Foreign credit cards no longer work?

General topics related to Living in Chile
User avatar
ExpatBob
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Secret underground bunker
Contact:

Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:05 pm

I should clarify, “don’t work in chile” It’s weird, they just don’t work. Like the network doesn’t even try. Called banks for confirmation and they are not even receiving the requests. Not just once, this is a recurring thing. Anyone know what is happening?

User avatar
DLPurser
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by DLPurser » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:16 pm

ExpatBob wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:05 pm
I should clarify, “don’t work in chile” It’s weird, they just don’t work. Like the network doesn’t even try. Called banks for confirmation and they are not even receiving the requests. Not just once, this is a recurring thing. Anyone know what is happening?

Used my USA Master Card at Sodimac yesterday without any problems.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8513
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Somewhere south of Valpo

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:22 pm

Use my Visa BoA card at Lider every week (last time the 22nd and plan to use again tomorrow) and the local supermarket chain without issues. Also a restaurant a couple of weeks ago.

Online, of course, is a different story as few places accept foreign cards for payment via WebPay.
Que será, será.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24151
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by admin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:26 pm

I rarely use my foriegn cards for direct purchases, but used them at atm like last week without a problem.

typically when I have had a problem, it is the security at the foriegn bank blocking a transaction because it is an unrecognized location.

so I found if I stick to purchases at a few regular locations, their security system will adapt and not flag them.

I have also run in to problems where my cards were blocked because of delays in when they hit the system. like I flew in one day from Colombia to southern chile. used the card in bogata, santiago, and puerto montt over about 8 hours. they all hit the foriegn bank system at the same time, making it look like I was in three different cities, thousands of miles apart, at the exact same time.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
ExpatBob
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Secret underground bunker
Contact:

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:29 pm

This is not a bank security thing, this is a network-in-chile thing. Like i said, the banks told me that there were not even attempted transactions on their record. I managed to get some cash out at an ATM but all cards have failed me at several grocery stores and even at the hospital. Maybe it’s santiago-specific.

papageno
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm
Location: Colorado & Puerto Varas

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by papageno » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:13 pm

ExpatBob wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:29 pm
This is not a bank security thing, this is a network-in-chile thing. Like i said, the banks told me that there were not even attempted transactions on their record. I managed to get some cash out at an ATM but all cards have failed me at several grocery stores and even at the hospital. Maybe it’s santiago-specific.
Were you trying to make a direct purchase on the grocery store's system at a major like Lider or Jumbo, or do the stores you tried use WebPay? If the latter, that might be the problem. I have never had a card refused when using it in person at a physical location (even when the merchant uses WebPay), but ALL attempts to use WebPay with my U.S. cards have failed when trying to pay online.

User avatar
ExpatBob
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Secret underground bunker
Contact:

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Not sure if they use webpay. Their machines are the same as they have always been and these are stores i have shopped at for years with no problems. I’ve always run into the same issues online though— webpay is crap.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8513
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Somewhere south of Valpo

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Just an info point, these are the chip cards where all you do is insert in the slot at the bottom of the machine?
Que será, será.

papageno
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm
Location: Colorado & Puerto Varas

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by papageno » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:38 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:32 pm
Just an info point, these are the chip cards where all you do is insert in the slot at the bottom of the machine?
The newest card readers allow you to just hold the (chipped)card above the screen, physical contact isn't required.

User avatar
ExpatBob
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Secret underground bunker
Contact:

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:56 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:32 pm
Just an info point, these are the chip cards where all you do is insert in the slot at the bottom of the machine?
Yes

User avatar
ExpatBob
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Secret underground bunker
Contact:

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Found something interesting.

So, these are Transbank machines. Not webpay.

In all the years I have been in Chile, never once has a foreign debit/credit card worked as "debito" for me, only as "credito"
Until now. Credito no longer works as an option, but Debito does. How they worked this, who knows. But no pin was required and no signature either. Looks like ripe pickings for the fraudsters.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24151
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by admin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:55 pm

ExpatBob wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Found something interesting.

So, these are Transbank machines. Not webpay.

In all the years I have been in Chile, never once has a foreign debit/credit card worked as "debito" for me, only as "credito"
Until now. Credito no longer works as an option, but Debito does. How they worked this, who knows. But no pin was required and no signature either. Looks like ripe pickings for the fraudsters.
I have noticed that small transactions 9ften no longer require a pin.

I also went to the ATM about two months ago, and several of my cards were rejected. there however was an obvious "time out" going on, and I knew it was simply not able to contact the foriegn bank processor. next day worked fine. sometimes there are just days where the networks are not talking.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply