The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Re: The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:11 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Howdy, Britkid. January and February have been quiet.
Only relatively quiet. Antofagasta, for example was one place where they never stopped.
Tren avanzó en llamas tras ataque incendiario en Antofagasta.png
Anuncian cierre de dos supermercados en Antofagasta tras numerosos saqueos.png
Not forgetting the Viña spectacle....And they got the New Year started in Santiago with this:
Nuevo detenido por ataque incendiario y saqueo a iglesia de Carabineros.png
So "quiet", no, not really. Not like normal.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:33 am

so they approved the "gender equality" rules.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... omentarios

It is so sqrewed up, I am not even sure I can explain it.

so we go to vote.

we elect everyone.

after the election, they will count the men and women elected to see if there is a 50/ 50 balance.

If there is not, they will boot say a male canidate that was elected in favor of the next female canidate, on the same party ticket, that is of the opposite sex.

so, we will not really know who we are voting for, until after they screw with results.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:45 am

so say, the party injects a women with no political experience, no education, that supports none of the ideas I support, and I want to elect the male party member that has political experience, education, supports the ideas I want; they will replace him, after I cast my vote.

Yea, that sounds completely democratic.

I am all for more women politics, but that is there solution?

I got a novel idea. How about a feminist party? how about a bunch of them? You can have left, right, center ones. If you want to get a female agenda in to politics, great; that is what parties are for. form one, or a bunch of them. I am sure there are plenty of support among women, and with the right platform, hell I will vote for them; but, don't go screwing with the very mechanism of democracy.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

chilly

Post by chilly » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:09 am

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:45 am
so say, the party injects a women with no political experience, no education, that supports none of the ideas I support, and I want to elect the male party member that has political experience, education, supports the ideas I want; they will replace him, after I cast my vote.

Yea, that sounds completely democratic.

I am all for more women politics, but that is there solution?

I got a novel idea. How about a feminist party? how about a bunch of them? You can have left, right, center ones. If you want to get a female agenda in to politics, great; that is what parties are for. form one, or a bunch of them. I am sure there are plenty of support among women, and with the right platform, hell I will vote for them; but, don't go screwing with the very mechanism of democracy.
That is somewhat like what was feared in the USA. Sanders with the most votes but less than 50%. Biden behind him. A contested primary where the superdelegates put in Hillary Clinton for DNC candidate. Less likely now. But unlike your example, all three suck. :lol:

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:17 am

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:45 am
; but, don't go screwing with the very mechanism of democracy.
I think it's already been screwed in most "democracies"
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:01 am

So the cops arrest these criminals and the judges let them back out , of 44 arrested only one didnt get released. Am I missing something here ? Why cant they be kept in preventive detention? Is it No evidence? Oh that's right, most just happened to be walking past at the time and were nothing to do with the disorder , of course.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... linea.html

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:08 pm

41southchile wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:01 am
Why cant they be kept in preventive detention? Is it No evidence? Oh that's right, most just happened to be walking past at the time and were nothing to do with the disorder , of course.
Jails already overcrowded, prison service desperately underfunded.
Dysfunctional OECD-mandated "reform" of the criminal justice system copy-pasted from less violent societies, with greater emphasis on Human Rights.

I believe that the police tried "kettling" for the first time here, rather than just trying to disperse the mob as usual.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:14 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:08 pm
41southchile wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:01 am
Why cant they be kept in preventive detention? Is it No evidence? Oh that's right, most just happened to be walking past at the time and were nothing to do with the disorder , of course.
Jails already overcrowded, prison service desperately underfunded.
Dysfunctional OECD-mandated "reform" of the criminal justice system copy-pasted from less violent societies, with greater emphasis on Human Rights.

I believe that the police tried "kettling" for the first time here, rather than just trying to disperse the mob as usual.
oh, no this was way pre-oecd. The left did this just reform about 20 years ago, under the cover modernizing the old spanish system, and completely cut the balls off the criminal justice system. They have block all attempts to impose any sort of reform since then.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 am

so, I came across an interesting consequence of the "social crisis".

a University student not going back to school this year, because of the protesters are just going shutdown the schools.

friend of ours son, would be starting what would have been his third year of university in Valparaiso. He decided, with the blessing of his parents, to take the year off.

At first, I was thinking 'that is a bad, bad idea' as students tend to loose the momentum and never go back; but, in this case they have some pretty good reasons.

they are not rich family by any stretch, but mom and dad have really gone over and above to make sure their kids get a good education, paying for private schools, etc that were way above their budget, etc.

so, to send your kid from the south, to the central region, to go to school, with all the costs of living, tuition, travel, etc, is a major sacrifice for them.

but, now the question is for what purpose?

To have your kid in harms way, smack in the middle of the worse of the protests? To pay tuition and costs of living, so that the school can cancel classes for most of the year, and they just end-up paying for him to repeat it later?

even worse, he is a law student. Is he going to complete another say two years, to have the entire legal framework change? This has happened before with the judicial reform I just mentioned. basically, young attorneys in the market and their employment prospects were basically divided along what years they graduated, before or after the reform. That went on for about 10 years, before everyone got caught up on the new system, or older attorneys simply retired. no one wanted to hire young attorneys, that graduated before those reforms for certain areas of practice (family and criminal law mostly).

He will be fine. He speaks English at a level that you would not be able to distinguish him from any u.s. university freshman. He knows his way around computers, and friend of ours as hired him to work in her international IT company this year. He will probably make more money doing that, and have more opportunities than if he went to law school anyway.

so, I see their point of view. hopefully he does finish at some point. however, that leads me to the natural next question.

How many other families are making the same decision this year?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:21 am

Extremists Breaking in to a military base in Iquique.
The armed forces keep saying this

La institución aseguró en un comunicado que frente a este tipo de hechos utilizarán "los medios que la legislación vigente otorga", en relación a legitimate defensa
Basically the have right to use live ammunition in their bases for self defense.
The military keep saying this and so far have been very restrained when faced with this sort of shit, let's see what happens when one of these idiots gets shot and killed, it's only a matter of time I'm guessing. The derecho humanos will be all over it like a rash.
If you break into a military base to protest, then you are surely on the short list for the Darwin awards.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... -Fach.html

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:14 am

RE the students: I think a lot of students will not risk losing a year plus all that money. And lots of people will delay purchases, investments, etc. In my little world I've decided to put off some repairs/improvements to my house, so those maestros won't have the work and supply houses won't have the sales. The peso today is at 832. Poor chile. Way too many candidates for the Darwin awards.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:19 am

It's like Chileans have a death wish with the younger ones having the greater urge.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard