Should Schools Charge Less for Now?

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Should Schools Charge Less for Now?

Post by Britkid » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:17 pm

I've heard that some schools in our area are reducing their prices, although ours hasn't yet.

A few thoughts: children already lost some classes in November and late October. This could be a more prolonged period this time.

If the homeworking and remote teaching is good enough that the children learn just as much and get as much work done, then the argument for paying less is much reduced. If however there isn't much remote teaching going on, it's just homeworks being given out and marked....

Homeworking means that the parents are paying for more electricity, heating, papers, pens, notebooks (and perhaps having to buy a printer or tablet or notebook in some cases) transferring costs from the school to the parent. If there is no discounted price at all, then schools will actually make more profit than before because their utility/stationary costs will be down.

The economy may get bad enough that cost reductions are necessary for the schools just to stop people leaving, or just because it would feel the right thing to do in a severely depressed economy where a lot of people are suffering. Then again, it's not clear whether it's that bad.

Should teachers be paid less by the school? They are saving money on commuting, and probably (?) working less hard overall, and they can afford to earn a little less, since, like everyone else, they won't be going out as much so not spending as much. Then again, their salaries are probably not that high in the first place.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Should Schools Charge Less for Now?

Post by admin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:47 pm

yea, the local German school just sent out a blunt letter via WhatsApp saying that tuition was still due.

which caused a total revolt among the parents.

I told my sister in law (two kids), just send back a bunch of these

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:50 pm

If they have an issue, well they can talk to their tia and her small army of attorneys that are sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:57 pm

actually I have sort informally set up homeschooling classes with the nephew and niece.

the niece is doing homework and virtual classes online with the school, but I have started more advanced English classes with her. things like research writing, critical thinking. sort of first year university type stuff.

The 8 year old we are doing some basic english and science project type stuff. nothing serious or overly structured.

I believe learning should not feel like a job (and definitely not for me).

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:42 pm

I know several private schools in Santiago that have given small discounts like 5-10% on the monthly cost. Way too little in my opinion. These schools have been raking cash in for years and will continue to do so. They should easily be able to provide real discounts like 50% or more. Yes, that might mean that they will not make their usual profit this year, but I am sure they can manage.

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:55 pm

We are waiting for a response from the jardin. They don't want to budge much. They already closed for several weeks in Oct and November and we still had to pay, so now this is a bone of contention for us. This is a well established jardin that has good profit margins by the way as they charge a lot and don't pay their staff much.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 am

Of course they should be charging less, their fixed heating costs (which are not insignificant) here in the South have completely disappeared has have electricity costs, etc. A lot of other companies are taking a hit and offering relief to their customers, schools need to get on board too and offer substantial discounts. Technically parents are under no contractual onligations to even pay at the moment, especially if this drags on for 6 months with no school, as the service agreed to on enrollment is not being provided.
I would expect a lot of schools to loose a lot of students, the myth that going to a "good" (expensive) school gets you a good education in Chile will unravel as they are not providing anything like value for money at the moment.
I know, not their fault, but it's no ones and many others in the community are taking a financial hit and reduction in salaries, schools should be no different.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:27 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 am
Of course they should be charging less, their fixed heating costs (which are not insignificant) here in the South have completely disappeared has have electricity costs, etc.
I would guess that their biggest outgoings are personnel, who will still be getting paid.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:37 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:27 pm
41southchile wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 am
Of course they should be charging less, their fixed heating costs (which are not insignificant) here in the South have completely disappeared has have electricity costs, etc.
I would guess that their biggest outgoings are personnel, who will still be getting paid.
Yeah I would imagine so, but they certainly not doing the work they usually do though , guess that's the same for a lot of people

Fugger

Post by Fugger » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm

I fear that one of the negative consuequences will be massive breach of contract across industries. I hope it will not lead to a general culture that contracts don't need to be adhered to (well I guess we have this culture already in parts of the world)

Just a few examples
- retail rents not being paid (including well known brands such as Adidas etc)
- airlines not reimbursing cancelled flights
- private schooling sector

I expect massive litigation as the states will not be able to bridge the difference.
1531 pacta sunt servanda

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:57 am

Fugger wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm
I fear that one of the negative consuequences will be massive breach of contract across industries. I hope it will not lead to a general culture that contracts don't need to be adhered to (well I guess we have this culture already in parts of the world)

Just a few examples
- retail rents not being paid (including well known brands such as Adidas etc)
- airlines not reimbursing cancelled flights
- private schooling sector

I expect massive litigation as the states will not be able to bridge the difference.
So how about this for an example? (Its a true story)

John sells his house to Jane and buys another one from Jack , country goes into lockdown . John asks Jane to wait to move into his house till after lockdown she is ok with that and doesnt want to do anything anyway. Jack on the other hand is buying a plot of land from Fred and Fred wants settlement now and will sue Jack if he doesnt complete purchase that he has agreed to.
Therefore Jack forces John to complete sale , John cant pay him yet because Jane is waiting for lockdown ot finish.
John will be charged interest of 300 bucks a day on outstanding amount owed to Jack.

I dont think it will lead to a general culture of breach of contracts across industries, but as the above example shows these are complicated times and it's clear the only winners will be the lawyers.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:42 am

actually the running joke among attorneys right now, which is not so much a joke anymore, is that once this pandemic is over there will be a tsunami of divorces that will follow. way toooo many people with marriages that work, if they don't have to spend 24 hours a day with each other.