¡¡ BancoEstado

General topics related to Living in Chile
RuneTheChookcha

¡¡ BancoEstado

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:13 am

BancoEstado will have limited capacity in branches after detecting malicious software on platforms

During Sunday's session, BancoEstado announced that malicious software was detected in its operating systems, but assured that despite the problem, users could continue to use digital channels.

Later during the night he announced that this Monday they will have limited attention in their branches, so that only some procedures can be carried out in them.

“We want to tell you that tomorrow our branches will have a limited capacity in their operations...

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... rmas.shtml
perdimonocle-19

RuneTheChookcha

Re: ¡¡ BancoEstado

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:16 am

Personally, I was unable to make outgoing transfers online Saturday night (about 22:00 - 1:00).

The website error was:

"Su transacción no puede ser realizada, por favor inténtelo más tarde. Para consultas llame a Servicio de Soporte Internet"

In the "Tarjeta de Coordenadas" form field.

On Sunday, at 10:00, the site was functioning properly.
perdimonocle-19

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 am

Their app is down as of right now. It loads, but login attempts don't go through.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:26 am

They closed all the bank branches today.

you know "their operating system" is a reference to windows.

Guess it is time to upgrade from windows 98. :lol:

Seriously though, someone in the IT department seriously screwd up. If for no other reason there was no emergency disaster plan in place to clean up without closing down the entire bank across the country,; or, that is their plan, and are such nubes, they think shutting it down is the only way to be sure.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:49 pm

This is how it is transmitted: from animals to humans, from humans to PCs.

Update (Lunes 07 septiembre de 2020, 11:14):

"...The entity's website is absolutely down and under repair..."

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... tado.shtml
perdimonocle-19

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Seems it encrypted their data, probably ransomware.

The fact they had to shutdown, smells like they did not have proper backups.

Basically they did not quarantine their data correctly.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:37 pm

If the systems were setup correctly, that should have been little more than a system reboot (even on windows).

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:03 pm

There are big worldwide attacks going on these last few months. NZ stock exchange was targeted a couple of weeks ago forcing it to close 6 days in a row, other Australian and NZ government and financial institutions have been targeted. I believe Canada too.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:41 pm

"Esto es tan relevante que es parte de la imagen de marca de una institución, sobre todo en la parte financiera. No quiero aprovecharme del tema del Banco Estado, pero evidentemente vas a pensar dos veces si vas a abrir una cuenta en el Banco Estado. La imagen es compleja”, añadió.
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... tado.shtml

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:09 pm

They have 12,000 infected computers.

A) It should be a felony punishable by death to allow any windows computer inside any bank (big period). I don't think they can say that, or the MS lawyers will be all over them for violating the use of their trade mark, and thus it is a problem with "their operating system" not windows.

B) how the hell did those idiots create network architecture, in a bank none the less, that would let a worm pass from system to system encrypting data like that?

The fact it happen at all means a lot of someone's need to be fired; but, 9 out of 10 times in these cases it is not the IT staff that screwed up, but some executive that could not find his icon to open his email and ordered them to put it back like "the old way".

However, being banco estado, It was probably someone's nephew running the IT department that is still building web sites using ASP and Flash and running them on windows 2000 servers using iframes to make it look like "the old way" to load a spread sheet used as a "data base" (I can not even count the number of times I have seen something like that inside chilean companies and institutions).

That is, if they finally upgraded from command line text aps, still found all over the country. Like right out of 1984, or earlier. Those are oddly some of the more secure aps in the country; probably because all the hackers are now too young to know how to attack one; or, they simply can not find a dial up modem.

Well, at least they can now finish upgrading the ATM machines from windows xp. I am not making that up. I have seen more than a few of the reboot screens as I was waiting for them to restock the machines. They were using it up until MS stopped supporting them a couple years ago.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:15 pm

Trying to reload my cell number via Servipag, and the BancoEstado option fails on both mobile and desktop versions of the servipag site. This is a bit shitty.

Is the type of the BancoEstado core banking software (and the OS version it is running) publicly available?
perdimonocle-19

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:15 pm
Trying to reload my cell number via Servipag, and the BancoEstado option fails on both mobile and desktop versions of the servipag site. This is a bit shitty.

Probably being swamped by (genuine) attempts at online transactions since most branches are still closed..

Is the type of the BancoEstado core banking software (and the OS version it is running) publicly available?

I would guess that like most big concerns, they have a whole bunch of different systems running on different OS that may or may not be interconnected via LAN or VLAN or VPN. This information is never disclosed, certainly not by a Bank.
In any case, Ransomware minimizes hacker efforts by propagating from within those networks . I would have expected at the very least that each site be hardware firewalled, with packet inspection and remote monitoring for suspicious activity.. There are commercial concerns that can provide that level of securiy, after all - for a price.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge