Gastro Medical Help For Friend in Chile With Fonasa

General topics related to Living in Chile
lost gringo

Re: Gastro Medical Help For Friend in Chile With Fonasa

Post by lost gringo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Sorry for your loss Charles. I've had two best friends pass recently, it's hard to lose close friends.
Any recommendations for a provider of private insurance in Chile?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:56 pm

my wife and i right now have a private unbrella insurance similar to our friend. we have a couple riders on that for a private room (we are sick, we don't want to share or have to deal with visiting hours). we also have ambulance service. a few other bells and whistles. it has a fairly sizable deduction for doctors visits. it is ironically cheaper for us to spend the night in the hospital, than just go to the emergency room; however, it does cut the premium down. think i pay like 15,000 pesos for just ho hum doctor visits, out of pocket.

we have a secondary semi-catastrophic (separate from the national catastrophic), with a different insurance company, that covers anything the first might not cover. it is like insurance, on any holes in our insurance policy we might have missed.

we also have a direct insurance plan with Endsa clinic in Santiago. we can get any medical services they offer in santiago under it. ingrown toenails to open heart surgery is covered. We did that because it is next to our office in santiago (like a block away). we figure if one of us is in the hospital in santiago, it will be there. That way the other can still work, yet be near the one in the hospital.

we also have small insurance policy that pays us cash for the days we are in the hospital through our bank. not much, but helps offset the costs of just being sick.

probably overkill, but our figuring is we are getting older, and better to error on the side of way too much insurance. my wife likes to collect insurance policies for sport.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:58 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:52 pm
Sorry for your loss Charles. I've had two best friends pass recently, it's hard to lose close friends.
just out of an abundance of superstitious caution, i really would not want to recommend a particular company. they would probably turn to crap as soon as I did.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the information my friend has a colonoscopy setup for a couple weeks and it looks like it cost out of pocket about 16-25 thousand pesos depending on the clinic.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:41 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:22 pm
Thanks everyone for the information my friend has a colonoscopy setup for a couple weeks and it looks like it cost out of pocket about 16-25 thousand pesos depending on the clinic.
I have read, ALWAYS schedule the colonoscopy in the morning or the first of the day (accurate diagnosis somehow seems to be better) and ALWAYS ask the method of sterilization of the tools (I do urge you to look this up yourself why this is outside the gross factor).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:31 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:58 pm
lost gringo wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:52 pm
just out of an abundance of superstitious caution, i really would not want to recommend a particular company. they would probably turn to crap as soon as I did.
here is one recommendation, never, ever contract insurance in chile with any company owned by an American insurance company. I simply would never trust them to not try to implement the same 'screw your customer' attitude and look for ways to do end-run around chile's laws and insurance regulations to weasel out of paying. American insurance companies have turned it in to a high art.

https://www.latercera.com/pulso-trader/ ... os/797866/

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:41 pm

There is a reason why Metlife no longer sells most of their products in the US. :wink:

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:57 pm

For those on Fonasa, besides Plan AUGE, there is PAD for non-AUGE stuff which lists a specific set of procedures that a Fonasa rep will price out all-in in advance depending on the procedure/s.

https://www.gob.cl/noticias/pad-fonasa- ... to-medico/
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am

little update on the medical bill story of my friend that died.

so we go to get the final medical bill from the insurance company.

the total bill, not covered by insurance, was 3 million pesos. not bad.

The insurance agent, same lady that helped activate the catastrophic coverage, took one look at it and said, "that is not right".

she said that should be covered by the catastrophic too, as everything else was already covered. she sent it back up the chain of the insurance company to recalculate the total.

very nice to have an insurance rep that is actually doing something for the client.

minus this little hiccup, the bill to date is still ZERO for everything; and it looks like that 3 million must be covered by the company too.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:10 pm

we were telling the story to a friend in the states that is fairly well off and has "good" insurance by American standards. he said, "I would be calling bankruptsy attorneys not the insurance company, if i had to pay something like that".

passport

Post by passport » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 pm

One important aspect of the American health care system deserves mention. In the last decade or so, the insurance providers have incentivized preventative medicine and healthy lifestyles. This is accomplished by providing education on habits, encouraging clients to know their numbers (body mass index, blood pressure, cholesterol, Hemoglobin A1C, etc -AND know what the acceptable ranges are) premium rebates/penalties (for smoking, for instance), no-or-low fee preventative services like bone density evaluation and colonoscopies, annual physicals, pregnancy well-care visits,teeth cleaning and more. This in no way defends the pricing of health care in the States but it does demonstrate how the people can be incentivized into taking responsibility for themselves. As a pharmacist, it was amazing to see how patients with high cholesterol would just take a Lipitor <SPAM WORD> and consider that permission to keep on eating their liver, bacon and eggs - et cetera. So, despite the incentives, lots of people were not buying in...but there is a gradually increasing awareness.

We have seen people gaming the system by running up expenses on medical trivialities in order to get over the catastrophic coverage line.

The catastrophic expense pool described by Charles seems like a good way of spreading risk and insuring against the unlikely. The fact that there is such a big surplus in the pool, while premiums remain low, indicates what everybody already knows -there is something really wrong with the American system. For sure it involves the profit motive and government involvement in the health care market. The government-industry revolving door, the securitization of the health care industry fosters higher prices. Easy credit and unlimited money printing disconnect the market from true price discovery as players have less skin in the game. Wellness incentivization is a step in the right direction.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm

that was one point I seen in article recently that sets the u.s. apart is pricing. except for i think two states, the medical industry can play hide and go seek with the pricing. countries that make their pricing transparent have lower overall health costs.
passport wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 pm
One important aspect of the American health care system deserves mention. In the last decade or so, the insurance providers have incentivized preventative medicine and healthy lifestyles. This is accomplished by providing education on habits, encouraging clients to know their numbers (body mass index, blood pressure, cholesterol, Hemoglobin A1C, etc -AND know what the acceptable ranges are) premium rebates/penalties (for smoking, for instance), no-or-low fee preventative services like bone density evaluation and colonoscopies, annual physicals, pregnancy well-care visits,teeth cleaning and more. This in no way defends the pricing of health care in the States but it does demonstrate how the people can be incentivized into taking responsibility for themselves. As a pharmacist, it was amazing to see how patients with high cholesterol would just take a Lipitor <SPAM WORD> and consider that permission to keep on eating their liver, bacon and eggs - et cetera. So, despite the incentives, lots of people were not buying in...but there is a gradually increasing awareness.

We have seen people gaming the system by running up expenses on medical trivialities in order to get over the catastrophic coverage line.

The catastrophic expense pool described by Charles seems like a good way of spreading risk and insuring against the unlikely. The fact that there is such a big surplus in the pool, while premiums remain low, indicates what everybody already knows -there is something really wrong with the American system. For sure it involves the profit motive and government involvement in the health care market. The government-industry revolving door, the securitization of the health care industry fosters higher prices. Easy credit and unlimited money printing disconnect the market from true price discovery as players have less skin in the game. Wellness incentivization is a step in the right direction.