Presidential Request To Speed Up Immigration

General topics related to Living in Chile
vamoschile

Presidential Request To Speed Up Immigration

Post by vamoschile » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Let me start out by saying I have lived in Chile for 1.5 years and I am currently waiting for my permanent residency which according to extrangeria twitter account can take about 1.5 years. My wife is Chilean and pregenant and we are currently taking care of my mother-in-law who has stage 4 colon cancer. My wife has a higher risk pregnancy and can't do a lot of the errands and things to take care of my mother-in-law. I am the only one that is taking her to and from the hospital for treatment, scans, dr appointments, etc. I have run into multiple issues where not having an effective carnet has caused me pain even though Chile has extended the expiration until December.

We have some Chilean friends who work for the government and recommended we write a letter to President Pinera asking for help on speeding up my immigration process so I can more effective take car of my mother-in-law who is Chilean and should be taken care of by the state since she has a low ficha social. They claimed since I am the main care giver for both my mother-in-law and pregenant wife I could request expedited services. Curious if anyone has experience or thoughts on writing to the President to speed up processes.

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Presidential Request To Speed Up Immigration

Post by admin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:44 pm

You can write to him, but you should try santa and tooth fairy first.

You are more likely to get a response from them, and they probably have more influence over the immigration process.

That is simply not how the beucracy works in chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:16 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:44 pm
You can write to him, but you should try santa and tooth fairy first.

You are more likely to get a response from them, and they probably have more influence over the immigration process.

That is simply not how the beucracy works in chile.
That's what I thought as well. Our friends insist that he can and has helped them on multiple things. I will give it a shot and see what happens as dealing with an expired carnet and trying to run errands for my mother-in-law is become extremely annoying explaining the situation over and over again and sometimes to the same people.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Careful.

The root to all beucratic evil, is paved with well intentioned friends.

Let me put it this way.

Having "friends" or "connections" is one thing. Knowing how best to employee those resources is far more of an art than a science; because the results can be counter productive and often unpredictable.

Also, in chilean culture, and beucracy, drawing attention to your particular situation from above, is often not very welcome to whatever beucrats are in charge of your file. When pressured, and their own job is put in question or at risk, we have seen low level beucrats exercise what little power they have. Which typically is fairly limited, and typically is simply reject or accept. Usually, they reject it to be on the safe side.

Chilean beucracy is very very fragile, and forcing a low level beucrat to work outside their box will often break it.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:50 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:41 pm
Careful.

The root to all beucratic evil, is paved with well intentioned friends.

Let me put it this way.

Having "friends" or "connections" is one thing. Knowing how best to employee those resources is far more of an art than a science; because the results can be counter productive and often unpredictable.

Also, in chilean culture, and beucracy, drawing attention to your particular situation from above, is often not very welcome to whatever beucrats are in charge of your file. When pressured, and their own job is put in question or at risk, we have seen low level beucrats exercise what little power they have. Which typically is fairly limited, and typically is simply reject or accept. Usually, they reject it to be on the safe side.

Chilean beucracy is very very fragile, and forcing a low level beucrat to work outside their box will often break it.
Exactly 💯 % spot on.
Going above some burrocrat may have worked in the 70s and 80s, not so much nowadays, and may, as you say Admin, have a negative impact on what you are trying to achieve.
At best the desk jockey burrocrat may put your file at the bottom of the pile if they start getting heat from further up, at worse, well........
I had a situation with a old school engineer who I contracted to present some paperwork to Vialidad, he completly fucked up my case by threatening the front line staff with the " you guys are useless and I know the regional manager crap" they basically put my file at the bottom of the pile and wouldn't move on it.
He kept making excuses why it wasn't approved then told me one day what he had done and how incompetent they were, I stopped working with him after that. I got it sorted in the end with grovelling and new people helping, but lost unnecessary time.
Don't burn bridges with the front line burrocrats , smile and play the game.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:06 pm

You also have to keep in mind that many chileans, as a culture, in general have two problems.

1. A miss placed belief that the country is more currupt than it is. A lot of causes of this, but one of the prime ones is a media and bunch of left politicians pushing the narrative that 'look that person is rich and successful, so they must be engaging in paying someone off or are swapping favors'. Thus, they try to emulate this imaginary 'power dynamic', that simply does not exist. Call it ' ameture curruption hour' or something

2. An over inflated sense of their own importance, causing an inflated belief in just how influential they really are. Having say once met a government official in a casual setting, they somehow translate that in their head as having some 'special connection'; when, in fact, there is no such connection.

Those with actual experience in the inner workings of government circles and power dynamics, never do any of that because they burn out favors, political capital, and wear out their welcome too quickly before they actually gain any real influence or are able to solve any real practical problems. People with real influence in the government or politics, can smell a pretender miles away, and know to stay way away from them.

st130811

Post by st130811 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Not that Admin needs someone saying he's right, but yes.
I tried going over the head of the local dept of transito because they wouldn't take my apostilled master's degree or college degree in place of 8th grade. The email from the national MTT confirmed that my docs were acceptable and that the local guy had to accept them, but when I went back the guy became totally uncooperative. Never could get a DL there. Lesson learned about going over people's heads, even when you are right.