Movistar Made Me Laugh

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Movistar Made Me Laugh

Post by Britkid » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:16 pm

So I call Movistar a few hours ago and I say the internet isn't reaching the bedrooms are you able to send someone over to put an extra box to extend the signal. They say yes and they can install it and guarantee the setup themselves and it will be 20,000 plus 2,990 per month, I say OK when you can send someone over. He says tomorrow.

I am about to end the call, and hang up and he says oh sorry it is actually 5,990 a month to have an signal extending box thing. Hmm I think that sounds a lot for that. I thought you said it was 2,990 I say and he says yeah sorry I was mistaken the price has just gone up. So I say alright but can I have it for 2,990 given you just promised me that.

No can do. The price is 5,990.

OK, I explain to him. Think about it this way. I have been a customer for years, never paid the bill a day late, never complained about anything, how about we just look at this in the context of my entire 60,000 a month package for TV+phone+internet. How about you apply me a good customer discount of 3,000 pesos across the whole package. I bet you give better deals to your new customers. The guy won't budge.

So then I say to him oh I've just looked on your website and the exact same package I have is 16,000 pesos per month less for new customers (not even the first 12 month price, that is even lower, I'm talking about the price after the first 12 months is even 16,000 lower!). I want the same price as new customers. Ah, he says, I have a colleague that handles exactly that type of discussion. He puts me through to his colleague.

Hi, I say. So I noticed that the exact package I have is 16,000 pesos cheaper for new customers. I ask her for the same price as the new customers. She says yes.

So in summary, it went like this

ME - Can you discount my price by 3,000 pesos.
MOVISTAR - No.
ME - OK, how about discount it by 16,000 pesos.
MOVISTAR - It's a deal.

tiagoabner

Re: Movistar Made Me Laugh

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:38 pm

Sounds like a normal customer service interaction in Chile for me.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:46 pm

You should just buy and setup your own extender. Not hard to do, you own the extender and no labor or monthly fee.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:50 pm

First, I second the DIY extender, if for no other reason than you would not have to talk to movistar.

Yea, it has gotten to the point that my wife makes very, very sure I am in a very good mood when I walk in to a movistar office, for my propensity to bite their heads off over their mind boggling incompetence on every level. I don't expect them to have a PhD in computer science, but a little bit of awareness about the difference between selling cell phone vs. bread in the street.

Still waiting to meet someone at movistar that is qualified to sell bred in the street. I gave up on the cell phone thing years ago.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

PXYC

Post by PXYC » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:16 pm
So I call Movistar a few hours ago and I say the internet isn't reaching the bedrooms are you able to send someone over to put an extra box to extend the signal. They say yes and they can install it and guarantee the setup themselves and it will be 20,000 plus 2,990 per month, I say OK when you can send someone over. He says tomorrow.

I am about to end the call, and hang up and he says oh sorry it is actually 5,990 a month to have an signal extending box thing. Hmm I think that sounds a lot for that. I thought you said it was 2,990 I say and he says yeah sorry I was mistaken the price has just gone up. So I say alright but can I have it for 2,990 given you just promised me that.

No can do. The price is 5,990.

OK, I explain to him. Think about it this way. I have been a customer for years, never paid the bill a day late, never complained about anything, how about we just look at this in the context of my entire 60,000 a month package for TV+phone+internet. How about you apply me a good customer discount of 3,000 pesos across the whole package. I bet you give better deals to your new customers. The guy won't budge.

So then I say to him oh I've just looked on your website and the exact same package I have is 16,000 pesos per month less for new customers (not even the first 12 month price, that is even lower, I'm talking about the price after the first 12 months is even 16,000 lower!). I want the same price as new customers. Ah, he says, I have a colleague that handles exactly that type of discussion. He puts me through to his colleague.

Hi, I say. So I noticed that the exact package I have is 16,000 pesos cheaper for new customers. I ask her for the same price as the new customers. She says yes.

So in summary, it went like this

ME - Can you discount my price by 3,000 pesos.
MOVISTAR - No.
ME - OK, how about discount it by 16,000 pesos.
MOVISTAR - It's a deal.
Customer service people are assigned a streamlined script. If Movistar allowed all their employees to give discounts, everyone would receive discounts, and the total discounts would be way bigger than what they're losing with you. Also more costs on training and auditing
and fraud control. That's just the way it is.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 pm

Figuring out the extender thing sounds like exactly the kind of IT thing that will be a massive hassle and take hours and hours without being fun. First I´ve got to somehow figure it what type of device to buy, then figure if it is universal or if it is compatibility type issue, since online ordering here is not good, then go out to perhaps 3 - 5 shops in the middle of the pandemic since they won´t have good websites that detail their products so you don`t know in advance, and the first one won´t have it, they will say they don´t have it, or have the wrong one, or say they might have it next week. Of course, 20 minutes of queue on average at each store, if they are even open.

Then the hassle of the installation process.

Predictably, it won´t work at first and then I will have to google articles and go on forums and trouble shoot it and watched youtube videos that are 10 minutes long just to say something they could have said in 10 seconds, which doesn´t work, so on to the next youtube video or article until after the 10th one I randomly hit on the solution which will be something totally random no lay person could have possibly guessed like "uncheck the option "DLL677" in the menu `configuration reboot selection` ".

Rough guess - 10 hours of boring work (although it could be 25 or 2). How much is the value of 10 hours of your time doing something you don´t enjoy? Sometimes I find this type of IT troubleshooting to be painfully frustrating. Actually worse than staring at a wall watching paint dry.

Of course, if you are good at this kind of thing or enjoy it that´s a different matter.

Also depends at a given point in your life whether you have more time or money available.

Another way to look at it is that the person installing this probably earns less $ per hour than I do and is better at the job.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:17 pm

Looks like it worked very well. They actually ran a cable through the loft to the new point. I can also go from opposite ends to the house and it seamlessly works, I didn't have to add a new connection point to any of the devices, it is like a single connection, very good.

Not that I'm recommending Movistar. I went to several of their offices over the years with the most basic simple enquiries and their service was terrible. Also, usually when I was in their offices, there would be people coming up complaining and the staff didn 't seem to care. Even when the complaint sounded really serious or the person was really angry the staff barely reacted, they seemed worringly used to this.

The only reason I have Movistar is because it is the only company with a fibre optic cable to my house.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 pm

In my neighborhood the only fiber optic cable choices are VTR or Movistar. For awhile now I have been considering changing from VTR (back) to Movistar as VTR's signal has had sporadic disappearing episodes (not OK when you work remotely), but it seems that we have an old debt with Movistar still hanging around, so since it may not really be financially beneficial to change, I have been hesitant since it doing so may not improve the service either.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:01 am

when we lived in Temuco I had two broadband connections in to our house for redundancy.

When the movistar installer seen the telsur router in the closet he said, "yea, I have telsur at home too".
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.