Consumer protection/ refunds

General topics related to Living in Chile
nosaj

Consumer protection/ refunds

Post by nosaj » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Hey everyone, I hope you all are are having a festive Christmas (as safely as possible)
I have a question regarding consumer protection in Chile.
I recently purchased a new 4x4 bumper online. Paid in full and the bumper was sent to me. The only problem is that it was completely the wrong one. Nothing like I ordered.
I took this up with them immediately and requested a refund.
After some back and forth they agreed to refund me. I told them I will only send the product back to them once they have sent me proof that they have made the refund.
The item arrived on Dec 4th and I have been trying to get the refund since then.
They just keep saying they will look into it and get back to me, but they never do...
What kind of recourse do I have?
I paid through their website which uses Mercado Pago.
Any advice will be appreciated 🙏

Zenth

Re: Consumer protection/ refunds

Post by Zenth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:29 pm

No one will give you a refund without first receiving the item. You must have initially trusted the seller. You sent money first, then waited for the item.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:43 pm

Mercadolibre? You should be covered under their customer protection policy. Open a reclamo (assuming this was through Mercadolibre) via the site through the recorded sale to begin the correct process of a refund or a replacement.
Que será, será.

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Zenth wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:29 pm
No one will give you a refund without first receiving the item. You must have initially trusted the seller. You sent money first, then waited for the item.
HI Zenth,
Yes I initially trusted them, but lost trust when they clearly sent the wrong item. I don't mind sending the item back but don't want to be in the same situation without anything to show for it.
So let's say I send it back and they still don't pay me back? What recourse do I have?

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:04 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:43 pm
Mercadolibre? You should be covered under their customer protection policy. Open a reclamo (assuming this was through Mercadolibre) via the site through the recorded sale to begin the correct process of a refund or a replacement.
It was through their website, not Mercadolibre.. But they use Mercado Pago to process their payments..

paladin

Post by paladin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:56 pm

I would suggest you send it back, as if not, there’s no way you’ll get your refund.
At the moment, you’ve spent your money and have something useless. If you send it back and dont get a refund, then you’ve spent your money and have nothing, so it’s basically the same. Rather take the risk and send it back.

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:01 pm

So turns out there is consumer protection in Chile and its dealt with through SERNAC. Seems to be fairly straightforward to open a dispute if a company isn't playing by the rules.