Dog cafe????!!

General topics related to Living in Chile
cr0zzb0w

Dog cafe????!!

Post by cr0zzb0w » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi.. I know this is a dumb post, but here it goes anyway..

I am aware of at least one cat cafe in Santiago, where cat lovers can hang out with the felines that they love, and socialize.

My question is, is there a dog cafe or any place where a dog lover can hang out with a lot of dogs. The reason I am asking is, I have a dear friend who is severely depressed and undergoing some tough times, who is a hardcore dog lover. Her job and the fact that she lives in a small place and thus unable to have a dog on her own.

I do acknowledge the stupidity of this post, but if someone knows of a place or a dog show, or a place where one can interact with some dogs, please share!!

cheers!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Dog cafe????!!

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:15 pm

Flaite street dogs also need some loving probably more than pampered cuico perros.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Sounds like a business opportunity!

What about contacting a shelter and asking to provide a group of the most cuddly residents in exchange for some donation?

cr0zzb0w

Post by cr0zzb0w » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:33 pm
Sounds like a business opportunity!

What about contacting a shelter and asking to provide a group of the most cuddly residents in exchange for some donation?
was thinking that! I know that the ñuñoa shelter takes in volunteers! could be an option! wish there was a dog cafe tho!!! :(

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:38 pm

cr0zzb0w wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:40 pm
was thinking that! I know that the ñuñoa shelter takes in volunteers! could be an option! wish there was a dog cafe tho!!! :(
PM'd you a contact who volunteers in a shelter and can help you to organize a trip there.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:49 pm

cr0zzb0w wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:13 pm
Hi.. I know this is a dumb post, but here it goes anyway..

I am aware of at least one cat cafe in Santiago, where cat lovers can hang out with the felines that they love, and socialize.

My question is, is there a dog cafe or any place where a dog lover can hang out with a lot of dogs. The reason I am asking is, I have a dear friend who is severely depressed and undergoing some tough times, who is a hardcore dog lover. Her job and the fact that she lives in a small place and thus unable to have a dog on her own.

I do acknowledge the stupidity of this post, but if someone knows of a place or a dog show, or a place where one can interact with some dogs, please share!!

cheers!
We used to rent dogs out by the half hour at the park I worked at in Japan, for the same reasons , theraputical, destress etc especially for those that lived in appartnments too small and were too busy with work. People laughed when I told them that in Chile, they jokingly said maybe there's an export opportunity there, export street dogs from Chile to Japan. Lol, seriously though we are looking at setting up goat therapy in the south, doesn't really help your friend though I guess. We are looking at programmes through the muni, for the elderly and people with disabilities so they can interact with goats and especially their kids.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Not dumb. Very pro-dog around here.

I don't know, I have rarely seen a side walk cafe in Chile that did not come with the obligatory resident street dog hanging around. Kind of like all the copecs, airports, hospitals, all come with a group of resident street dogs. Most of them seem to be fairly well taken care of too. They are not just raggedy mutts, but like have collars now, someone stops and feeds them. Seen a guy at the Puerto Montt hospital the other day, that was feeding the hospital dogs, they had collars, and he was brushing them. I was having a bad day, and one came up, rolled over, pawed my foot, and insisted I play with him. So I did. He made me laugh. Guess he earned his pay-check.

You might also try checking out some of the parks. A lot of parks typically have this mix of local dog owners, with local street dogs that are sort of semi-part of the pack or the neighbourhood, and are taken care of by the local residents on a sort of informal basis.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Speaking of the elderly: I learned from my friend who has a grandma with Alzheimer's in Puerto Montt that there is only a single public nursing home available, with a capacity of 15 (fifteen!) persons. And there are not many private nursing homes (at least in the south) because people tend to drop their old relatives there and then stop paying.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 pm
Speaking of the elderly: I learned from my friend who has a grandma with Alzheimer's in Puerto Montt that there is only a single public nursing home available, with a capacity of 15 (fifteen!) persons. And there are not many private nursing homes (at least in the south) because people tend to drop their old relatives there and then stop paying.
I've heard that too, it would be a good business, but also a real pain in the backside, it would require a lot of people management and organisation, but there is a definite demand in the south alright, resthomes are virtually non existant, and the ones that exist are pretty crap, artisanal type in the back of someone's house. They are building a big new 5 story one in Puerto Varas, 1,000,000 pesos per month. They must have solved the issue of non payers and being stuck with the old relatives.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 pm
They must have solved the issue of non payers and being stuck with the old relatives.
I guess it's not easy to disappear for people who can send their grandma to retire in Puerto Varas.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 pm
They must have solved the issue of non payers and being stuck with the old relatives.
I guess it's not easy to disappear for people who can send their grandma to retire in Puerto Varas.
Good point, although I don't think 1 million a month is that steep in Puerto Varas (wonder what it covers), maybe that's a rumor, maybe it's more, just rent in an appartment plus gastos in PV would be around 6 or 700 thousand.
Theres actually one less old folks home now in the south, one burnt down in Ancud Chiloe last night in a big fire, fortunately noinjuries, but 20 odd people no longer have a home. (Edit , sorry wasn't an old folks home, but there was a hostel, and a women's shelter for victims of domestic violence, and couple other buildings)