General topics related to Living in Chile
41southchile

Re: 'paso a paso" rules for traveling between comunas... and related stuff

Post by 41southchile » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:37 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:01 pm
ghibli wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:36 pm
Kind of damned if you do - damned if you don't. The first health minister, as I understand it, was fired because he failed to understand and impose an effective quarantine. The compliance rate was stated to be about 30% in Santiago as an average for the whole city. Obviously, the poorer comunas and those who used the always crowded public transportation were hit hardest. So now they try to impose effective quarantines, which can apparently only be accomplished by the use of fines - especially apparently for people with second homes - and they run into a legal quagmire. So the infection rate is going down and the anger quotient is spiking. It's easy to criticize but I for one have difficulty envisioning a solution which wouldn't piss off at least some of the peeps.
Yep. I don't envy those responsible for calling the shots right now. Regardless of what they do, there will be someone angry with them.
Heres something I read a while ago .
When you draw a line in the sand, you immediately reduce maneuvering room. A person crosses the line and either you shoot or your reputation is shot.

The "line" or lines are crossed everywhere everyday by so many in this country so it naturally follows I guess the reputation is shot of Piñera and co.
I guess its not entirely their fault when you look at the average hueon.
Its incredible so many people are just completely incapable of pausing, thinking and reacting appropriately, in so many situations, maybe they just don't give a shit? 🤔.
The complete inability of so many to work out that all actions have consequences in every day life , not just covid, but literally everything is something that still surprises me everyday.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Actually, pandemic and other crisis aside, I have been fascinated for years by how many Chileans, for the most part, actually do comply with the laws.

One of the former presidents of Chile (think it was Aylwin), after leaving office, said in an interview something to the effect, "Chile is fundamentally ungovernable".
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:33 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:11 pm
Actually, pandemic and other crisis aside, I have been fascinated for years by how many Chileans, for the most part, actually do comply with the laws.

One of the former presidents of Chile (think it was Aylwin), after leaving office, said in an interview something to the effect, "Chile is fundamentally ungovernable".
Yeah I guess , I suppose what laws and who we are comparing to would need to be defined.
Yeah I would have to agree with Aylwin or whoever said that.
Its interesting to observe thats for sure, everyday laws and laws that would make life easier for fellow citizens that are not capable of defending themselves seem to be the ones the majority least respect, so much for solidarity.🙄🤔
I'm thinking laws like not parking in wheelchair spaces if you are not disabled.
Making sure kids are in car seats and restrained properly in moving vehicles.
Not letting dogs kill sheep of campesinos that have it hard enough anyway.
Dumping crap and trash illegally in poor neighborhoods
As a couple of examples.
Most of those things shouldn't need laws, just common decency and solidarity or whatever.
Its an interesting phenomena, because I don't think its as simple as not giving a shit, because lots of people say they care , its a complete lack of something.......... what? I don't know . A mixture of lack of awareness/empathy/common sense, the country is a full of contradictions.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:28 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:33 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Yeah I guess , I suppose what laws and who we are comparing to would need to be defined.
Yeah I would have to agree with Aylwin or whoever said that.
Its interesting to observe thats for sure, everyday laws and laws that would make life easier for fellow citizens that are not capable of defending themselves seem to be the ones the majority least respect, so much for solidarity.🙄🤔
I'm thinking laws like not parking in wheelchair spaces if you are not disabled.
Making sure kids are in car seats and restrained properly in moving vehicles.
Not letting dogs kill sheep of campesinos that have it hard enough anyway.
Dumping crap and trash illegally in poor neighborhoods
As a couple of examples.
Most of those things shouldn't need laws, just common decency and solidarity or whatever.
Its an interesting phenomena, because I don't think its as simple as not giving a shit, because lots of people say they care , its a complete lack of something.......... what? I don't know . A mixture of lack of awareness/empathy/common sense, the country is a full of contradictions.
Cattle prods

:lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 pm

41 - in my more cynical moments I think that actually the sleazes who as you so nicely put it, break the laws which make life nicer, or are
simply common courtesy, do so as a little power trip. Like = look at me I can do whatever I want = go ahead try to make me be a decent person = hahahaha. Tiny minds tiny egos and tiny nether parts.

Conversely, I am seeing a fair number of people trying to go toward the good. Yes indeed full of contradictions.

In other news: today I saw a couple of whales migrating. Amazing. My first ever viewing. They're enormous! Wonderful. Right up there with the round rainbow in the special events category.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:46 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:28 pm
Cattle prods

You mean stun guns disguised as cattle prods :lol:
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 pm

ghibli wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 pm
41 - in my more cynical moments I think that actually the sleazes who as you so nicely put it, break the laws which make life nicer, or are simply common courtesy, do so as a little power trip.
This unattractive behaviour gave rise to the term "Winear" derived from "Winner". It's not used as a compliment, but nearly everybody does it. Makes for a stressful life.

https://eldefinido.cl/actualidad/plazap ... a-patudez/
https://www.elmostrador.cl/dia/2019/01/ ... ncia-2018/
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:10 pm

Of course the uproar over the assertion that the health ministry could just break in to houses and search them when ever they liked, is now being walked back by the idiots in the administration. They are falling all over themselves to explain what they REALLY meant.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... fiestas.ht

In other words, no one frigen stopped for just a second before opening their mouths in front of the press to think about what they were saying.

Again, have these idiots ever been to chile?

Did they not think that sounded just little bit like the dictatorship?

Did they not think that might be a little bit illegal and it was time to call some experts on constitutional law to clarify their authority?

Nope.

The human rights commission sent a letter to the government this morning bluntly telling them it was illegal under the constitution and multiple international treaties chile is a party to.

Still, somehow it took them several days, and that letter to walk it back.

Now, they are saying they can only enter by invitation, or probable cause that a crime is being commited, or judicial order; and only with the police present.

Now, that was not so hard was it Piniata?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Now, I might actually nit pick at the authority of the health ministry to enter with police; but, I'll leave that for some defense attorney to figure out.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:21 pm

After hearing the conduct of SEREMI de SALUD officials at the San Antonio cordon, I am not surprised they tried pushing their "aurhority" screw the law screw the Constitution. Tyranny by medical tecnocracy.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm

We are in phase 2 and given it is a feriado and the existence of the only for three days one-time Fiestas Patrias permiso, I printed that one out for my wife to take the nieto to the play ground in Plaza Llolleo. Not many persons there but when a PDI vehicle was spotted coming everyone else took off running including a couple of Haitians. So just my wife and nieto in the plaza when they pulled up. They checked her carnet and permiso and that was that.

Papers please!

- Søren Kierkegaard

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:34 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm
.... Not many persons there but when a PDI vehicle was spotted coming everyone else took off running including a couple of Haitians.

Papers please!