Solar PV in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Re: Solar PV in Chile

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:08 am

Britkid wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 pm
If you need to be 100% sure that you will never, ever have a power cut even for 5 minutes during the night after 2 weeks of the darkest possible skies then you need either an lot of batteries, a lot of panels, or a or a noisy, polluting diesel generator. So to go from "I can accept two power cuts a year" to "I can´t accept even one" is a big cost add.
Yeah. I can agree with that.
I had been mostly questioning the government scheme referred to initially, which didn't impress me much. Since I see that in fact you already have installed this bigger system that includes storage, I will look more closely through the comprehensive info provided. Appreciate it.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 am

yea, I am aware there would be all sorts of regulatory blocks to just selling to some random nieghbor, but we technically own the house next door. the titles on both houses are in my wife's name for asset protection reasons.

besides, rural south. I am sure both the prosecutors and electric company both have better things to do than pick a fight with us over what we do with excess eletricity from our solar panels. pretty certain it would not end well for them.

funny story. years ago we rented a house. first couple months we got the electric bill, and it said we used zero eletricity. thought that was strange, but o.k.

second bill with zero charge, I went to investigate. discovered the previous renter had jammed a piece of wood in to the meter wheel.

so we reported it to the regulators and the electric company. took them three months to get around to sending someone out to look at it. they documented it, took photos, etc. never heard another word about it. they never fixed it.

we moved out of that house, having never paid an electric bill. as we had properly reported it, was not our problem.

so, yea, they dont even seem all that concerned with people outright ripping them off, so doubt they are too concerned about people generating their own juice.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm

I thought you would say something like that!

I would some up the pros and cons of solar like this:

Pros
Climate change/pollution
Probably cheaper in the long run
Avoiding power cuts (if specified as such)

Cons
Have to pay up-front
Some hassle/time/stress invested at the start

It is a bit more complex than I thought. Having done it I reccomend to do a fair amount of research, or use a very trusted and well reccomended installer, or both.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about solar either now or in the future.

I will perhaps update this thread next year as well when I have worked out how much I saved in the first year and from there my estimated break even point can be calculated.