Online furniture stores that take foreign cards

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Re: Online furniture stores that take foreign cards

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Falabella worked for some purchases, but they didn't work for others. 2 out of 5 purchases went through, and the others were cancelled by them. Given that I made sure that I was using a card that had way beyond what the items were worth and I used the same card for all purchases, I couldn't find any logic on why they refused some of my purchases.

I ended up opening accounts with Mach (from BCI) and Chek (from Ripley), two online payment services. Mach allowed me to have up to $500.000 of balance at once and they offer a prepaid credit card which is accepted at most online stores that take WebPay. Chek allowed me to have up to $400.000 of balance at a time, and they only work with Ripley. They each have a $1.000.000 limit per 30-day period, but it was enough to buy the most time-sensitive furniture items. I'm not connected to any of these companies and I'm only reporting what ended up working for me. Use them at your own risk.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

adamhos

Post by adamhos » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:17 pm

None of my US credit cards have worked at any PoS or online site that I've tried since last year. I complained to Transbank and they tried to tell my cards are blocked (at 3 different banks), I have no problem using them outside of Chile. The only thing they work with here now are companies that use something other than transbank/webpay, like Uber and Rappi both work with them. Before last year, I had no problems ever using them at a PoS (they never worked online on webpay though)

Can't remember if I recently tried at Falabella or not, but not about to try now. We ordered something from there 3 weeks ago and still haven't received it.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:05 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:12 pm
Falabella worked for some purchases, but they didn't work for others. 2 out of 5 purchases went through, and the others were cancelled by them. Given that I made sure that I was using a card that had way beyond what the items were worth and I used the same card for all purchases, I couldn't find any logic on why they refused some of my purchases.

I ended up opening accounts with Mach (from BCI) and Chek (from Ripley), two online payment services. Mach allowed me to have up to $500.000 of balance at once and they offer a prepaid credit card which is accepted at most online stores that take WebPay. Chek allowed me to have up to $400.000 of balance at a time, and they only work with Ripley. They each have a $1.000.000 limit per 30-day period, but it was enough to buy the most time-sensitive furniture items. I'm not connected to any of these companies and I'm only reporting what ended up working for me. Use them at your own risk.
So all 5 falabella orders either didnt go through or if they did go through they were cancelled?

Really sorry if that is the case...it must be some other YMMV detail. I have had an item or two in a multi item order cancelled because of lack of availability and then they credit the amount back to my US card (once I agree to it). But it was a stock availabilty issue on a specific item(s) not a CC issue.

In thinking back on what I have used successfully with falabella and it was a US issued AMEX. Was the CC you used US issued or a different issuing country?

Given the same card and retailer(falabella) I'd think it would be the same for any order and any cancelled items would be an issue with inventory availability where it looks available on the site, but ends up not being able to be fulfilled, but not sure. If the order only has 1 item then it may not be clear the root cause

I remember ordering a top of the line CIC bed for like 3 million pesos off falabella and they tried to cancel the order and credit my AMEX back after a couple weeks because they said they couldn't fulfill it and I refused asking how long I would have to wait before they could get it delivered to me...long story short...eventually got it from them...just took an extra several weeks. They were all to eager to just cancel and credit the order but my wife wanted that particular bed and there was no other retailer option for delivery to the campo. Bed turned out to be totally worth the struggle

At any rate, glad you got some alternatives worked out to get your priority furniture items, albeit with a lot of hassle