Growing loss of services / access from some US banks

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: Growing loss of services / access from some US banks

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm

Why not just pay the higher per SMS charge under the regular plan?

We are only talking perhaps 6 SMS message per year depending on what you are doing.
Que será, será.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:39 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm

We are only talking perhaps 6 SMS message per year depending on what you are doing.
Yes, I agree if the only need is bank text authentication and it's only a handful or so a year, it could work. I'm not sure what the charge per text recieved in Chile on US phone is with no passport plan. Do you know what the charge per text recieved here is with no passport? Do US phones without a passport even try to roam with entel/claro/movistar? Before passport my us phone wouldn't even establish a mobile connection in Chile, just wifi

Ar any rate, for me, even though this thread is about banking, its more than that for me. I work in tech, and I need to be able to get "pages" which are really just sms texts. The texts/pages come from north american based monitoring systems (like Nagios) with many many monitors on different datacenters and services with 3, 4, and 5 9 SLAs. These monitoring systems are sending the texts by using ATTs email2sms service where the monitoring system emails an ATT address that triggers and SMS to my phone in Chile in near real time. However ATT doesnt support email2sms with international numbers...only US numbers

So if there is an outage...like a router interface drops or a firewall fails over, or a guy drives a backhoe into the fiber internet line 4 blocks from the datacenter (happened) it can trigger a flood of texts...like hundreds and hundreds of texts if there is a cascading failure where everything downstream from the actual failure starts alerting as well.
Phone blowing up = Sev 1
So for me it has to be unlimited texts. Otherwise even if someone makes a planned change that decommisions equipment but forgets to first disable monitoring...I dont want to be counting texts particularly for someone else making a mistake like that

I also need to be able to recieve phone calls for escalations from NOCs.. that at least in some cases they wont or cant dial an international number.

I've looked at alternatives before getting this att phone in 2018...and even had a jury rigged setup with an always on computer running outlook rules that triggered a Skype call to my Chile phone. But it was a nightmare.

We want to turn off wifi at night so I cant use that while I'm sleeping to get alerts. Or if I'm driving somewhere where there is no wifi. It all comes back to at least in my case needing the passport

I looked again recently at services like ipipi.com and textmagic which could work for only the banking case as they charge 10c per text You can run the app on your phone or computer to send recieve real sms texts internationally. Cheaper for sure if those really work and the banks havent blacklisted their SMS numbers somehow.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:18 am

yea, my u.s. bank, I tried adding a chilean direct cell phone number. their pulldown menu to select the country code was broken, and kept defaulting back to +1 u.s. dialing code, even though 56 was listed.

that was another round and round of 'we will have techincal support get in touch woth you' thingy; they never did.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

CyberG

Post by CyberG » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:16 pm

In the FAQ from textmagic they say:
Q: Can I use a dedicated number for verification purposes, i.e., bank confirmations, Google account verifications, etc.?

A: No, you cannot. Verification text messages are usually sent via SMS providers, like TextMagic, while a dedicated number can receive text messages only from regular mobile subscribers, not SMS providers.

I assume that ipipi will be in the same boat. That is the core of the one problem ... the banks have stopped accepting virtual phones. And as Admin noted, do not allow non-US mobile numbers either.

I still wonder what would be the case if having a US-based account from BCI or Banco de Chile. I have not had the time to check into that...

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:29 pm

mem wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:39 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm

Yes, I agree if the only need is bank text authentication and it's only a handful or so a year, it could work. I'm not sure what the charge per text recieved in Chile on US phone is with no passport plan. Do you know what the charge per text recieved here is with no passport? Do US phones without a passport even try to roam with entel/claro/movistar? Before passport my us phone wouldn't even establish a mobile connection in Chile, just wifi
I have an old LG dumphone (AT&T provided) on the cheapest plan that allows the activation of international roaming. It is around $55 month, each text message received costs $1.50 last time I looked. So if you get flooded, then that would be a costly problem.
Que será, será.

mem

Post by mem » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Ah yes the saga continues. It seems like an easy problem to solve for people like us.

A service should be able to provide a pool of real SMS US mobile numbers where you can rent a dedicated number and configure online SMS forwarding to a Chile number.

Ah but then you need a Chile plan with incoming international texts. Maybe it's free on the chile receiving end? I know when a friend texted me in Chile from the US he got hit with like a $5 surcharge for that 1 text. I was on a prepaid Chile number at that time so no idea what if anything I got dinged for that

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:15 pm

mem wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:04 pm
Ah yes the saga continues. It seems like an easy problem to solve for people like us.

A service should be able to provide a pool of real SMS US mobile numbers where you can rent a dedicated number and configure online SMS forwarding to a Chile number.

Ah but then you need a Chile plan with incoming international texts. Maybe it's free on the chile receiving end? I know when a friend texted me in Chile from the US he got hit with like a $5 surcharge for that 1 text. I was on a prepaid Chile number at that time so no idea what if anything I got dinged for that
I am on a normal plan here in Chile (actually rather cheap at 11.000 CLP per month) and my parents or US relatives will occasionally send me a text and I've never seen a large increase on my monthly bill from that. I think they likely paid more for it than I do.

nomad747

Post by nomad747 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Have you thought about switching to Paypal or similar online bank service. Paypal even issues pay cards (used just like a debit card) and allows for direct deposits from global locations as well. It could essentially replace your need for a US bank entirely. Paypal uses a platform called Tenpo (used to be MultiCaja) here in Chile to transact with your Chilean bank.

For the last 6 years I have been successfully transferring money between the US and Chile, in both directions, without issue...and the fees are typically on par with bank fees in the US. I log into to Tenpo to move funds between my Chile bank and Paypal (includes fees)...then I use paypal to move funds to/from my US bank (free of fees).

I do know of a few "latin friendly" banks with branches both in US and in Chile which may provide you more choices:
Scotiabank, Santander, BCI, Itau, BancoEstado
Also some financial services groups who may be able to offer you help : Bicecorp, Consorcio.

I agree with the previous suggestions to use VPN ...and for the phone number needed, maybe consider skype or another similar service. Skype can assign you landline numbers in any country or multiple countries of your choosing and you can enable text services for any of them as well.
I have steadily used 3 different country numbers for years now and have had zero issues when I am required to use landline services locally, it has been worth the cost to me!

CyberG

Post by CyberG » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks nomad747 ... I had considered PayPal for money xfers and the like, but when I last tried it, at least when it was MultiCaja, the xfer fee was % based. It has been much cheaper for me to do a single, large bank xfer with a flat fee, but now I can't initiate xfers remotely from either bank that I currently have (I could before I left for Chile). Plus I don't care for all of the extra steps just to pass around my own money. But I keep PayPal around as a backup option.

Yes, I need to check into "latin friendly" banks with branches both in US and in Chile, I still have not had the time to look into that option ... or start another thread specifically on that topic. But if anyone has any experience with any of them, I would appreciate your input.

As for Skype, can anyone confirm that its text messaging works for today's banking requirements? I already have Google Voice for calls and most texts, my only issue has been the bank's change in the last year that requires text messaging only from pure mobile numbers.

nomad747

Post by nomad747 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:03 pm

You're very welcome, I hope you can get it sorted....

You are very right about the percentage based fees!! I hastily compared them to bank fees because in my case I typically do not move more than 2-3000 USD at a time and typically that means my fees are only about 30-40 USD, As of this posting, Tenpo (previous MultiCaja) charges 1.75% of the total converted local value and you can only transfer up to a max of 10,000 USD monthly.

As for Skype, I should clarify that at my US banks, and for a few other "big business" services, I always opt out of "text" verification and alerts, I make them all contact me with an "audio" verification instead.

I understand some businesses, especially big banks, send communications from their "short code" rather than from an actual phone (you know, those texts received from a number that only shows 5 digits, or when youre asked to text a 5 digit number with a specific response). I believe Skype, and most others, do not support transfer of data from those short codes - posing the real problem here!

One of my US banks did not even provide an option out of text communications or to add "audio" confirms through my online portal, but they accommodated me rather easy after a phone call to customer service - I just had to wait another 24 hours in order for my online account to be updated directly.

Before phoning, I am always prepared with a speech about the insecurity of text messaging and its potential "risk to my security" if they try to insist. I have never been outright denied for services by demanding audio confirms instead, but it sometimes requires a little extra effort. Most all companies have a self-serving (internal) drive to encourage customers into text and mobile comms and will try to convince you it is not possible to do "audio" at first, but throwing out words like "risk to my security" in a phone call will usually put them back into compliance rather quickly:)

I've never had any issue adding my Skype number to company portals, including my banks - sorry:(

CyberG

Post by CyberG » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am

Thanks for the follow up. I got one of my banks to switch me over to audio verification. In their case I did not have to raise an issue. However, the one and only time that I used it via WebPay, the transaction did not work (nor did I get a call), but that could be caused by one of several other issues.

Anywho, on the same topic there was this news:
T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T Stop SMS Hijacks After Motherboard Investigation
it(.)slashdot(.)org /story/21/03/26/2054212/t-mobile-verizon-att-stop-sms-hijacks-after-motherboard-investigation

And yesterday I received an email from my other bank with an updated "Zelle Transfer Service Addendum" relating to those "short codes" being eliminated. So I guess we all need to wait to see what washes out from this once the services are adjusted ...

On the side, in the last few weeks I've had small (<$300 peso) surcharges added to some of my credit card payments with the hand card readers, when using my US credit card. The last place that this happened was at a Subway. I've refused those transactions and used a local debit card. But in one case the cashier accepted the charge without giving me the opportunity to choose. (I noticed it after the fact). Other places, like a Chinese restaurant and a Burger King did not (yet) have that extra charge. So now watch out for that if you use foreign credit cards!