Give it a shake

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Give it a shake

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:14 pm

For all those using tanks of gas for your cooking and/or heating, a tip...

When it seems you're out, give the tank a vigorous shake and try again. Many get multiple cooking session/max. heat estufa sessions out of this.

Secret that actually works and is true passed from a repartidor of gas tanks. Think where your "empty" tanks go before being really turned in to be refilled??!!!
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

mem

Re: Give it a shake

Post by mem » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 pm

Ah nice thanks, will be trying that....I'm never going back to electric ranges again even with easy clean glass tops...truly inferior to gas.

I used to think the whole propane tank thing was so primitive when we first moved to the Chilean campo. I was whining about wishing we could get a gas line...now I am a tank lover. Would rather have tanks than a gas line so I have a more hands on understanding of our gas usage..plus it's basically independent (I am easily storing YEARS of propane onsite and propane never ever goes bad) , plus there is no risk of gas line mains rupturing with an EQ or idiot bulldozer operator, plus it lasts FOREVER if you only range cook with it. Using it for hot water heating or running a generator is a totally different story that soured me on tanks initially, but with just range cooking it's perfect. Switched the main hot water heating to solar (non-photovoltaic) so the water itself stores the heat energy. Only use the gas hot water heaters in a pinch with a string of truly sunless days, but man, even on overcast drizzly days we get hot water from the solar. Amazing how little it takes to heat water when it's not photovoltaic

I might suffer an electric oven...since it seems that's the only way to get a proper convection oven

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:09 am

It is rarely done in gas installations here, but have your copper pipes covered in foam insulation (sold at sodimac, few thousand pesos). especially if you have a long run from tank to stove or other appliance. It will make your gas flow through the line easier. more like a city gas line. less waiting for the flow to start from the draw of the flame.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:36 am

mem wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 pm
I am easily storing YEARS of propane onsite and propane never ever goes bad
The gas may last for years but the supplier mandates tank replacement at 10 years or so.

Here's something you wont see in the shops - a "portable" gas heater converted to wallmount.
0003b.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge