Electric Vehicles News

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by Britkid » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:48 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:36 pm

7kW corresponds to around 30-odd Amps, depending on the PF of the load. Considering that Chilean domestic power on the BT-1 tariff is limited to around 9kW, and in many cases is curtailed to half of that by infrastucture limitations, can't see those being very popular here. And no, its not possible to get two feeds into one address, I've tried.
In my case the electrician told me that 25A (5.75KW) is the limit of the entire house. If I wanted to charge at 7KW, I would have to, amongst other things, have run a new cable 50 yards underground to the street.

I thought the car would charge at 2-3KW with the trickle (slow) charger provided with the car because that seems possible according to manual and reports from other users. However in practice I can only get 1.5-1.6KW, I am not sure why.

At 1.5KW I'm getting 7-8 miles of range per hour that it's left on charge at home. That sounds pathetic, but if you actually stop and think about how far you drive and how much that adds up to overnight, for most people most of the time it's fine.

For comparison, the maximum load for the entire house, excluding the car, varies between 0.05KW and 4KW depending on what's being used and average is about 0.5KW.

Note: to convert between amps and watts use watts = amps x voltage and the voltage in Chile is about 230V.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:02 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:48 pm

I thought the car would charge at 2-3KW with the trickle (slow) charger provided with the car because that seems possible according to manual and reports from other users. However in practice I can only get 1.5-1.6KW, I am not sure why.
I would meter the ac supply voltage at the charging outlet under maximum load. Chilean electrics are nearly always on the skimpy side. And if the power outlet is using a domestic plug and socket, even the so-called 16Amp variety, I would replace them with industrial connectors before they burn up. Sodimac sell them.
0505507021a.jpg
0505507021a.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Britkid wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:48 pm
Note: to convert between amps and watts use watts = amps x voltage and the voltage in Chile is about 230V.
Thats for dc circuits. The Power Factor has to be taken into consideration for ac. Thats why I said "around" in the previous post.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:37 am

nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Electric cars will be an afterthought until cheaper RELIABLE electricity is available, dams in the south will do that and Photovoltaics on every roof in the 5th and RM.......
Only 1 week since electric cars were questioned on the basis of reliable electricity. I wake up this morning to see more news about how difficult it is for people in certain regions to buy petrol/diesel! You will never ever have to queue for a long time to use the electricity in your own house!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:37 am
Only 1 week since electric cars were questioned on the basis of reliable electricity. I wake up this morning to see more news about how difficult it is for people in certain regions to buy petrol/diesel! You will never ever have to queue for a long time to use the electricity in your own house!
When its there, that is.
'
Fiscalía de Cañete investiga ataque contra torre de alta tensión en cercanías de Contulmo.png

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:14 am

Times I have run out of gas in Chile: 0

Times my local electricity has been out for more than 3 hours this year: Lost count.

Times my electricity has been out for more than 8 hours: lost count, but at least once or twice a year.

FYI, most of my outages have been city wide or regional. Everything from storms to the drunks hitting the power poles.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:52 am

admin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:14 am

Times my local electricity has been out for more than 3 hours this year: Lost count.

Times my electricity has been out for more than 8 hours: lost count, but at least once or twice a year.

FYI, most of my outages have been city wide or regional. Everything from storms to the drunks hitting the power poles.
Whoa that's crazy......I think we lost power once this past year, for about 2 hours, and it was a big deal (at least to us)...........I don't think we lose power more than twice a year really (including outages for just 5 or 10 minutes during the day). And I live in "Puente Asalto", where we (at least used to) hear stories from utility company guys about power and/or internet problems in the area due to crackpots stealing copper wiring.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:36 am

Jamers41 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:52 am
admin wrote:

Whoa that's crazy......I think we lost power once this past year, for about 2 hours, and it was a big deal (at least to us)...........I don't think we lose power more than twice a year really (including outages for just 5 or 10 minutes during the day). And I live in "Puente Asalto", where we (at least used to) hear stories from utility company guys about power and/or internet problems in the area due to crackpots stealing copper wiring.
Our electric company SAESA is kind of special. Few years back they were voted the worst company for service in Chile (yea, they beat the cell phone companies). A hedge fund bought them up, dumped some cash on upgrades, and then sold them. They got a bit better.

Most of our issues are storm related. It rains in Southern Chile. lots of trees. That sort of thing. Still, they suck at their job.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:32 am

admin wrote:

Times my local electricity has been off for more than 3 hours this year: 3, I think , or it was that late last year, 🤔
It was a bad month where we had 3 in a month , it may have been late last year, other than that, pretty good.

Times my electricity has been out for more than 8 hours:
Never , well I cant remember a time.

We dont have Saesa. Storms we might get cut off for a couple of hours once or twice a year, if that. Grid problems from further north, maybe once or twice a year also, even when a drunk it's a pole, it's only a few hours, which hasn't happened for a very long time.

I have a generator that I bought in March, have used it once for a couple of hours, I think, and not at night yet .
Overall it's not that bad and on average we have a couple of hours cut maybe once every three months .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 am

We have frequent power cuts here, even in the RM, albeit the more rural edge of the RM. (I don´t think there are many power cuts in Santiago).

I think we have around 20-30 power cuts a year, but some are seconds or a few minutes long, you hardly notice. We perhaps have about 3 - 5 a year that are at the level of a few hours, and we have had 1 a year or less at the level of about 12 or 24 hours.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:23 am

Less here after 27F than before. Even big storms don't seem to cause outages like long before. Very local car to pole magnet outages are usually repaired within an hour or so. Repairing the area grid after 27F and subsequent improvements like a new pole system and cleaning up decades of wire chaos seems to help. But when in the past there was a cut, there are times when we have prolonged drops in the current which is probably more damaging to your appliances than just an outright cut. My record cut, Llolleo for nearly 7 days after 27F.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Depends a lot on how local electricity is delivered. Post- mounted wiring is more vulnerable than underground distribution. From multiple experiences I know that it takes 4 to 5 hours to replace a single damaged concrete post.

Our street is approached by a 90 degree bend, and I am always surprized how a small vehicle can accelerate from virtually zero enough to topple a cement post 50 metres from that corner. The small acacia trees planted in the pavement gtenerally fare better.

Those momentary glitches are more damaging than blackouts, I have a couple of UPSs on my more delicate stuff after some expensive lessons.

Last year, the local authorities announced their "preocupation" with the number of these incidents in our area, but as usual nothing happened.
Choques la causa de más de 200 cortes de luz en la región en 2019.png

Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Britkid wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:52 am
Copec is planning to charge 230 pesos/KWH soon although they haven't got the system up and running yet at my local charge point, it was still for free the last time I tried it last month.
Copec is now charging at my local charge point, and I have heard they have rolled out the charging nationwide, i.e. no more free charging at Copec.

They are charging 250 pesos/kWH - the 230 pesos/kWH is for a minimum spend of 5000 per month.

I had to download the Copec Voltex app. The phone had to have Chile set as its location before it would work. Then it rejected one of my foreign cards and my Banco de Chile debit card and finally accepted when I added the Banco de Chile credit card. I am not sure if that means foreign cards and debit cards might be difficult in general or whether that´s just what happened this time.

Anyway, I´m glad I thought to sort out the app in advance because it made me fill in various details and it was a hassle. You wouldn´t want to be doing all that while standing at the charging points. With the app sorted out in advance, charging was quite easy and took about 2 minutes to get going just by following simple options on screen and in the app. I tried it at 2 locations yesterday just to try it out and charge for 5 minutes and they were fine.

I also bought a phone charger to leave in the car and charge from the car because I honestly don´t know what you would do if your phone was out of battery when you got to the charge point.

Currently, Copec has most of the chargers in non urban areas between Temuco and La Serena, so, for the time being, you pretty much have to use them to drive up and down Ruta 5.