FONASA questions

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

FONASA questions

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:03 pm

I didn't want to hijack EEUU's FONASA thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17183&start=12, so I'm starting a new one. I'll go back over there, if it would be better to keep all of this together.

Anyway... I did some searching on fonasa.cl, and downloaded an official-looking pdf that says this:
CERTIFICADO

El FONDO NACIONAL DE SALUD certifica que, de acuerdo a sus registros, Don(a) XXXX XXXXXXXXX,
RUN 22222222-2, figura como afiliado (o beneficiario) del FONDO NACIONAL DE SALUD, encontrándose clasificado
en el Grupo D, a que se refiere el artículo 160 D.F.L Nº 01 del 2005, con certificación vigente.
The actual pdf has my name and RUT.

Does this mean I have FONASA D? And does anyone know how that compares to FONASA B (the one in EEUU's thread)? I never signed up for FONASA, but my accountant (he might be a lawyer, but I'm not sure) said that I automatically have it, because I'm paying monthly taxes on SII.cl. I think it's part of a new law, where self-employed people who issue "boletas de honorarios" are required to pay for health insurance. But I don't know much about it. And my accountant doesn't speak much English, so I don't know if I understood him correctly. Thanks
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: FONASA questions

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:35 pm

FONASA D:
--------------------------
Tramo D

Personas que perciben un ingreso imponible mensual mayor a $365.001.-
...Bonificación del 80% en Sistema Público y acceso a compra de bonos
--------------------------
You really need to visit Fonasa to find out your status. Sounds like you technically may be enrolled but if you haven't been paying, you are actually not covered (except for maybe the public system). Like I said before, this is a separate payment from SII and if you haven't been going into PreviRed every month to initiate payment and then making that payment in your CuentaRut or whatever, you are behind in payments or not enrolled at all. Also, if you don't recall registering your forefinger print for it, then definitely there is something missing here.

Also, there is no advantage to paying more than the minimum wage level to Fonasa as that actually limits your percentage coverage to below 100% in the public system.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:46 am

I also downloaded something called:
CERTIFICADO DE COTIZACIONES
Cuenta de Cotizaciones Obligatorias
And I think it says that I paid.

What I'm understanding is, the new law requires me to pay for insurance. SII calculates what I owe, and sends it to FONASA (assuming I paid SII of course). And I'd have better insurance, if I had less income and paid less into the system :?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 am

Try registering on the PreviRed site to see if you can enter it.

But do you recall registering for anything outside of Registro Civil with your forefinger print? How can you receive any covered heath care if your forefinger print is not registered?

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:49 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 am
Try registering on the PreviRed site to see if you can enter it.
I was already registered by Spencer--they used to make AFP payments for me. I just changed the contact email address from theirs to mine.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 am
But do you recall registering for anything outside of Registro Civil with your forefinger print? How can you receive any covered heath care if your forefinger print is not registered?
I don't remember getting fingerprinted outside of Registro Civil. And I don't remember doing anything at all, specifically for FONASA. If a fingerprint is necessary for healthcare, maybe they just get it from Registro Civil?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:17 am

Damn, you better verify that Spencer is making the monthly payments for BOTH AFP and Fonasa. Something seems to be missing from your description.

"Independent" workers need to enter the site at the beginning of every month and check off the buttons for AFP and Fonasa, then choose which bank they are using to pay. Once that is done, you need to go online into that bank account you chose to pay from and in the payments section go to "Otro Pagos" to bring up your PreviRed cortizacion/es and then pay for it.

I wouldn't trust anyone, even Spencer, for that bank access.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:21 am

I still think you are getting mixed up the Chilean version of worker comp and health insurance. If you are a tax paying worker, you have the Chilean version of US worker income comp if you get sick or injured. That is separate from health insurance like Fonasa or an Isapre.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:15 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:17 am
Damn, you better verify that Spencer is making the monthly payments for BOTH AFP and Fonasa. Something seems to be missing from your description.

"Independent" workers need to enter the site at the beginning of every month and check off the buttons for AFP and Fonasa, then choose which bank they are using to pay. Once that is done, you need to go online into that bank account you chose to pay from and in the payments section go to "Otro Pagos" to bring up your PreviRed cortizacion/es and then pay for it.

I'm not working with Spencer now. And I know that SII made at least some of my AFP payments before, when I didn't. I assume they made all of them, but there's too much I don't understand to know for sure. So maybe things are changing? I know the AFP requirements for self-employed people are new, and possibly the FONASA requirements too.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:31 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:21 am
I still think you are getting mixed up the Chilean version of worker comp and health insurance. If you are a tax paying worker, you have the Chilean version of US worker income comp if you get sick or injured. That is separate from health insurance like Fonasa or an Isapre.
Everything I read that I'm basing my understanding on, seemed to clearly separate worker's comp and health insurance. And even fonasa.cl gave me that pdf saying I have (the highest cost, highest co-payment) FONASA D. If I quit my job, I think I could get better insurance.

How's your knee?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:03 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:17 am

Just for clarification, we will help clients get set-up in the system (e.g. sii, afp, etc); but, we don't make the payments. We use to a long time ago, but it simply cheaper for them, and easier for us, to either make the payments themselves or we set them up with an accountant for handling the long-term management and payments. Typically when we are doing that sort of work it is in the larger context of setting up a company or businesses, and it is mostly related to getting employees covered by FONASA for labour law compliance and such.

FYI, we almost never get involved with FONASA for clients, beyond the absolute minimum required by law, because most of our client contract private insurance or simply do not live in the country fulltime.

so, to anyone readying this: DO NOT CALL US JUST FOR HELP WITH FONASA!!!!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 am

Let me put it another way. We are probably the most expensive way possible to just contract the cheapest health insurance in the country. :lol: :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:10 am

Maybe it's just me, but I only know the way to pay , and thata through previred, I didnt realise there was anyway to make payments to Isalpres/fonasa AFP through SII. I know there is some way tax rebates can go from SII to voluntary APV, but as for regular contributions from SII to AFP? Never knew that existed. Register with previred and all will be clear.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile