The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

General topics related to Living in Chile
snobrd4life

Re: The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

Post by snobrd4life » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:29 am

admin wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 am
How many other families are making the same decision this year?
My wife's much younger cousin is also about to start his 3rd year at uni in Valdivia. Second semester last year was very complicated we all feel bad for him because he is a fantastic student that genuinely has excelled in every opportunity that he has been presented.

We have already spoken with his parents that if it looks like classes are going to be heavily interrupted that he will be more than welcome to come for a long visit to work on his English skills. At first I chuckled because English is definitely the second language in Miami, but then convinced everybody that as part of the deal he would have to sign up for some kind of volunteer gig to surround himself with non-Spanish speakers... and to get him regularly out of the house.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am

ghibli wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:14 am
RE the students: I think a lot of students will not risk losing a year plus all that money. And lots of people will delay purchases, investments, etc. In my little world I've decided to put off some repairs/improvements to my house, so those maestros won't have the work and supply houses won't have the sales. The peso today is at 832. Poor chile. Way too many candidates for the Darwin awards.
I guess it depends on where you are. This week 3 people that have purchased parcelas from us have made the decision to build. The builders I have talked to have never been busier, here in the South. I see construction going on everywhere. I've personally increased my investment and house improvements (more future proofing and building for resliliance projects I've brought forward). Ive seen many others do the same. New water tank and holding capacity, new security sensor lights outside, new fences new raised vegetable gardens, new house for chickens and more chickens, new freezer, new generator. So thanks CMR, I'd never really wanted those types of cards, but the offered at the checkout at sodimac the other day (which was absolutely packed) theres heres some good savings with that card, guess I'm ust part of the system now, but also trying to get out of it a bit. Etc . But back on topic, the abandonment and depopulation of certain areas and increase of industries and population in others(south) will only accelerate now .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:16 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:14 am

oh, no this was way pre-oecd. The left did this just reform about 20 years ago, under the cover modernizing the old spanish system, and completely cut the balls off the criminal justice system. They have block all attempts to impose any sort of reform since then.
The Reforma Procesal Penal was initiated round 2000. A whole bunch of reforms were implemented around this time to modernize the state with the aim of bringing it more into line with international norms, perhaps with the long-term goal of OECD membership, although that was never mentioned, at least in public. That particular reform's origins are now shrouded in mystery, but from what I recall, European advisers were employed to help draft it.

Now widely seen as a costly, inefficient, corrupt mess.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:31 am

41southchile wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am
ghibli wrote:
RE the students: I think a lot of students will not risk losing a year plus all that money. And lots of people will delay purchases, investments, etc. In my little world I've decided to put off some repairs/improvements to my house, so those maestros won't have the work and supply houses won't have the sales. The peso today is at 832. Poor chile. Way too many candidates for the Darwin awards.
I guess it depends on where you are. This week 3 people that have purchased parcelas from us have made the decision to build. The builders I have talked to have never been busier, here in the South. I see construction going on everywhere. I've personally increased my investment and house improvements (more future proofing and building for resliliance projects I've brought forward). Ive seen many others do the same. New water tank and holding capacity, new security sensor lights outside, new fences new raised vegetable gardens, new house for chickens and more chickens, new freezer, new generator. So thanks CMR, I'd never really wanted those types of cards, but the offered at the checkout at sodimac the other day (which was absolutely packed) theres heres some good savings with that card, guess I'm ust part of the system now, but also trying to get out of it a bit. Etc . But back on topic, the abandonment and depopulation of certain areas and increase of industries and population in others(south) will only accelerate now .
you are not the only one.

we got other parcelation projects we are handling in los lagos, and a brand new one we just took over in frutillar just sold like 8 lots in the last week. They were still trying to figure out a sales and promotion strategy. The lots are moving themselves now.

The property sales are on fire in the region.

In my own development, there are like four houses being built within sight of my house. I have not even been paying attention to what is going on further down the road towards llanquiheu.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:35 am

so, I think, for the first time since this crap started back in October, we finally got paco putting a cap in the ass (actually his leg) of a protester that was attacking him:

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... entes.html

guess what?

they stopped attacking.

who would have thought. they arrested the guy that was shot and one other.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am

ghibli wrote:
oh, and that peso rate is not the protesters. that is the coronavirus smacking copper and exports down.

If china recovers, the peso will too.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am

admin wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:31 am
41southchile wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am
ghibli wrote:
you are not the only one.

we got other parcelation projects we are handling in los lagos, and a brand new one we just took over in frutillar just sold like 8 lots in the last week. They were still trying to figure out a sales and promotion strategy. The lots are moving themselves now.

The property sales are on fire in the region.

In my own development, there are like four houses being built within sight of my house. I have not even been paying attention to what is going on further down the road towards llanquiheu.
Llanquihue is a little town of less than 10 thousand people, the poor cousin of Puerto Varas, on the shores of llanquihue. The biggest building atm is probably a 3 story house , this is the 3rd appartment project that is going ahead here that I have discovered this week, plus there is two housing projects of over 500 houses between them that are also for sale off the plans. So no, no slow down here, quite the opposite actually.
Hope it's ok to put that link, just to give you an idea of prices.
https://www.puntallanquihue.cl/

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:54 pm

last Thursday night, the operators of the Costanera Norte had to block normal traffic on that route due to illegal road races, attended by a great many spectators in dangerous conditions. The police refused to stop this, alleging they don't have the legal authority. Another example of the "no hay normas" attitude. Probably didn't have enough manpower either.
Nothing new about those illegal street races, they happen all over Chile, but never on such a big scale.
The country is falling apart, everyone seems to feel that they are "free" to do whatever they want.
Costanera Norte por carreras clandestinas Resulta inexcusable la falta de coordinación y estrategia de [...].jpg
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... iones.html

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:59 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:54 pm

The country is falling apart, everyone seems to feel that they are "free" to do whatever they want.
Building houses without plans
Selling illegal or stolen shit on the street
Felling forests and native trees
Illegal fishing and seafood gathering
Speeding
Parking illegally
Micros stopping wherever
Lighting fires out of season
Kids with no car restraints.
These are a few examples I can think off the top of my head in about 30 seconds. Ever since Adam was a boy the vast majority of Chileans have felt free to do whatever they want 90 percent of the time ,its been like that ever since I first came here 25 years ago.They know they wont get caught, and dont give a shit .Its nothing new, and it's kind of like it's in their DNA.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:14 am

41southchile wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:59 am

Building houses without plans
Selling illegal or stolen shit on the street
Felling forests and native trees
Illegal fishing and seafood gathering
Speeding
Parking illegally
Micros stopping wherever
Lighting fires out of season
Kids with no car restraints.
These are a few examples I can think off the top of my head in about 30 seconds. Ever since Adam was a boy the vast majority of Chileans have felt free to do whatever they want 90 percent of the time ,its been like that ever since I first came here 25 years ago.They know they wont get caught, and dont give a shit .Its nothing new, and it's kind of like it's in their DNA.
You are right, of course. Chileans have always been legalistic, rather than law-abiding. Now that respect for law and order has been weakened, anything goes. But it will have to come back, one way or another, regardless of which side wins the current power struggle.

Après moi, le déluge

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 pm

to 41southchile. Yes, this is sadly the chile I have come to know in my 8 years. I will add maestros stealing building materials; maestros refusing to follow instructions resulting in work needed a redo for which they expect to be paid; people with aggressive dogs which they set free in the streets despite leash laws. That's my least favorite - I've been bitten twice. Fortunately the rabies shots (five) are a one time only thing. One cat killed by a pack which broke thru the seto. People tail gating at high speed... etc etc

BUT - I've met some great people. Small number to be sure, but I try to focus on those few. As for chile's health system, it's still way better than the us FUBAR which could seriously fail if the worst comes to pass. Let's look after "March Madness" which is when all the college students take their student loan money and get well and truly drunk.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:22 pm

So s rip roaring success today only 19 cops injured (so far, its night now)
Certainly not the 2 million the organiser is trying to claim.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... tiago.html