Plebiscite

General topics related to Living in Chile
StrawberryHeartsForever
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Plebiscite

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Hey everyone. I am trying to gather information as to be able to make an informed decision when it comes to voting in the plebiscite. Does anyone want to share their reasons for or against a new constitution. Hopefully informed opinions and not baseless ones. And hopefully we can have a respectful debate regardless of which way you intend to vote. Thank you.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8233
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Plebiscite

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:04 pm

If this gets tooooo hot, do you as a foreigner want to show at the voting place (think bad stares to heckling or worse)?

Since it is not mandatory, I may personally decide to sit this vote out (I did vote in the last Prez. election).
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22254
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Plebiscite

Post by admin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:17 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:04 pm
If this gets tooooo hot, do you as a foreigner want to show at the voting place (think bad stares to heckling or worse)?

Since it is not mandatory, I may personally decide to sit this vote out (I did vote in the last Prez. election).
pleaseeeeee, no body cares if a foriegner votes or not.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8233
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Plebiscite

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm

I guess it depends on how foreign you look and sound.

I know the commies would not like my vote but then the ignorant fachos may think I'm a commie.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22254
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Plebiscite

Post by admin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:29 pm

For a while I was not just the only foreigner at my table, but the only guy.

back when they eliminated the men/ women table rule, I was tacked on to the end of what had been a traditionally all female table. It was kind of running joke among the girls, until a couple other guys got added to the mixed table.

I think we got about 10 foreigners now that all vote at the same polling place.

I also don't think the military is going to be in the mood for any bullshit, and they are by law in charge of polling place security.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Plebiscite

Post by 41southchile » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:26 am

StrawberryHeartsForever wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:22 pm
Hey everyone. I am trying to gather information as to be able to make an informed decision when it comes to voting in the plebiscite. Does anyone want to share their reasons for or against a new constitution. Hopefully informed opinions and not baseless ones. And hopefully we can have a respectful debate regardless of which way you intend to vote. Thank you.
For: The history of the Pinochet years it is always going to fester in Chile society forever, generation after generation , actual and even half ass stories get carried down generations like Chinese whispers so that society will always be divided .
Because this constitution was implemented in Pinochet time it's not legitimate according to many , so maybe a new slate so to speak to protect water resources and things that are relevant and critical in 2020.

Against: the country can barely organize things now in a timely manner, the uncertainty will last for years, and it is full of ignorant masses that can be easily manipulated and unscrupulous politicians.

Those are just a couple of random responses I have heard in the last few months.

So its continue with the current social divisions that sit just below the facade of a civilised society in Chile or jump into the abyss not knowing the outcome .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Donnybrook
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3296
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: Plebiscite

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:40 pm

Although the constitution was originally written under Pinochet it has changed dramatically over the years. Most changes were done under Lagos, I believe. I have not heard any good argument for changing to a new constitution aside from the Pinochet reference which gets trotted out.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22254
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Plebiscite

Post by admin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:40 pm
Although the constitution was originally written under Pinochet it has changed dramatically over the years. Most changes were done under Lagos, I believe. I have not heard any good argument for changing to a new constitution aside from the Pinochet reference which gets trotted out.
and much of that was a copy and paste from previous constitutions.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2105
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Plebiscite

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:23 pm

New Constitution = Trojan Horse.

(Article written by a Venezuelan journalist, so he knows what he's talking about)
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Plebiscite

Post by 41southchile » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:55 am

Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:40 pm
Although the constitution was originally written under Pinochet it has changed dramatically over the years. Most changes were done under Lagos, I believe. I have not heard any good argument for changing to a new constitution aside from the Pinochet reference which gets trotted out.
Doesn't matter for the ignorant and zealots. It came in under his watch , therefore bad, they cant tell the whole story now can they? that would ruin the narrative.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Plebiscite

Post by 41southchile » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:57 am

admin wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:07 pm
Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:40 pm
Although the constitution was originally written under Pinochet it has changed dramatically over the years. Most changes were done under Lagos, I believe. I have not heard any good argument for changing to a new constitution aside from the Pinochet reference which gets trotted out.
and much of that was a copy and paste from previous constitutions.
See the reply to Donnybrook, it doesn't make any difference to them,
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Plebiscite

Post by 41southchile » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:00 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:23 pm
New Constitution = Trojan Horse.

(Article written by a Venezuelan journalist, so he knows what he's talking about)
Most Venezuelans dont have a clue what they are talking about most of the time, quite similar to Chileans in that sense, but they like to think they do. So I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Post Reply