Should Schools Charge Less for Now?

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Re: Should Schools Charge Less for Now?

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:26 pm

I don't have kids and I don't work on education, so I don't have any stakes here. But given how much going to a "good" school matters in Chile, I think that the top schools won't be doing any discounts. Some of them have more demand than openings, and that will lead to the business owners being less willing to discount.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:34 pm

Santiago College apparently lowered monthly costs with 15%

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:37 am

Britkid wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:34 pm
Donnybrook wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:41 am
Britkid wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:27 pm
I guess if the answer is 1.4 million/1.1 million I'd be inclined to think teachers should take a 20%/10% pay reduction while there are no in-person classes (assuming a lot of remote classes and home working is getting done) and push harder for a reduction in costs; if the answer is 650.000 I'd be inclined to request a fee cut but stipulate that I don't want any of it to come from teacher's salaries...
my personal experience was in the top tier. In those the salary was based on various factors: further degrees, years of experience etc. But even there a salary of 1.4 million would have been unusual. But it was a few years ago so I don't even know that.
So you think 1.4 million would have been unusually high even for somewhere like the Grange/Santiago College, say? That most or all teachers at the Grange would have earned less than this - at least a few years back? Do I understand right?
Yes, that is correct. Possibly the head of senior school might but it would be far from usual for a teacher. The only schools which I know of where there might have been multiple people earning that sort of money would be the German school which was subsudised by the German government and Nido de Aguilas which also has other income from American companies with a presence in Chile. That may no longer be the case, no idea. . There was a period in the 90s when a lot of people took their kids out of the top schools as a parent lost their job and the schools had to be very creative with the income from the fees to cover expenses. A lot of parents kept sending their kids to school but stopped paying the fees. It was an extraordinarily difficult time and I think this will be worse.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 am

JSMort

Post by JSMort » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:13 pm

My jardin (daycare), which isn't doing such a good job of continuing to add value during this period in which they are unable to provide the service i pay them for, offered me a 20% discount this month... And aren't being flexible. Basically, they want to charge me 80% for a poorly executed lesson plan that i have to implement and they spend 10 minutes a day with the kids via WhatsApp group... In my eyes, worth maybe 20% (80% discount) considering the extrenuous circumstances...

Anyone see any reason why i shouldn't just stop playing them until this thing normalizes?
I'll think of a witty signature later..............

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:36 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:29 am
As for value for money, you aren't really buying something you are paying for something. The good schools believe they have a contract with the child and not the parent. But it will boil down to costs eventually and it might be best to hang on and see where we are in a couple of months.
Yeah I am not sure on that definition from the good schools, the contract in my mind is clearly with the parents/caregivers. The Free market , the right to choose, and all that rhetoric is what defines Chilean education, and true, while you may not be buying something you are definitely paying for something, a service. An educational service whereby the school is supposed to provide education and a place to learn for students and all the infrastructure that goes with that, at the moment they are not providing that.

From the biobio article.

“Este es un contrato bilateral, porque una parte se dedida a prestar un servicio, en este caso el servicio de educación, y la otra parte se obliga a pagarlo, lo que corre para todos los colegios donde los papás estén haciendo un desembolso, es decir, los particulares subvencionados y particulares”, explica el jurista.

“Y cuando una parte no cumple lo establecido en el contrato o lo cumple de manera imperfecta, la otra parte no está obligada a cumplir lo que le corresponde, eso se llama la simultaneidad de la obligación, es decir, yo cumplo mi obligación en la medida que tú cumplas la tuya”, agrega.

Some schools are working on compromises, but A lot of schools are being incredibly arrogant in the current situation and administrators/owners and teachers need to wake up to the reality.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:38 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 am
Not just gringos discussing this:
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... irus.shtml
Interesting thanks, yeah it's on the minds of a lot of parents and caregivers.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Having actually worked inside the private education system in Chile for some years, I can assure you that a good school - not necessarily an expensive one - considers their contract to be with the child. A couple of generations ago "private" meant "religious" and overheads were quite different. Priests and nuns were the teachers. I myself was taught by nuns. 10 years later none of them were still in the convent and, eventually, the school closed as the religious order tried to keep its bigger schools staffed with nuns. The cost of a private education changed dramatically when all staff were paid teachers, even in schools which offered a religious education. The divide became economical which also changed so much more within the schools. The number of students you had to have to balance the books rose. But I think we are just inside the first full on month of this pandemic and should see what happens in May.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:24 pm
Having actually worked inside the private education system in Chile for some years, I can assure you that a good school - not necessarily an expensive one - considers their contract to be with the child. A couple of generations ago "private" meant "religious" and overheads were quite different. Priests and nuns were the teachers. I myself was taught by nuns. 10 years later none of them were still in the convent and, eventually, the school closed as the religious order tried to keep its bigger schools staffed with nuns. The cost of a private education changed dramatically when all staff were paid teachers, even in schools which offered a religious education. The divide became economical which also changed so much more within the schools. The number of students you had to have to balance the books rose. But I think we are just inside the first full on month of this pandemic and should see what happens in May.
Thanks for the insight, nuns have a formidable reputation as educators in New Zealand at least, I missed out on that full religious experience, apart from a year st the Marist school in San Fernando in 95 , but my mother and father's generation were all taught by brothers, and nuns.
Yes, it is the first month, however there are many rumblings from parents that believe their kids will not go back to school this year, regardless of whether they open physically or not.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:13 pm

I asked our school to give me 15%-20% from June and mentioned I was losing my job at the end of June and send a polite email and eventually, only after I followed up several weeks later, they agreed to 15% less monthly payment from June onwards until the return to school.

The school is taking the approach to negotiate and discuss with each parent separately and treat each case on its merits, so there is not much transparency and perhaps the discount might depend on who knows what? Your personal situation, how much you BS, how much they like you, how nicely you ask, or even the fact that you raised the subject at all.

I'd rather they gave the same discount for everyone, possibly excepting a few severe cases.

The classes have got better though. In the first week or two when I overheard bits of classes it was like this "who said that? please be quiet I can't hear you - what? please I will have to mute you all!" and everyone was talking over each other. The teachers got more experienced and now they are like proper classes going on.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:49 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:13 pm
I asked our school to give me 15%-20% from June and mentioned I was losing my job at the end of June and send a polite email and eventually, only after I followed up several weeks later, they agreed to 15% less monthly payment from June onwards until the return to school.

The school is taking the approach to negotiate and discuss with each parent separately and treat each case on its merits, so there is not much transparency and perhaps the discount might depend on who knows what? Your personal situation, how much you BS, how much they like you, how nicely you ask, or even the fact that you raised the subject at all.

I'd rather they gave the same discount for everyone, possibly excepting a few severe cases.

The classes have got better though. In the first week or two when I overheard bits of classes it was like this "who said that? please be quiet I can't hear you - what? please I will have to mute you all!" and everyone was talking over each other. The teachers got more experienced and now they are like proper classes going on.
I hope you're not losing your job in a few weeks......I lost mine at the close of March but I am fortunate to have independent income.....no idea where we would be without it.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:11 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:49 pm
I hope you're not losing your job in a few weeks......I lost mine at the close of March but I am fortunate to have independent income.....no idea where we would be without it.
Brother I am sorry. That really stinks.