Electric Vehicles News

General topics related to Living in Chile
User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:43 pm

Electric cars will be an afterthought until cheaper RELIABLE electricity is available, dams in the south will do that and Photovoltaics on every roof in the 5th and RM.......
It's all about the wine.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:15 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Electric cars will be an afterthought until cheaper RELIABLE electricity is available, dams in the south will do that and Photovoltaics on every roof in the 5th and RM.......
Dams are too controversial and a couple of projects have been canned already.
Wind too invasive etc etc.
The logical solution to climate change and producing more and cheaper energy would actually be nuclear, but no one would ever go there would they?
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:15 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Electric cars will be an afterthought until cheaper RELIABLE electricity is available, dams in the south will do that and Photovoltaics on every roof in the 5th and RM.......
Dams are too controversial and a couple of projects have been canned already.
Wind too invasive etc etc.
The logical solution to climate change and producing more and cheaper energy would actually be nuclear, but no one would ever go there would they?

The dam sites will always be available, nuke in a high seismic area is just plan dumb as the Japanese have discovered, Chile has no dino juice or farts so are limited to imports, for power and transportation...tidal and wave may ultimately be better than wind for large scale production.....Chile has lots of coast and very high tidal action in the south.....BUT dams are known tech and easy to construct, yes seismic is an issue with dams but not as big an issue as nuke plants, the new micro nuke plants may be more viable but would you live beside one run by a Chilean committee???
It's all about the wine.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:15 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Electric cars will be an afterthought until cheaper RELIABLE electricity is available, dams in the south will do that and Photovoltaics on every roof in the 5th and RM.......
Dams are too controversial and a couple of projects have been canned already.
Wind too invasive etc etc.
The logical solution to climate change and producing more and cheaper energy would actually be nuclear, but no one would ever go there would they?

The dam sites will always be available, nuke in a high seismic area is just plan dumb as the Japanese have discovered, Chile has no dino juice or farts so are limited to imports, for power and transportation...tidal and wave may ultimately be better than wind for large scale production.....Chile has lots of coast and very high tidal action in the south.....BUT dams are known tech and easy to construct, yes seismic is an issue with dams but not as big an issue as nuke plants, the new micro nuke plants may be more viable but would you live beside one run by a Chilean committee???
I agree Dams are the best option, but try and explain that to those that dont want them, tidal and wave sounds more promising.
Yeah Fukushima really screwed the case for Nuclear, right at a time when the world needs to reduce their fossil fuel dependence for energy generation, because renewables aren't going to get us there no matter what some say.
No, not sure I would trust a Chilean nuclear plant, i was thinking more on a global scale, nuclear should be an option, over 300000 people are estimated to die from burning coal every year , Fukushima affected how many?
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22254
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:07 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:15 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Electric cars will be an afterthought until cheaper RELIABLE electricity is available, dams in the south will do that and Photovoltaics on every roof in the 5th and RM.......
Dams are too controversial and a couple of projects have been canned already.
Wind too invasive etc etc.
The logical solution to climate change and producing more and cheaper energy would actually be nuclear, but no one would ever go there would they?

The dam sites will always be available, nuke in a high seismic area is just plan dumb as the Japanese have discovered, Chile has no dino juice or farts so are limited to imports, for power and transportation...tidal and wave may ultimately be better than wind for large scale production.....Chile has lots of coast and very high tidal action in the south.....BUT dams are known tech and easy to construct, yes seismic is an issue with dams but not as big an issue as nuke plants, the new micro nuke plants may be more viable but would you live beside one run by a Chilean committee???
I agree Dams are the best option, but try and explain that to those that dont want them, tidal and wave sounds more promising.
Yeah Fukushima really screwed the case for Nuclear, right at a time when the world needs to reduce their fossil fuel dependence for energy generation, because renewables aren't going to get us there no matter what some say.
No, not sure I would trust a Chilean nuclear plant, i was thinking more on a global scale, nuclear should be an option, over 300000 people are estimated to die from burning coal every year , Fukushima affected how many?
you know, I was sort of indifferent to the dams down south, until my wife and I seen the baker river valley last summer in the Patagonia they planned to dam.

One of the more spectacular and unspoiled places on earth.

by comparison, like you go to the hoover dam outside of las Vegas, and it is just rock and dessert. You see it and think, 'this place is so ugly someone should put a dam in here'.

Not the rivers in the Patagonia.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by 41southchile » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:56 am

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:07 am
41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:15 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Electric cars will be an afterthought until cheaper RELIABLE electricity is available, dams in the south will do that and Photovoltaics on every roof in the 5th and RM.......
Dams are too controversial and a couple of projects have been canned already.
Wind too invasive etc etc.
The logical solution to climate change and producing more and cheaper energy would actually be nuclear, but no one would ever go there would they?

The dam sites will always be available, nuke in a high seismic area is just plan dumb as the Japanese have discovered, Chile has no dino juice or farts so are limited to imports, for power and transportation...tidal and wave may ultimately be better than wind for large scale production.....Chile has lots of coast and very high tidal action in the south.....BUT dams are known tech and easy to construct, yes seismic is an issue with dams but not as big an issue as nuke plants, the new micro nuke plants may be more viable but would you live beside one run by a Chilean committee???
I agree Dams are the best option, but try and explain that to those that dont want them, tidal and wave sounds more promising.
Yeah Fukushima really screwed the case for Nuclear, right at a time when the world needs to reduce their fossil fuel dependence for energy generation, because renewables aren't going to get us there no matter what some say.
No, not sure I would trust a Chilean nuclear plant, i was thinking more on a global scale, nuclear should be an option, over 300000 people are estimated to die from burning coal every year , Fukushima affected how many?
you know, I was sort of indifferent to the dams down south, until my wife and I seen the baker river valley last summer in the Patagonia they planned to dam.

One of the more spectacular and unspoiled places on earth.

by comparison, like you go to the hoover dam outside of las Vegas, and it is just rock and dessert. You see it and think, 'this place is so ugly someone should put a dam in here'.

Not the rivers in the Patagonia.
Yeah there is that about it, which I can understand, but even the less invasive projects like diversion hydro projects (where there is already other human activity) are becoming controversial . Nah dont place them in Patagonia though. Wind and Solar are not going to cut it by themselves, so there needs to be other stuff in the mix .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22254
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:34 pm

there is a lot of pass through hydro projects up there in those mountains. They keep them well hidden, to avoid the controversy. You really got a poke in to the nooks and crannies to find them.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by 41southchile » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:57 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:34 pm
there is a lot of pass through hydro projects up there in those mountains. They keep them well hidden, to avoid the controversy. You really got a poke in to the nooks and crannies to find them.
Yeah that is true, there is one up behind lago Rupanco that I never knew was there, plus a big one up behind San Fernando too that's been there a few years now. Who knows, I am sure someone is working on it.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22254
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:48 pm

yea, the one up by behind lake Rupanco is near our property there.

not sure what the deal is with it, but seems like a pile of infrastructure popped up with it, and someone told me the locals are getting either free or reduced price electricity (I disconnected ours years ago as we did not need it). a new water system popped up. a new rural clinic, school, and municipal building, along garbage service (in the middle of nowhere). as I understand stand it, it was all part of the environmental permitting process to get the local community on board and not oppose the dam. Fine with me.

We tried to drive up to it once, but the whole area is fenced off and guarded.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
hlf2888
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: seventh region

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:48 pm
yea, the one up by behind lake Rupanco is near our property there.

not sure what the deal is with it, but seems like a pile of infrastructure popped up with it, and someone told me the locals are getting either free or reduced price electricity (I disconnected ours years ago as we did not need it). ...
what are you using for electricity?

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2105
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Britkid wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Most EV owners in US/Europe install a dedicated charger so that they can charge at 7kW and get a full charge in a short time but I think people are over cautious.
However for a dedicated 7kW charger you are usually looking at a cost in the hundreds of euros/dollars I think.
7kW corresponds to around 30-odd Amps, depending on the PF of the load. Considering that Chilean domestic power on the BT-1 tariff is limited to around 9kW, and in many cases is curtailed to half of that by infrastucture limitations, can't see those being very popular here. And no, its not possible to get two feeds into one address, I've tried.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Electric Vehicles News

Post by 41southchile » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:49 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:48 pm
yea, the one up by behind lake Rupanco is near our property there.

not sure what the deal is with it, but seems like a pile of infrastructure popped up with it, and someone told me the locals are getting either free or reduced price electricity (I disconnected ours years ago as we did not need it). a new water system popped up. a new rural clinic, school, and municipal building, along garbage service (in the middle of nowhere). as I understand stand it, it was all part of the environmental permitting process to get the local community on board and not oppose the dam. Fine with me.

We tried to drive up to it once, but the whole area is fenced off and guarded.
That's exactly how it should work, there has to be some immediate economic benefit (I.e free energy) for those in the immediate vicinity of major projects. I'm thinking more wind turbines in this instance.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Post Reply