The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

General topics related to Living in Chile
Jamers41

Re: The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:52 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:01 pm
Fishermen dealing to the stupid school kids who tried to take stuff from their workplace/shops to burn.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... raiso.html
I saw that article earlier today.........almost universal support for the fishermen in the comments below (yeah it's El Mercurio, but still).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm

so finally.

they arrested 68 people, the "front line" of a protest a couple of weeks ago, using a new tactic by the police that separated and rounded up all the violent protesters in one mass arrest.

government asked for them all to be held until trial. think the tactic is to get the trouble makers off the street for as long as possible.

left wing judges set them all free. all of them, except for one guy that sounded like he had warrants.

the government appealed and the supreme court ordered them all arrested, including the minors, held until trial.

FYI, there was a rather large number of foriegners in that group. about 25% as I recall.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:36 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm
so finally.

they arrested 68 people, the "front line" of a protest a couple of weeks ago, using a new tactic by the police that separated and rounded up all the violent protesters in one mass arrest.

government asked for them all to be held until trial. think the tactic is to get the trouble makers off the street for as long as possible.

left wing judges set them all free. all of them, except for one guy that sounded like he had warrants.

the government appealed and the supreme court ordered them all arrested, including the minors, held until trial.

FYI, there was a rather large number of foriegners in that group. about 25% as I recall.
Did they let out the nationalities of the foreigners arrested? Is there a proportional distribution, considering the nationalities of foreigners in Chile, or does it lean heavily towards those from countries with extreme-left regimes?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:13 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:36 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm
so finally.

Did they let out the nationalities of the foreigners arrested? Is there a proportional distribution, considering the nationalities of foreigners in Chile, or does it lean heavily towards those from countries with extreme-left regimes?
My memory could be off but I remember reading that specifically 44 of them were supposed to go to "preventive prison" (that was the prosecutor's objective) and 43 of them were released.....some (28) of which were now ordered to back to prison with this decision from an appeals court. Of those only 4 or 5 were foreigners, and there was no particular concentration of nationalities from what I read before (something like 2 Colombians, 1 Peruvian and 1 or 2 other South Americans). I'm looking at the Emol article right now from today about the new judicial resolution but there's no mention of foreigners there.

chilly

Post by chilly » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:38 am

Besides the constitution + laws, treaties that Chile has ratified are also somewhat equivalent of the constitution. The US Constitution has a clause which makes treaties equal to the constitution, which of course causes problems.

https://www.constituteproject.org/const ... e_2012.pdf

Article 5
Sovereignty resides intrinsically in the Nation. Its exercise is realized by the people
through the plebiscite and periodic elections, and also, by the authorities that this
Constitution establishes. No sector of the people nor any individual may arrogate its
exercise.
• Referenda
The exercise of sovereignty recognizes as a limitation the respect for the essential
rights which emanate from human nature. It is the duty of the organs of the State to
respect and promote those rights, guaranteed by this Constitution, as well as by the
international treaties
ratified by Chile and which are in force.

Here is a list of treaties that Chile has ratified (I think)? There is a whole bunch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... s_of_Chile

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 am

seems delaying the vote is gaining traction from all sides.

https://www.latercera.com/politica/noti ... HP73TTSAI/

they also called off protests that were scheduled in the bio bio region.

nothing like a deadly pandemic to get people's attention, even if they continue to be frigen morons.

don't worry. They are humans. I am sure they will do something even stupider tomorrow.

😃🤣
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:14 pm

A few weeks ago, the Providencia town council tried planting ground cover plants in Plaza Baquedano an attempt to mitigate the desolate spectacle of all that bare dirt. The plants didn't last more than a few days before the manifestantes trampled them into the ground again.

Now the council is having a go at repainting the statue, an act that has been catalogued as a "provocation" by some.
The world truly is upside down. No doubt it will be re-graffitied quite quickly.
'
Intendente Guevara dice que no es ninguna provocación limpieza de monumento de general Baquedano.jpg
'
Comentario.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:18 pm

"Los simios", so dehumanizations from the dumpster fire of consistently fascists comments on Emol totally deserve reposting here, right?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:30 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:18 pm
"Los simios", so dehumanizations from the dumpster fire of consistently fascists comments on Emol totally deserve reposting here, right?
"Simios" is being unfair to apes.
Since you obviously approve of this type of vandalistic action, do you go round spray-painting Valdivia ?
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:00 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:18 pm
While I do agree that there are some crack pots who comment on Emol articles, I don't think that anyone should be surprised that if a person acts like an animal, they are called names of animals.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:30 pm
"Simios" is being unfair to apes.
Since you obviously approve of this type of vandalistic action, do you go round spray-painting Valdivia ?
Ah, more dehumanization. How do you feel about all their typical comments calling to "kill all communists" or "tenemos k,,, salirse de los derechos humanos"?

Sprayed walls is an unfortunate side-effect of the anger produced by the mix of injustice and the system's repeated failures to correct that injustice. As a citizen of a country that once accumulated steam up to a real revolution, I see the destructions as a compromise to let that steam off a bit.

I wish it wasn't happening but then I open the news only to see Piñera or some other well-insulated upper-class government member spewing some nonsense detached from the reality. So I sigh and expect more sprays and barricades in the future.

Then I open this forum and see dehumanization of the protestors, claims that they are controlled from some Worldwide Marxist Forum, and statements like "they are just lazy kids that should work more".

Right, every one of them should pull themselves up by their bootstraps: from the bottom of some poverty-stricken commune through every glass ceiling of the skin tone, last name, attended school, inability to open a bank account, and whatever cuico rule of the day is invented to prevent the subhuman "pobladores" of Puento Alto from mixing with the "vecinos" from Las Condes.

If only they collectively did it and were not those "comunistas keren todoh gratis" types, uh-oh!

Anyway, enough with sarcasms for me. Lots of the first line protestors grew up in SENAME. Connect the dots.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:00 pm
While I do agree that there are some crack pots who comment on Emol articles, I don't think that anyone should be surprised that if a person acts like an animal, they are called names of animals.
No surprises here, it's a typical step before starting to treat them like animals. Humans have been doing this trick since forever: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehumanization

And we are discussing it in the context of Emol comments that frequently call for the extermination of the protestors without being censored.