Is Embalse el Yeso open?

General topics related to Living in Chile
Curtez

Is Embalse el Yeso open?

Post by Curtez » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Hey all, hope the 18 was great for everyone.

Anyone know if Embalse el Yeso is open and accessible for camping, etc.?

Thanks!

curtez

admin
Site Admin

Re: Is Embalse el Yeso open?

Post by admin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:38 pm

As far as i know all parks and camping areas are still closed.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Curtez

Post by Curtez » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 am

Bleh. I was afraid to hear that, but figured as such... Thanks!

curtez

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am

admin wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:38 pm
And yet malls can open?, no wonder people think the whole thing is a farce when "protocols" are compromised by money, what justifiable reasons are there for having hiking trails and outdoor parks closed?.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:46 am

41southchile wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am
admin wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:38 pm
And yet malls can open?, no wonder people think the whole thing is a farce when "protocols" are compromised by money, what justifiable reasons are there for having hiking trails and outdoor parks closed?.
Sun (Vitamin D3), air and open spaces, exactly what the traditional doctors ordered. The questionable reason, "this is for the safety of park workers" <period> <no criticism or questioning wanted or needed> <double period>
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:54 am

I fully agree that it is strange that exercise areas are closed while malls are open.

There are long queues in the malls and it's fairly busy. Meanwhile I could hit a mountain trail and often not see another person for hours.

I think the argument they will give you is that the mall is about people's jobs, keeping the economy going and therefore improving well being. Some of the people at the mall are literally there to earn money to put good quality nutritious food on the table, others just to maintain their current moderate standing of living and not take a step back. Therefore, they balance the economic related benefits with the risks. With opening a camp ground, there isn't such a benefit, and the benefits of fresh air and exercise are ignored because of the mentality.

Of course, you can easily see this as a critique of the excesses of neoliberal capitalism. Or, if you prefer, a critique of Chilean society and people which is all focused on material wealth at the individual as well as systemic level.

There is a quite a difference to the UK where even in the severe quarantine phase of around March/April where you only went out for prescriptions or supermarket mostly, there was still a rule saying go out for exercise once a day if you want to.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Britkid wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:54 am
Of course, you can easily see this as a critique of the excesses of neoliberal capitalism. Or, if you prefer, a critique of Chilean society and people which is all focused on material wealth at the individual as well as systemic level.
I see this as a government overreaction prompted more by fears of accusations of negligence (or worse) by the opposition rather than by any need for sanitary precautions in those areas.

But the accusations, made in bad faith as usual, came anyway. Here its "damned if you do, damned if you don't"

https://ellibero.cl/carta/acusaciones-contra-manalich/
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:40 pm

You know, I was pissed about the whole closure of the lakes down south as a rather silly precaution.

In theory, I should be able to go out boating all day, and never need to interact with anyone outside the immediate family.

But, when I thought about it, without fail, every time I taken my boat out, and I am getting it prepped, some moron insist on walking up to me to hold a conversation at less than 1 meter away. I have gotten to the point where I just stop. Talk to them until they are tired, and then go back to prepping the boat, because the distraction at that critical moment as I am going through the checklist in my head is probably more likely to kill me than the covid.

I guess you could say, social distancing does not come naturally to Chileans.

I have seen it fly fishing in the Patagonia. I am alone a river. No one else around, and one other Chilean fishermen shows up and will come plop down on the bank to start talking to me or start fishing directly next to me. Like, there is literally no one else on that river for 20 km in any direction, on either bank of the river.

There is this strange clingy social thing that Chileans have going on, especially in remote or outdoor settings. Like they are afraid of being alone. I have seen it also in more urban settings too. Like being in a restaurant that is completely empty, and it is a certainty the waiter is going to sit the only other group of people right next to you (typically with small children). Same thing with like building houses nearly on top of each other, with no setback to the next property (even if there is plenty of space).

So if you are out camping in say the Patagonia, and there is only one other human being within 100 square km of your camp site, and they are Chilean, you can be certain they are going to setup their tent right next to you.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:52 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:40 pm

There is this strange clingy social thing that Chileans have going on, especially in remote or outdoor settings. Like they are afraid of being alone. I have seen it also in more urban settings too. Like being in a restaurant that is completely empty, and it is a certainty the waiter is going to sit the only other group of people right next to you (typically with small children). Same thing with like building houses nearly on top of each other, with no setback to the next property (even if there is plenty of space).

So if you are out camping in say the Patagonia, and there is only one other human being within 100 square km of your camp site, and they are Chilean, you can be certain they are going to setup their tent right next to you.
Yeah, thinking some more, the authorities may be right regardless of whatever prompted their decision. Not just a Chilean thing either, even the standoffish English seem to like huddling together.
UK beach town raises alarm as huge crowds ignore COVID advice and flock to the coast.png
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:04 pm

admin, that's quite the opposite of my experience, I find Chileans more reticent to approach me and talk,

could be some regional differences here though - Santiago area vs patagonia.

or maybe I just look more like a psycho than you lol.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Seems to me that open or closed means very little in Chile. The fishing season opens on 12 October, and yet I see people fishing every day. Have had people asking permission to fish on my land as well.
Ive personally watched Sernapesca drive right past fisherman without even slowing down. For what its worth.

Curtez

Post by Curtez » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:36 am

To "close the Andes" but have the Nike store open is simply intellectually dishonest. Period.
A cheap, easy, idiotic not well-thought-out plan to show that they "did something."

Wandering around deep in the mountains exercising. = Bad
Wandering around the mall pounding down junk food and 5L cokes with 5,000 people. = Good

Can't say I'm surprised...