Foreign credit cards no longer work?

General topics related to Living in Chile
ExpatBob

Re: Foreign credit cards no longer work?

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:57 pm

The timeout stuff has an obvious delay while the network tries to connect. This new thing does not-- it's an immediate decline on credit attempt. They clearly have switched the way the machines run transactions. Anyways, hopefully this helps someone in the same boat who finds themselves at the grocery checkout with inability to pay.

papageno

Post by papageno » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:08 pm

ExpatBob wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Found something interesting.

So, these are Transbank machines. Not webpay.

In all the years I have been in Chile, never once has a foreign debit/credit card worked as "debito" for me, only as "credito"
Until now. Credito no longer works as an option, but Debito does. How they worked this, who knows. But no pin was required and no signature either. Looks like ripe pickings for the fraudsters.
Good point, all my experiences here involve Transbank machines.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 pm

ExpatBob wrote:

In all the years I have been in Chile, never once has a foreign debit/credit card worked as "debito" for me, only as "credito"
Until now. Credito no longer works as an option, but Debito does. How they worked this, who knows. But no pin was required and no signature either. Looks like ripe pickings for the fraudsters.
This changed to me last year around May. All of my cards stopped working as "credit" and were only accepted as "debit".
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:49 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 pm
ExpatBob wrote:

This changed to me last year around May. All of my cards stopped working as "credit" and were only accepted as "debit".
That's interesting. I learned early on in Chile to say "credit" rather than "debit" for all foreign cards, even if they were debit. I've still been saying credit for my Halifax Clarity UK credit card this year and it still works. I'll try switching over if it rejects.

That card has been the best I've ever had for both success rate and how little I get charged. I would reccomend applying for it for UK residents planning to live in Chile.

One of the reasons I have a success rate of 90%+ at the moment is because I mostly use that card. I get more rejections with other cards so I mostly use the Clarity for now.

I haven't bought anything in December, but the rest of the year at least was fine.

I use my Chile account for online payments. Webpay was always a tremendous annoyance with foreign cards. Now that I have a Banco de Chile cards, it works much better. For those of you that have no Chile bank account and live in Chile, if it's really really important that you pay for something online try blocking out half an hour of time and go through 3 or 4 cards one after the other until you get a hit. The odds of it working for me were under 50/50 with one card, but over 50/50 if I tried various. Barclays debit was sometimes a winner with Webpay. But, if you don't have a Chilean account, also consider avoiding purchasing things online that aren't really important, it's not worth the hassle of Webpay plus delivery issues.

I had a very high card failure rate of about 50/50 in 2017, which I documented here
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14560
To get round this issue, at the time I always carried 2-3 cards plus cash.
From 2014-2016 and 2018-2020 the success rate is more like 90%+.
I think some of the 10% or less failures are due to people in the store pressing the wrong options.
Occassionally I ask them what options they pressed and make a suggestion as to how they could do it differently, or get them to give me the machine. That can often work.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:55 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 pm
ExpatBob wrote:

Yes, several months ago the transbank processing of a Visa "debit" card changed for me too. Now it fails as "credit" (but before -- the only way to process it was as "credit") and is now only accepted as "debit".
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:58 pm

On a sidenote; even before the masks, chilean cashiers had problems hearing whether a foreigner says credito or debito. With a mask on, that is now even worse...

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:18 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:58 pm
On a sidenote; even before the masks, chilean cashiers had problems hearing whether a foreigner says credito or debito. With a mask on, that is now even worse...
Yeah everyone understood nearly everything I said before COVID, with the masks not so good. Totally same experience. I end up more of less shouting what I want to buy so everyone in the store can hear what I'm saying lol.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:57 am

ExpatBob wrote:

Webpay is Transbank's online purchasing/payment service.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

mem

Post by mem » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 am

I have not used a credit card for point of sale in person at a store for a long time

However I can confirm the Transbank shenanigans. I was trying to charge to a US amex in Santiago for a major purchase and even with AMEX on the line the transaction was not going through. They said they didnt even see it

Another more recent challenge has been Chilean retailers adopting Fpay which seems to have broken many foreign credit cards for online sales. It looked like it was trying to do microdeposits to the credit card for confirmation while actually submitting a transaction. Ofcourse thata not going to work when it doesnt even tell you to go check for microdeposits and of course it can take hours or days to confirm micro deposits...so naturally the transaction is declined. This was a couple months ago and I gave up. Could be related

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Used my card at Lider today, no problem with choosing "Credit" at the auto-checkout.
Que será, será.

papageno

Post by papageno » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:57 pm

Used my chipped car today < NO EMAIL > Jumbo & 2 other stores today, no problems (other than having to repeat "credito"...)

proger

Post by proger » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:41 pm

if you hold ONLY foreign payment card there is no cure for your problem.
as already noticed transbank webpay is total crap.
you can try and combine it with Mercado Pago that can be useful for some things.
but get your Tarjeta nacional to avoid problems.