Constutional Congress Election

General topics related to Living in Chile
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24143
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Constutional Congress Election

Post by admin » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:50 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:04 pm
admin wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:49 pm
I nominate bikini models and professional comedians to write the constution.

If a bunch of unqualified people are going to write the constution, they should at least be entertaining.

say, what ever happened to that nice dog that wondered on to the floor of congress last year?

Him too. Although he might be over qualified, and probably has better things to do.

The dog wouldn’t gualify he was in Congress.......
well, he can still run for president. would not want to waist his talents on shuffling paperwork (aka writing a constution).

That dog makes me chuckle everytime I think about him. He ran in to the congress building to get away from the tear gas and noise from the protests outside, and had this look on his face on the floor of the congress, "what the hell is wrong with you people, why don't you people do something about this"?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Irishman
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:23 am
Location: Niebla

Re: Constutional Congress Election

Post by Irishman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:07 pm

I love Biden's Irish connection. Since JFK, there hasn't really been one as potent

jb_chile
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:30 am
Location: USA

Re: Constutional Congress Election

Post by jb_chile » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:02 am

I saw this on wikipedia "A third vote, which is expected to occur no later than August 2022, will accept or reject the new constitution after it is drafted" Is that true or is there reasonably possible way that may be extended ?
I am not your doctor, lawyer, accountant, broker, financial professional or other advisor. Consider all my posts entertainment.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Constutional Congress Election

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:17 am

jb_chile wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:02 am
I saw this on wikipedia "A third vote, which is expected to occur no later than August 2022, will accept or reject the new constitution after it is drafted" Is that true or is there reasonably possible way that may be extended ?
Depends if there is another pandemic I guess, its all been pushed back at least 6 months already because of Covid. The third vote was originally for the end of 2021. Assuming no pandemic and or an act of god like a devastating earthquake, theres probably no need to push it out further.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Constutional Congress Election

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am

Ive been thinking about this lately, and talking to people about this. As I mentioned yesterday when I was going on about the virus and why I dont hold out much hope for anything changing with the constitution process, and indeed it could make things worse.

This is my theory and just my opinion, and no one can predict the future, but the reason basically comes down to the self centred nature of Chileans (this is true in most countries).

While there has been material economic good times for many in Chile for the last 30 years or so, it has always been about 'me' or 'what can I get'? this has gone on over the last 50 years in Chile, in fact probably a lot longer, but lets say 50 years this 'revolutionary' shit has been going on, and where are we ? What has the country got? A bit more of material wealth a few more rights for people but essentially its still everyman (and woman) out for himself.

The country (very few countries are any different) is split and fractured and no one looks at their own actions or tries to be wise and virtuous , i.e having or showing high moral standards, and acting appropriately in society and with their fellow citizens, so until that happens this shit is going to carry on back and forth for the next 50 years or so.

It will carry on until enough people become exhausted and use their conscience and realise they can actually be self interested but they can also think of the greater good, all this shit about pensions, healthcare, the elite, blah blah blah, are just political side shows from hypocrites all the way from Pinera and the elite down to the flaites and criminals, until the egos are put to one side in society nothing is going to improve.

Of course all this is able to be explained in any number of philosophy's and religions, but the individual in Chile thinks they are better than that and dont need that, they know best and they are right, its an immature attitude, but it is what it is, just an observation. Maybe future All Chilean members in 50 years will still be discussing the 'issues' in Chilean (insert just about any other country) society.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Constutional Congress Election

Post by Space Cat » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:01 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am
The country (very few countries are any different) is split and fractured and no one looks at their own actions or tries to be wise and virtuous , i.e having or showing high moral standards, and acting appropriately in society and with their fellow citizens, so until that happens this shit is going to carry on back and forth for the next 50 years or so.
[...]
Of course all this is able to be explained in any number of philosophy's and religions, but the individual in Chile thinks they are better than that and dont need that, they know best and they are right, its an immature attitude, but it is what it is, just an observation. Maybe future All Chilean members in 50 years will still be discussing the 'issues' in Chilean (insert just about any other country) society.
Buddhists say that the human mind has many different potentials, including the three defilements: greed, aversion, and delusion. People are deluded in the sense of having wrong ideas of where to find true happiness, so they end up clinging to some kinds of experiences (things, emotions, ideas, situations) and rejecting others. It produces more "complex" harmful behaviors and, as a result, conflicts.

Any modern society has glorification of consumerism, individualism, and self-indulgence echoing through its media 24/7. Chile is still relatively healthy if you compare it to the collective insanity going in the cultures like the US, UK, or Russia, but I don't think it will get significantly better in 50 years, even if the new constitution is successful. If anything, recorded history shows that it all can go bad very quickly.

The last two years taught me that there's no sense in being stressed about society at large. Even when it all looks like a steamroller crash in slow motion, and everybody has enough time to prepare, people still end up making the dumbest decisions possible because of the pettiest selfish reasons.

I don't see any solutions beyond focusing the attention on my own actions and trying to become, as you said, more wise and virtuous. Others will keep doing dumb shit whether I worry about them or not, so I'd better worry about not doing it myself and spend my energy on something I can actually improve.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Constutional Congress Election

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:30 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:01 pm
41southchile wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am
The country (very few countries are any different) is split and fractured and no one looks at their own actions or tries to be wise and virtuous , i.e having or showing high moral standards, and acting appropriately in society and with their fellow citizens, so until that happens this shit is going to carry on back and forth for the next 50 years or so.
[...]
Of course all this is able to be explained in any number of philosophy's and religions, but the individual in Chile thinks they are better than that and dont need that, they know best and they are right, its an immature attitude, but it is what it is, just an observation. Maybe future All Chilean members in 50 years will still be discussing the 'issues' in Chilean (insert just about any other country) society.
Buddhists say that the human mind has many different potentials, including the three defilements: greed, aversion, and delusion. People are deluded in the sense of having wrong ideas of where to find true happiness, so they end up clinging to some kinds of experiences (things, emotions, ideas, situations) and rejecting others. It produces more "complex" harmful behaviors and, as a result, conflicts.

Any modern society has glorification of consumerism, individualism, and self-indulgence echoing through its media 24/7. Chile is still relatively healthy if you compare it to the collective insanity going in the cultures like the US, UK, or Russia, but I don't think it will get significantly better in 50 years, even if the new constitution is successful. If anything, recorded history shows that it all can go bad very quickly.

The last two years taught me that there's no sense in being stressed about society at large. Even when it all looks like a steamroller crash in slow motion, and everybody has enough time to prepare, people still end up making the dumbest decisions possible because of the pettiest selfish reasons.

I don't see any solutions beyond focusing the attention on my own actions and trying to become, as you said, more wise and virtuous. Others will keep doing dumb shit whether I worry about them or not, so I'd better worry about not doing it myself and spend my energy on something I can actually improve.
Very well put, always enjoy reading your posts, while I dont always agree with 100 percent of what you say sometimes, it makes me think about things more. Actually I dont think I would agree 100 percent about everything with anyone in the world. Anyway, my thoughts exactly in your post above, well summed up. Hopefully people will start thinking morelike you wrote in your last paragraph and focus on improving themselves with knowledge and wisdom, and if they dont, well thats their issue, not mine. Take it easy. Cheers.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Post Reply