The Vote to Write a New Constution for Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: The Vote to Write a New Constution for Chile

Post by Britkid » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:12 pm

Yeah I saw that...so for cities and regions not one I think?

Looks like my prediction of 60% turnout was about right as well.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:29 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:04 pm
please???? venezuela has been rotten to the core with corruption since the start.. that vote on particular set a record for corruption, even by venezuela standards.
The "Fifth Republic" refers to the fact that in 1997 the Republic of Venezuela was the fourth in Venezuelan history, and the Movement aimed to re-found the Republic through a constituent assembly. Following Chávez' 1998 election victory, this took place in 1999, leading to the 1999 Constitution of Venezuela.
I believe we are in the same place now in Chile. Nobody has questioned the legality of that vote; the Venezuelan public believed Chávez's promises, in fact he is still highly-regarded in Venezuela by many. I saw it when I was there - politically stirred-up greed, resentment and envy disguised as demands for "Equality". Oh, and yes, plenty of corruption by the workers representatives as well. No sympathy from me, they believed the promises and got what they deserve for being mugs.

Chilezuela: I said we were heading a there a year ago, and today's result gives me no reason to change my mind.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:44 pm

Hedging and escape hatch plans. Glad I never bought property (yet) and the second one is difficult as the USA might be in a civil war/military rule soon so the plan might be to move into a Chile rural area that was not soooo blind on the unicorn promises of a new constitution (which I will indeed participate in by voting giving the CC electees the benefit of the doubt to prove to me that they are really coming through on those rainbow promises). EMOL has a good interactive page on the vote by region and comunas FWIW.
Que será, será.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:33 am

Get ready for the huge hangover now as everyone realizes shit hasn't changed and won't in a hurry.
The country still faces all the same issues, a message may have been sent to the political class, but they are not the only ones that need to change, things will not magically change in the country/society because of what happened today, despite the hype.
I'll give it a year at most perhaps and I'll bet there will be rather a few less allchileans calling Chile home anymore.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:39 am

78.27% for approve was the final this morning.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

alextrombone

Post by alextrombone » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:57 am

The right have been warning about “Chilezuela” for like 30 years, this is not a new concept.

I believe like 95% of the people elected to draft Venezuela’s constitution were members of MVR. In Chile there will be (hopefully) a far more diverse assembly.

Also, Chile lacks a character like Chavez who people will tie their mast to.

Most people who voted Apruebo aren’t these beret wearing Marxists with Che Guevara t-shits. I imagine the majority are centre left, even centrists.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:06 am

41southchile wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:33 am
Get ready for the huge hangover now as everyone realizes shit hasn't changed and won't in a hurry.
The country still faces all the same issues, a message may have been sent to the political class, but they are not the only ones that need to change, things will not magically change in the country/society because of what happened today, despite the hype.
I'll give it a year at most perhaps and I'll bet there will be rather a few less allchileans calling Chile home anymore.
first, absultly nothing is changing for at least three years. they got to elect a body to write it, write a new constution, and then pass it in another referendum. They might never get past the point of just agreeing on amendments, let alone selling it to the country. In three years, there is a good chance we end-up right back where we are now.

Then they are going to have to come up with some transition mechanism to quare the current constution and laws with whatever it is they write. Probably another 5 to 10 years. The implementation might take decades.

As for the gringos, naaaa. I thought we were toast after the 2010 earthquake. I was certain we were never going to see another gringo.

Instead my phone was ringing off the hook. I was like, "great I will get back to you as soon as the country is back up and running".

They were like, "no, I want buy right now and move to chile".

I was like, "you have seen the news right"?

People were getting mad at me. I hardly had stable eletricity and phone service, and hundreds (we were thinking thousands) of people were still missing. we were still trying to figure out how bad it really was.

I had a few clients that for some reason had simply not connected the disaster with where we were, but for the most part people were aware and still wanted to move to chile.

The little wankers on the left just got sold a box full rainbows and unicorns, that it will take them a generation to figure out there is nothing new in the box.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:20 am

guess another way to put it, there is no magical short-cut to development.

The country still has to put in the hard work of basic economics 101. like build an education system that works, build an export industry that does more than pushes dirt around, atract foriegn investors, etc, etc.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:40 am

This article has a breakdown of what comes next:

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... hora.shtml
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:02 am

A Tweet from Big Brother:
Felicitaciones.png
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:06 am

admin wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:06 am
41southchile wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:33 am
first, absultly nothing is changing for at least three years. they got to elect a body to write it, write a new constution, and then pass it in another referendum. They might never get past the point of just agreeing on amendments, let alone selling it to the country. In three years, there is a good chance we end-up right back where we are now.

Then they are going to have to come up with some transition mechanism to quare the current constution and laws with whatever it is they write. Probably another 5 to 10 years. The implementation might take decades.

As for the gringos, naaaa. I thought we were toast after the 2010 earthquake. I was certain we were never going to see another gringo.

Instead my phone was ringing off the hook. I was like, "great I will get back to you as soon as the country is back up and running".

They were like, "no, I want buy right now and move to chile".

I was like, "you have seen the news right"?

People were getting mad at me. I hardly had stable eletricity and phone service, and hundreds (we were thinking thousands) of people were still missing. we were still trying to figure out how bad it really was.

I had a few clients that for some reason had simply not connected the disaster with where we were, but for the most part people were aware and still wanted to move to chile.

The little wankers on the left just got sold a box full rainbows and unicorns, that it will take them a generation to figure out there is nothing new in the box.
Earthquakes are other natural disasters they are easy and able to be recovered from reasonably quickly.
Its the self induced political decisions left to the populace, and populists that screw otherwise functionong countries.
Ain't no rainbows and unicorns coming anyone's ways and when they realise that, then the frustration and dysfunction begins as the investors and educated head for the door.
Chile is not special, the are like a crying baby who got given a lollipop to distract them from their issues.

Political hacks were on the TV last night all falling over themselves to congratulate the 40 percent of the country who think they are going to change the world .(only 50 percent voted)

Monday morning seems like everything has changed but guess what? Nothing has changed.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:34 am

Venezuela was a corrupt petro state that collapsed due to corruption and the price of oil falling. It's a weak comparison to the current situation in Chile.

If Chile wants higher pensions, better education and health care, i.e. a larger government, then it means more taxes. The logical solution is a moderate increase to middle class taxes, and a high increase to upper class taxes.

One other possible magic short cut that might work is to do well out of the copper, lithium etc etc, and taking care to make sure that all these funds go to the state.

If neither of those works, then I don't see how things can change that much.

A few things might be fixed without needing much more money from the government, minimum wage and water rights perhaps.

Luckily Chile is in a stronger position than some countries with debt at a smaller % of GDP. Thanks are owed to those who managed the fiscal situation responsibly and left some breathing room. I expect Chile#s debt to GDP ratio will increase this decade as they try to manage the society's demands for more free stuff against the inevitable opposition to big tax increases.