eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:53 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:24 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:19 am
If Big Internet is a problem, then buy a flip phone geared to the grandpa crowd (like the tiny Alcatel). Much cheaper than a smartphone and you still get your 3rd key calls, etc.
If I start with one of those basic phones for old people, should 2g be ok? Do networks here always support 2g? Or would I be better off with a 3g phone, even if I only care about voice and maybe SMS text messages?
All the current crop of Chile ones AFAIK are both 2G and 3G.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:51 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:38 am
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
If Big Internet is a problem, then buy a flip phone geared to the grandpa crowd (like the tiny Alcatel). Much cheaper than a smartphone and you still get your 3rd key calls, etc.

You're probably familiar with the "boiling frog" story (let me know if you aren't, and I'll find a link). When it comes to cell phones, I'm like a frog who hasn't been sitting in the pot of water, while it's slowly being heated up.
The boiling frog metaphor is actually a myth the frog doesn't slowly boil to death , as it happens it jumps out.
how many times did you try?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:39 am
Me neither. Or Facebook. Or LinkedIn. Or WhatsApp. Or any of the other crap that keeps people compulsively fumbling with their phones all the time.
I spend way too much time on my laptop already, so the last thing I need is to have it with me everywhere I go, sending my coordinates to some spy agency for God knows what reason.

So I went to the mall, and tried getting a geezer phone, but I couldn't find one at Paris or Falabella. And I didn't have much time to look around, so I got a <BANNED WORD> 1 smartphone. I think it's the cheapest one they had. And I finally got it set up, and I can call it from skype. So now I have to figure out how to keep it from spying on me. I taped over the cameras (it has 2). The next step is making an aluminum foil box for it (i think that'll work), so it can't turn itself on. I should have some left over from my hat.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Me neither. Or Facebook. Or LinkedIn. Or WhatsApp. Or any of the other crap that keeps people compulsively fumbling with their phones all the time.
I spend way too much time on my laptop already, so the last thing I need is to have it with me everywhere I go, sending my coordinates to some spy agency for God knows what reason.

So I went to the mall, and tried getting a geezer phone, but I couldn't find one at Paris or Falabella. And I didn't have much time to look around, so I got a <BANNED WORD> 1 smartphone. I think it's the cheapest one they had. And I finally got it set up, and I can call it from skype. So now I have to figure out how to keep it from spying on me. I taped over the cameras (it has 2). The next step is making an aluminum foil box for it (i think that'll work), so it can't turn itself on. I should have some left over from my hat.
I tried to use proton mail, I tried to use duckduckgo after reading all about Google , indeed all the major tech companies . Then in the end I ended up swallowing the blue pil and went back to using their services and them using me.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:15 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:53 pm
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:24 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
If I start with one of those basic phones for old people, should 2g be ok? Do networks here always support 2g? Or would I be better off with a 3g phone, even if I only care about voice and maybe SMS text messages?
All the current crop of Chile ones AFAIK are both 2G and 3G.
This won't be a problem for me now, since I finally got one that says it works with 2,3,4g. But some of the phones I saw online seemed to be 2g-only. They probably aren't considered "current" though, and may not work for much longer.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:19 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:12 pm
fraggle092 wrote:

I tried to use proton mail, I tried to use duckduckgo after reading all about Google , indeed all the major tech companies . Then in the end I ended up swallowing the blue pil and went back to using their services and them using me.
At least they can't read your mind (although they are trying). The best thing I can think of, is to minimize the amount of useful information you give them.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:32 am

...The next step is making an aluminum foil box for it (i think that'll work), so it can't turn itself on. I should have some left over from my hat.
:)
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 am
As for charging with prepaid. You can keep it active by "receiving" an incoming call via say Skype at least once every 90 days and only charge it (Movistar needs 500 pesos minimum) when really needed. Each charge lasts for 30 days but is cumulative if you do not use it all and then charge it again in the future.
My <BANNED WORD> phone came with an Entel chip with this listed on the box:
* $5.000 de carga inicial
* 40 minutos todo destino
* 40 SMS todo destino
* 400 MB internet movil
Vigencia de 30 dias

Are any of these wrong?
* The minutes, SMS, and MB's will expire in 30 days, but I'll probably get the unexpired back if/when I do a recharge
* The minutes only get used up with outgoing calls, not incoming
* SMS's get used up by any outgoing SMS, even if it's a reply to someone else's. But incoming SMS's don't count.
* I can continue receiving phone calls "forever", without recharging, if someone calls my phone periodically (maybe once a month, or every few months at least). So I really don't need to pay anything else, if I only want to receive calls.
* I can always use another prepaid SIM from Entel, Claro, WOM, etc., in this phone, even though it doesn't say it's "liberated". I'd probably get a new phone # though, that I'd have to set up with the bank for receiving 3rd keys.

My main concern is that I don't lose the ability to receive calls from the bank. Recharging is cheap enough, but I'll probably forget to do it. Thanks.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pm
Are any of these wrong?
* The minutes, SMS, and MB's will expire in 30 days, but I'll probably get the unexpired back if/when I do a recharge
* SMS's get used up by any outgoing SMS, even if it's a reply to someone else's. But incoming SMS's don't count.
* I can continue receiving phone calls "forever", without recharging, if someone calls my phone periodically (maybe once a month, or every few months at least). So I really don't need to pay anything else, if I only want to receive calls.
* I can always use another prepaid SIM from Entel, Claro, WOM, etc., in this phone, even though it doesn't say it's "liberated". I'd probably get a new phone # though, that I'd have to set up with the bank for receiving 3rd keys.

My main concern is that I don't lose the ability to receive calls from the bank. Recharging is cheap enough, but I'll probably forget to do it. Thanks.
Set a recurring calendar reminder in Outlook or whatever calendar you use and a link to RecargaFacil. Very easy to load up a luka now that you can make instant transfers from your CuentaRut!
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 am
As for charging with prepaid. You can keep it active by "receiving" an incoming call via say Skype at least once every 90 days and only charge it (Movistar needs 500 pesos minimum) when really needed. Each charge lasts for 30 days but is cumulative if you do not use it all and then charge it again in the future.
My <BANNED WORD> phone came with an Entel chip with this listed on the box:
* $5.000 de carga inicial
* 40 minutos todo destino
* 40 SMS todo destino
* 400 MB internet movil
Vigencia de 30 dias

Are any of these wrong?

Need to clarify, any promotional initial credits probably do expire and disappear if not used, the charge that does not expire is pure phone credit that you purchase that is then used to buy data bolsas. The data bolsas do expire and disappear but the phone credit for voice and SMS carryover on the next recharge (with Movistar anyways). Like I said before, no credit needed to receive calls and you must take 1 incoming call every 90 days to keep the number active, so set your calendar to do it every so often.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:49 am

snobrd4life wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am
Are any of these wrong?

Set a recurring calendar reminder in Outlook or whatever calendar you use and a link to RecargaFacil. Very easy to load up a luka now that you can make instant transfers from your CuentaRut!
I really do need to set up some kind of reminder. I tried some software once that my old boss liked, but I think a text file is good enough. Or just pen and paper.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:07 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 am
Need to clarify, any promotional initial credits probably do expire and disappear if not used, the charge that does not expire is pure phone credit that you purchase that is then used to buy data bolsas. The data bolsas do expire and disappear but the phone credit for voice and SMS carryover on the next recharge (with Movistar anyways).
That sounds like what I was reading on Entel's website. I have to translate with google, so it's not always easy to understand the details. But I think it said something about needing to do at least 1 3000 peso recharge, which isn't a big deal. I'm still wondering if I can use a non-Entel SIM though. But if I can get by with an ocassional 1000-3000 peso recharge, and still receive incoming calls when I forget, that should be good enough.

One thing I'm still not sure of, is if I'll get charged for incoming calls and SMS's. If that's the case, like it seems to be in some other countries, I don't think I'll be using this phone for anything besides banking.