The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

Post by admin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 am

Thought a new thread on the topic was required, now that there is a little (very little) more clarity on the trajectory of this while mess.

The vote for the constitution is April 26th, and foriegners with more than 5 years of residency may participate.

what is still up in the air, is well just about everything. the details of how it will work have not been sorted, beyond there will be a vote.

top on the to do list, is the change back to obligatory voting system.

article this morning on who would benefit:

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... ucion.html

basically the left screwed up a few years back, got rid of the obligatory vote, and now they have decided they don't like the results.

based on what has happened in other countries, at the time I predicted the left would pay for it; and they did. voluntary voting tends to always favor the right, older, more conservative type voters.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: The new constitutional vote and the social crisis

Post by admin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am

additional short list of things that are unknown about this vote:

constitutional mixed option, has yet to be defined. how are the congressional reps selected?

quatos have not been settled, although everyone seems vaguely on board with the idea. but is it indians, women, independents, people from mars, etc?

what exactly happens if the "no" vote wins?

what happens if the constitution whatever can not finish in the time given?

what happens if they write a constitution, put it to a vote, and it is rejected. was this all for nothing?

what happens if the anarchist take to the street and disrupt the election like they did the PSU?

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 am

admin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am

constitutional mixed option, has yet to be defined. how are the congressional reps selected?

quatos have not been settled, although everyone seems vaguely on board with the idea. but is it indians, women, independents, people from mars, etc?

what happens if they write a constitution, put it to a vote, and it is rejected. was this all for nothing?

what happens if the anarchist take to the street and disrupt the election like they did the PSU?
And yet Chilean politicians are among the most well paid in the world. My guess is their priority was increasing their earnings, with learning how to run a country coming way down on their list of priorities.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:15 am

If things get too charged, will "foreigners" be evil-eyed, heckled, harassed or worse if seen at the voting centers?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:04 pm

Supposedly respectable left-wing political heavyweights like Heraldo Muñoz have already issued veiled threats that if constitutional change is not approved, the violence will escalate.

Given the authorities' abject failure in controlling the recent PSU examination process, which was wrecked by a bunch of schoolkids, what exceptional measures, if any, are being prepared to ensure orderly voting in the plebiscite, the results of which will have a major impact on the country's future?

Despite all the propaganda to the contrary, I suspect that the proposed constitutional change will be rejected, and its proponents have already prepared a strategy to wreck the process and declare victory by default, they will go all-out on this one. We ain't seen nuthin' yet....
pleb.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 pm

the military, by law, is supposed to secure the voting locations; which normally means a couple of unarmed military standing around the doors greeting people, giving directions, and helping old ladies to their polling locations. sort of hold over from the dictatorship, that everyone sort of goes through the motions to satisfy the legal requirement.

this time, probably means attracting trouble.

PXYC

Post by PXYC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:34 pm

How does a foreign gets eligible to vote? Does it need to register somewhere?

Oh well I arrived on August 2015 so I guess I'll miss the 5 year mark by some months..

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:43 pm

PXYC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:34 pm
How does a foreign gets eligible to vote? Does it need to register somewhere?

Oh well I arrived on August 2015 so I guess I'll miss the 5 year mark by some months..
it is automattic, based on civil registery database.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm

What is the difference between the PSU and say the SAT or ACT in the states?

I understand it is an entry exam for University, but not sure as to their reasoning for protesting it.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 pm
the military, by law, is supposed to secure the voting locations; which normally means a couple of unarmed military standing around the doors greeting people, giving directions, and helping old ladies to their polling locations. sort of hold over from the dictatorship, that everyone sort of goes through the motions to satisfy the legal requirement.

this time, probably means attracting trouble.
I've always seen armed military at the local voting places (usually outside the schools) near me, even for Municipal elections. My father was here one year and said, that's a bit over the top isn't it ? Not this time I guess. There is (was?) also a dry law too, is that still in place? No alcohol sales on the day of the election.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am

No one has a clue .

quatos have not been settled, although everyone seems vaguely on board with the idea. but is it indians, women, independents, people from mars, etc

No one has a clue

Violence

Violence

what happens if they write a constitution, put it to a vote, and it is rejected? . was this all for nothing?

Violence and no

Violence
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:35 pm

So we have thee months to stock up just in case we need to stay inside for a month or more after living the flick:

El 26-Abr. : Planeta de los Simios SHILE, Parte 2
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard