Looking for apartment in Santiago

General topics related to Living in Chile
willienelson

Looking for apartment in Santiago

Post by willienelson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:58 am

A family member is looking for a one bedroom/studio/ granny flat apartment in Santiago, preferably nunoa or providencia area. He’s seen a few decent ones but he’s just arrived in Chile recently and works online so doesn’t have the necessary papers. He has Chilean nationality. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to go about renting a place in this situation? Thanks!

GAminer

Re: Looking for apartment in Santiago

Post by GAminer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Honestly, it is pretty difficult finding a corredora who will rent to you without all the BS documents that they ask for, dicom, work contract, AFP, etc. It really is ridiculous. You just have to inquire and hope to find somebody competent who understands that some people work remotely.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 pm

Start with Airbnb. He will probably need fully furnished to begin with anyway.

willienelson

Post by willienelson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks for the replies - he's been in Airbnb's for the last couple of months but is looking for something a little more long term

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:33 pm

willienelson wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:56 pm
Thanks for the replies - he's been in Airbnb's for the last couple of months but is looking for something a little more long term
There is a new apartment building in Ñuñoa next to the ChileAtiende office. I went to look at some of the units and they told me they would rent to me with docs as long as I could provide proof of income and chilean id. Building consists of studios and 1br units. PM me and I will send you the number of the agent.

willienelson

Post by willienelson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 am

Cheers for that - pm sent. Another question, if you break a lease in Chile, are you liable for the rent for the remaining time? Also, if you have an Aval, do they become liable?

Thanks again

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:57 am

The terms will be in your lease. You'll most likely owe rent for the rest of the contract, and the aval will be liable as well. Needless to say, renting and then disappearing mid-lease is A Very Bad Idea.

Most landlords are reasonable people, though, so you may be able to negotiate an early leave date if needed. They'll most likely want to keep the deposit, but your mileage may vary.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:04 am

I was able to lease an apartment in Santiago for a half year with cash up front and no proof of income. It's definitely doable.

willienelson

Post by willienelson » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:37 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:04 am
I was able to lease an apartment in Santiago for a half year with cash up front and no proof of income. It's definitely doable.
Was that with a corredor? Would you have their contact details?

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:15 pm

I rented it with nothing but my passport and a big fat stack of orange bills. It was the first and only apartment I tried to rent, which I found on portalimobilario. The owner of the property showed me the place. I'm guessing that if it was listed through a realty company it would have been a different story.

How many apartments do you think have been rented in the last month now that the global economy has been carpet bombed? I'm willing to bet people are willing to make deals to get warm bodies into apartments right now. If they tell you that you have to pay a higher price because you don't have documents tell them to go pound sand in a nice way and make sure they have your phone number so they can call you back later.

willienelson

Post by willienelson » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:40 am

Yeah I kind of thought that might be the case now, I can't imagine there's a huge demand at the moment.

As a matter of interest, is it necessary/advisable for a lease agreement to be signed in a public notary? Or is it normal to sign a copy supplied by the agent outside of a notary?

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:02 am

I don't know what the norm is, but I signed my lease in a public notary.