cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:19 am

I write this:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 am
You're probably familiar with the "boiling frog" story (let me know if you aren't, and I'll find a link). When it comes to cell phones, I'm like a frog who hasn't been sitting in the pot of water, while it's slowly being heated up.
Then a few minutes later, I just happen to see this on zerohedge:
"The Rise Of The American Gestapo"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... an-gestapo
* voice fears about Big Brother or big government
...
Instead, the American people have been given the boiling frog treatment, immersed in water that slowly is heated up—degree by degree—so that they’ve fail to notice that they’re being trapped and cooked and killed.
Creepy?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7513
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:26 am

Dude, remember you live in country with a biometric ID for all citizens, where that ID number is used for EVERYTHING. Then you are a citizen of the EMPIRE that has mandated your current residence country have generous INFO SHARING because of the VISA WAIVER PROGRAM not to mention the technically non-ratified in the US Congress TAXATION TREATY that allows for sharing of info between the tax authorities of both countries.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1549
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:55 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:26 am
Dude, remember you live in country with a biometric ID for all citizens, where that ID number is used for EVERYTHING.
And part of the sim activation process involves entering a RUT number.....
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:26 am
With Android, use a separate totally locked down Google account and all will be (relatively) well.
Google wants to know all about you so that they can sell you stuff, that tip about using a separate Gmail account is a good one.

Anyway, if that worries you, keep the phone in Airplane mode, and the wifi switched off, the battery lasts longer that way as well. Or pull out the sim....sort of defeats the object though :)

And the PDI can, and do monitor cellphone conversations, thats how they got evidence against those crooked judges in Rancagua recently. They are supposed to get a warrant to do it though. Stopping here as I detect a drift into Black Helicopter land...
Après moi, le déluge

lost gringo
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: South Park, Patagonia

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by lost gringo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:15 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 am

As for charging with prepaid. You can keep it active by "receiving" an incoming call via say Skype at least once every 90 days and only charge it (Movistar needs 500 pesos minimum) when really needed. Each charge lasts for 30 days but is cumulative if you do not use it all and then charge it again in the future.
Entel is the same, your unused "expired" minutes come back the next time you buy more minutes.
As for WhatsApp, there is an alternative called Signal.

Works the same way but was started and is run by a privacy freak. It's encrypted and they collect no data. Only caveat is the people you call with it have to have the Signal app and not very may people have it but if you only call a few people, you can ask them to install it.
https://signal.org/.

If you use Brave browser with DuckDuckgo search engine it will auto block ads, popups and does not track you https://brave.com/ , disable as much of the Google stuff on your Android phone as possible, use Proton mail for email client https://protonmail.com/ and use Signal for wifi calls and texts, you will be Zuckerberg free. Use a burner Google account for the phone and give them minimal personal info....i.e. none. you will be under the radar as much as possible.
Works great for me.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:30 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:19 am
I write this:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 am
You're probably familiar with the "boiling frog" story (let me know if you aren't, and I'll find a link). When it comes to cell phones, I'm like a frog who hasn't been sitting in the pot of water, while it's slowly being heated up.
Then a few minutes later, I just happen to see this on zerohedge:
"The Rise Of The American Gestapo"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... an-gestapo
* voice fears about Big Brother or big government
...
Instead, the American people have been given the boiling frog treatment, immersed in water that slowly is heated up—degree by degree—so that they’ve fail to notice that they’re being trapped and cooked and killed.
Creepy?
Did you write it and see that on Chrome? Bingo.

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:57 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:26 am
Dude, remember you live in country with a biometric ID for all citizens, where that ID number is used for EVERYTHING. Then you are a citizen of the EMPIRE that has mandated your current residence country have generous INFO SHARING because of the VISA WAIVER PROGRAM not to mention the technically non-ratified in the US Congress TAXATION TREATY that allows for sharing of info between the tax authorities of both countries.
I know. I assume the empire has access to everything. China probably does too. Whoever builds the hardware, probably knows how to exploit it.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:05 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:55 am
Google wants to know all about you so that they can sell you stuff, that tip about using a separate Gmail account is a good one.
With companies like google, you're both the customer and the product
fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:55 am
Stopping here as I detect a drift into Black Helicopter land...
I can hear them circling now:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:14 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:15 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 am

As for charging with prepaid. You can keep it active by "receiving" an incoming call via say Skype at least once every 90 days and only charge it (Movistar needs 500 pesos minimum) when really needed. Each charge lasts for 30 days but is cumulative if you do not use it all and then charge it again in the future.
Entel is the same, your unused "expired" minutes come back the next time you buy more minutes.
As for WhatsApp, there is an alternative called Signal.

Works the same way but was started and is run by a privacy freak. It's encrypted and they collect no data. Only caveat is the people you call with it have to have the Signal app and not very may people have it but if you only call a few people, you can ask them to install it.
https://signal.org/.

If you use Brave browser with DuckDuckgo search engine it will auto block ads, popups and does not track you https://brave.com/ , disable as much of the Google stuff on your Android phone as possible, use Proton mail for email client https://protonmail.com/ and use Signal for wifi calls and texts, you will be Zuckerberg free. Use a burner Google account for the phone and give them minimal personal info....i.e. none. you will be under the radar as much as possible.
Works great for me.
Hopefully those alternatives are really what they claim to be. You can never know for sure, but at least there's a chance.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:44 pm

at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:30 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:19 am
I write this:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 am
You're probably familiar with the "boiling frog" story (let me know if you aren't, and I'll find a link). When it comes to cell phones, I'm like a frog who hasn't been sitting in the pot of water, while it's slowly being heated up.
Then a few minutes later, I just happen to see this on zerohedge:
"The Rise Of The American Gestapo"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... an-gestapo
* voice fears about Big Brother or big government
...
Instead, the American people have been given the boiling frog treatment, immersed in water that slowly is heated up—degree by degree—so that they’ve fail to notice that they’re being trapped and cooked and killed.
Creepy?
Did you write it and see that on Chrome? Bingo.
I was using another well-known browser. None of them are safe.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:24 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:19 am
If Big Internet is a problem, then buy a flip phone geared to the grandpa crowd (like the tiny Alcatel). Much cheaper than a smartphone and you still get your 3rd key calls, etc.
If I start with one of those basic phones for old people, should 2g be ok? Do networks here always support 2g? Or would I be better off with a 3g phone, even if I only care about voice and maybe SMS text messages?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by 41southchile » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:38 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:19 am
If Big Internet is a problem, then buy a flip phone geared to the grandpa crowd (like the tiny Alcatel). Much cheaper than a smartphone and you still get your 3rd key calls, etc.

You're probably familiar with the "boiling frog" story (let me know if you aren't, and I'll find a link). When it comes to cell phones, I'm like a frog who hasn't been sitting in the pot of water, while it's slowly being heated up.
The boiling frog metaphor is actually a myth the frog doesn't slowly boil to death , as it happens it jumps out.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1549
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:39 am

Shock, horror! How do they manage?? :)
.
'I don't own a smartphone' - EU's Juncker.jpg
.
Me neither. Or Facebook. Or LinkedIn. Or WhatsApp. Or any of the other crap that keeps people compulsively fumbling with their phones all the time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40459504
Après moi, le déluge

Post Reply