Home insurance

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Home insurance

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:51 pm

I'm currently looking to get a home insurance policy on my apartment and I was wondering if any of you had any experiences to share. Are there any companies that I should avoid? Is there something that works differently in Chile?

Also, is there any company that sells insurance 100% online? I would rather not waste time talking over the phone (or worse, going to an office) unless I have no option.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid

Re: Home insurance

Post by Britkid » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:20 pm

You may have read it already but if not this thread is worth reading all the way through: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9824

Or perhaps you were looking for something more recent.

Chilena Consolidada I had to go the office first year, but since then renewal is online or phone. I can't remember which but it's easy.

Don't use Falabella for any insurance.

See thread for further details.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:00 pm

I am always afraid to recommend an insurance company publicly, for fear of jinxing them.

Without fail, a perfectly good insurance company we have worked with for years will screw something up the next day.

That said, insurance is generally well regulated in chile. If you are really worried, get two policies.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Oddly in chile,the insurance adjusters seem to be super overly helpful. The last one we filed we tried to file a claim for like 200,000 pesos. By the time we were done, the adjuster had filed a claim for 1.2 million. Not sure what the deal is. Like they get a commission for handling bigger claims; or, they just enjoy screwing the company they work for over.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:12 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:14 pm
Like they get a commission for handling bigger claims; or, they just enjoy screwing the company they work for over.
"Por que no los dos?"
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:00 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:12 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:14 pm
Like they get a commission for handling bigger claims; or, they just enjoy screwing the company they work for over.
"Por que no los dos?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:06 am

I once bought home (contents) insurance with Itau. It was all by phone. This was a while ago (2014 I think). We had it for a few years and then cancelled it. I guess it was because I became more confident about the neighborhood.....since our house was new, I wasn't expecting to need it for repairs (which it was supposed to also cover, for example if pipes break and water damages your possessions). Itau is obviously just a broker, I don't remember who the actual insurer was. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking about (vs a policy that insures the property itself), but I remember it was not especially expensive and they didn't send anyone to take a look at our home, it was just some standard policy that covered a standard amount if you file a claim. For people like us who are quite "middle class" living in Puente Alto, I considered it sufficient, but you might be looking for more. Then again Itau is supposed to be a high end bank here, so they should offer financial products accordingly.