6.1 los lagos, 5.4 coqimbo quake

General topics related to Living in Chile
lost gringo

Re: 6.1 los lagos, 5.4 coqimbo quake

Post by lost gringo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:21 am

I was driving a few kilometers from the Samore border crossing, very near the epicenter. When I arrived at the border the personnel at Aduana de Chile, SAG and PDI were all very calmly drinking mate like nothing unusual had just happened. I didn't even know there was an earthquake until the one of the Aduana guys asked if I felt it. You would think a 6.1 would cause a bit of a stir but no one seemed to be bothered.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:03 pm

mem wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:10 pm
Been in Chile since mid-2015 and still have not felt a proper EQ. Im in the Caburgua area and honestly the only thing I have ever felt was a pressure wave that was just a fraction of second while visiting a friend that lived on the side of a volcano towards the Villarrica area. Nothing happened after the pressure wave...I was quite shaken thinking it was a foreshock of something major, but it was a whole lot of nothing.

But wow, if the Los Lagos EQ came from a volcano that hasn't erupted since 200BC...that is a little scary!

But Coquimbo?...Dont even pay attention to those anymore...Coquimbo is like the Alaska of Chile. EQ's all the time
I own a property within walking distance of where that earthquake occurred. I have not talked to anyone up there however. It is pretty much smack on the sendero de Chile trail through the national park.

There is a theory about volcanoes, and volcano chains. That a magma chamber, in a relatively thin point in the crust of the earth, and that the crust drifts across those chambers creating volcano chains on the surface.

So, for instance in this case, you can pretty much draw a south to north arrow across all those volcanoes shown on that map above, and you get oldest to youngest (puyehue 2011 eruption is on the north side ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Puye ... e_eruption

for those that were not around, here was what it looked like and discussion on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6111&start=48#p66305

On the south side, you have the Puntiagudo, which has the dramatic point that is mostly the eroded core of a volcano. Kind of like devils tower in the U.S.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volc%C3%A1n_Puntiagudo

So, yea, if it was directly volcano related, a little disturbing; but at 137 km down, not that worried. I am not worried too much about my property. A) not much to damage. B) we have a bunch of hills between us and the business end of that volcano. C) we are down wind. In 2011, the ash went all the way around the World, and our property finally got a slight dusting of ash. Really, those volcanoes are a problem for Argentina.

But I Joked to my wife yesterday, if it blows, we are totally driving up there to watch it. I want some good photos for my volcano eruption collection. I have seen sufficient volcano eruptions since coming to Chile, they don't scare me. I actually love watching them. Obviously, from a reasonable distance, but I would not have any problem driving in to say an exclusion zone to get some good photos and watch the action.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:25 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:03 pm
mem wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:10 pm
Been in Chile since mid-2015 and still have not felt a proper EQ. Im in the Caburgua area and honestly the only thing I have ever felt was a pressure wave that was just a fraction of second while visiting a friend that lived on the side of a volcano towards the Villarrica area. Nothing happened after the pressure wave...I was quite shaken thinking it was a foreshock of something major, but it was a whole lot of nothing.

But wow, if the Los Lagos EQ came from a volcano that hasn't erupted since 200BC...that is a little scary!

But Coquimbo?...Dont even pay attention to those anymore...Coquimbo is like the Alaska of Chile. EQ's all the time
I own a property within walking distance of where that earthquake occurred. I have not talked to anyone up there however. It is pretty much smack on the sendero de Chile trail through the national park.

There is a theory about volcanoes, and volcano chains. That a magma chamber, in a relatively thin point in the crust of the earth, and that the crust drifts across those chambers creating volcano chains on the surface.

So, for instance in this case, you can pretty much draw a south to north arrow across all those volcanoes shown on that map above, and you get oldest to youngest (puyehue 2011 eruption is on the north side ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Puye ... e_eruption

for those that were not around, here was what it looked like and discussion on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6111&start=48#p66305

On the south side, you have the Puntiagudo, which has the dramatic point that is mostly the eroded core of a volcano. Kind of like devils tower in the U.S.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volc%C3%A1n_Puntiagudo

So, yea, if it was directly volcano related, a little disturbing; but at 137 km down, not that worried. I am not worried too much about my property. A) not much to damage. B) we have a bunch of hills between us and the business end of that volcano. C) we are down wind. In 2011, the ash went all the way around the World, and our property finally got a slight dusting of ash. Really, those volcanoes are a problem for Argentina.

But I Joked to my wife yesterday, if it blows, we are totally driving up there to watch it. I want some good photos for my volcano eruption collection. I have seen sufficient volcano eruptions since coming to Chile, they don't scare me. I actually love watching them. Obviously, from a reasonable distance, but I would not have any problem driving in to say an exclusion zone to get some good photos and watch the action.
Awesome, interesting, thanks for the links, I've only seen one dramatic one, Calbuco 2015, I say just but I count myself lucky in at least getting to see at least one and loved watching the raw power of that. The rest of the active volcanoes were just billowing smoke and not impressive as any decent bush fire or other massive blaze can throw smoke up quite high, but a volcano and the force behind the ash and smoke makes from something very fun to watch.
“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:04 pm

i'm waiting for osorno to blow, to complete my collection of the major volcanoes i can see from my front window.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:14 pm

at some point i need to sort of reorganize the forum. thinking i should just do a natural disaster sub-forum. then wrangle all the big and small crisis in to one forum. kind of help people moving to chile realize the "big" ones, are not as big as they are other places. they sound bad in the international headlines, but are not that big of deal in Chile.

that 6.1 yesterday i think got more press time international, than in chile.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Just had a 6.7 out of Constitucion. It shook real nicely here in Santiago, it was quite some time since we had one that we could feel.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:11 pm

22 quakes up to this moment, all to the West of Constitución, and slightly to the Northwest of where the last big one hit.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.