Online furniture stores that take foreign cards

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Online furniture stores that take foreign cards

Post by tiagoabner » Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi, fellow forumites.

I'll be moving to a non-furnished apartment in about a month and I'm having some trouble in finding Chilean furniture stores that take foreign cards.

Do you have any suggestions? Yes, I can use my Chilean bank account, but at $200.000 per day in purchases, $1.000.000 per day in transfers and $2.000.000 per 30-day periods in deposits to the account, I'm not sure the it's up to the task.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

mem

Re: Online furniture stores that take foreign cards

Post by mem » Wed May 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Falabella works with US based visa/amex cards. They carry a lot of the brands like Rosen, CIC so even if you cant get the Rosen site to take your card you can probably get it through Falabella

Paris and Sodimac however doesnt seem to work as well.

Unfortunately, you will probably get dinged on the 3% international transaction fee with a US based credit card.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed May 27, 2020 3:52 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 pm
Yes, I can use my Chilean bank account, but at $200.000 per day in purchases, $1.000.000 per day in transfers and $2.000.000 per 30-day periods in deposits to the account, I'm not sure the it's up to the task.
Ahh. Banco Estado. The capstone of Chilean stupidity.

In March I went to a branch in Las Condes. I waited in line for a couple hours and finally got to speak with a banking professional. I informed them that I had my Permanent Visa and I wanted to be taken off of the training wheels account. They gave me two options. With Option 1, I could open an account where I could deposit unlimited funds, but was only permitted to withdraw 400.000 a day. If it was from the ATM it might be dooable, but I would have to come inside of a bank to get the money. Which, of course takes a minimum of 1 hour if you're lucky. With the other account, I could withdraw all the money I wanted at one time, but could only deposit 200.000 pesos a day.

Always remember in Chile - keep them expectations low...

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed May 27, 2020 4:31 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:52 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Yes, I can use my Chilean bank account, but at $200.000 per day in purchases, $1.000.000 per day in transfers and $2.000.000 per 30-day periods in deposits to the account, I'm not sure the it's up to the task.
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I've just started to issue "boletas". Scotiabank will take me as a client once I can "prove" 3 months worth of income for a cuenta vista.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed May 27, 2020 4:31 pm

mem wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:16 pm
Falabella works with US based visa/amex cards. They carry a lot of the brands like Rosen, CIC so even if you cant get the Rosen site to take your card you can probably get it through Falabella

Paris and Sodimac however doesnt seem to work as well.

Unfortunately, you will probably get dinged on the 3% international transaction fee with a US based credit card.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Falabella seems completely overwhelmed by the amount of e-commerce. Expect long ETA and that they don't delivery on time

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed May 27, 2020 4:49 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 pm
Falabella seems completely overwhelmed by the amount of e-commerce. Expect long ETA and that they don't delivery on time
Thanks for the heads up. I have roughly a month until the move-in date, so hopefully, that's enough time.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed May 27, 2020 5:02 pm

I've managed to get a test purchase to go through at Falabella. It seems that they don't use WebPay to bill, which is why they seem to be able to take foreign cards. It's kind of like the system that Sky Airlines and Jetsmart use. They still haven't billed me, though, so I'll keep y'all posted if it goes through as expected. Fingers crossed!

El Presidente

Post by El Presidente » Wed May 27, 2020 5:06 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Regarding Falabella purchases/deliveries, I made a reasonably large online purchase on 7 May, the purchase was confirmed and my credit card charged on 12 May, and delivery on 25 May - so about two and a half weeks all up. The only problem was noone was at the property to recieve the delivery on 25 May and it´s quite impossible to get through to their customer service units....

So as long you are sure you will be at the property on delivery date, which could be 2-3 weeks after online purchase, I would say it works great (they coordinate with you by Whatsapp and email). If you need to call them, best of luck.
“We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight. We’re going to live on. We’re going to survive. Today we celebrate our INDEPENDENCE DAY.” - President Thomas J. Whitmore

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:53 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:31 pm
nikotromus wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:52 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I've just started to issue "boletas". Scotiabank will take me as a client once I can "prove" 3 months worth of income for a cuenta vista.
Yeah unfortunately your income does not exist in Chile until you are issuing boletas.

mem

Post by mem » Thu May 28, 2020 11:02 pm

El Presidente wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:06 pm
scandinavian wrote:
Regarding Falabella purchases/deliveries, I made a reasonably large online purchase on 7 May, the purchase was confirmed and my credit card charged on 12 May, and delivery on 25 May - so about two and a half weeks all up. The only problem was noone was at the property to recieve the delivery on 25 May and it´s quite impossible to get through to their customer service units....

So as long you are sure you will be at the property on delivery date, which could be 2-3 weeks after online purchase, I would say it works great (they coordinate with you by Whatsapp and email). If you need to call them, best of luck.
You know, we have always always lived in the campo for the last 5 years...so no mailing address. For the first few years we couldn't fathom how we could get home delivery through online ordering becasue there so many website form control limitations on the website ordering process

But wow, in the last couple years we have really mastered this with multiple stores. It almost doesnt matter what you put on the online order...they always hit you up on the phone and want you to WhatsApp them your location and directions which always works really well even for those of us that still struggle with Spanish.

Just in the last 18 months I've done a ton of home delivery orders of really big stuff...here is what I have learned

Falabella/sodimac/Paris/Ripley = awesome...they seem to use private contract delivery people that have great service...they will not just kick the freezer or range or washer out the truck and peel out...they take it right into your house wherever you want it. Great! You do a lot of orders in a short amount of time and it's the same guys...even for different stores so they "know you"...like Cheers and your particular location quirks

Easy.cl = not so awesome...they use Starken for the delivery and the Starken guys actually do kick it out of the truck and bail. In easys case it was an almost 200kg diesel generator so by far the heaviest thing we have ordered...and man it was a hassle to move that thing myself over muddy grass, uneven slate rock walkway, and several rock formed tiering steps with little wheels that are about the size of roller blade wheels...but I got the sound dampened model so I think that's why...the open air louder models have larger wheels like dolly wheels, oh well

Maybe Easy/starken were only like that becasue it was so heavy. I'll have to try something from them more reasonable for a test ; )

mem

Post by mem » Thu May 28, 2020 11:23 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:02 pm
I've managed to get a test purchase to go through at Falabella. It seems that they don't use WebPay to bill, which is why they seem to be able to take foreign cards. It's kind of like the system that Sky Airlines and Jetsmart use. They still haven't billed me, though, so I'll keep y'all posted if it goes through as expected. Fingers crossed!
That is great! It sounds like it will work, there is some delay in the charge hitting your card, so not surprising. Congrats on the move