cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:32 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 am
You don't have to charge it every month if all you are going to use it for is to receive your 3rd key call and use WhatsApp.
Does the prepaid SIM allow you to receive calls (like for a 3rd key), but just not make any calls, after it expires? Or can you only receive calls through WhatsApp/facebook after it expires? I'm looking over the "bolsa prepago"s, and prepaid SIMs (or are they the same thing?), but they all seem to expire after a month or less.

edit: Is it just the minutes that expire after a month, and are those minutes only for outgoing calls? And does your phone # continue to function longer, but only for incoming calls?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:43 am

So I just checked, and the beer store sells different prepaid SIMs. So now the main thing is finding the right phone. I think I need a "liberated" phone, and it'll probably be running android. But is there anything else I should know, like things to avoid, or things that are really important to have? I don't plan to do much with this phone right now, but that could change. Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:00 am

Dude, any new Chile phone sold will work with all Chile providers so that is not an issue. WhatsApp BTW works based on your cell number and is not linked to a Facebook account. With Android, use a separate totally locked down Google account and all will be (relatively) well.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:10 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:00 am
Dude, any new Chile phones sold will work with all Chile providers so that is not an issue. WhatsApp BTW works based on your cell number and is not linked to a Facebook account. With Android, use a separate totally locked down Google account and all will be (relatively) well.
Thanks, I'm new to this cell phone (personal surveilance device) thing. One reason I've been trying to avoid it, is because it seems too much like "big brother" to me. These "phones" have an awful lot of computing power :shock:

I think WhatsApp is owned by facebook, so it's all the same afaik. I even remember seeing an article where one of the guys who started WhatsApp, and sold it to facebook, was warning people about facebook. I assume he couldn't warn people about WhatsApp, for legal reasons.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:13 am

As for online phone maintenance access, Entel is the best followed by Movistar.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:18 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:13 am
Do you mean account maintenance, or do they also do updates for phone software?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:19 am

If Big Internet is a problem, then buy a flip phone geared to the grandpa crowd (like the tiny Alcatel). Much cheaper than a smartphone and you still get your 3rd key calls, etc.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:21 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:18 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
I'm talking about the ease of controlling all aspects of your SIM online.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:19 am
If Big Internet is a problem, then buy a flip phone geared to the grandpa crowd (like the tiny Alcatel). Much cheaper than a smartphone and you still get your 3rd key calls, etc.
Like this one:
https://us.alcatelmobile.com/alcatel-go-flip/
?

I'm mainly trying to avoid monthly subscription costs, since I don't plan to use it much. The cost of the phone isn't a problem.

You're probably familiar with the "boiling frog" story (let me know if you aren't, and I'll find a link). When it comes to cell phones, I'm like a frog who hasn't been sitting in the pot of water, while it's slowly being heated up.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:43 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:21 am
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:18 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
I'm talking about the ease of controlling all aspects of your SIM online.
Is there more to it than account maintenance? I don't know much about SIMs, except they're used to identify to the phone.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 am

Don't stress it, just go to the local Lider and either buy an Alcatel or other dumbphone or a low end Huawei smartphone. You can always switch the carrier of the SIM latter if you need to. If a smartphone, create a totally locked down Google account for it. Simple.

As for charging with prepaid. You can keep it active by "receiving" an incoming call via say Skype at least once every 90 days and only charge it (Movistar needs 500 pesos minimum) when really needed. Each charge lasts for 30 days but is cumulative if you do not use it all and then charge it again in the future.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:08 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 am
Don't stress it, just go to the local Lider and either buy an Alcatel or other dumbphone or a low end Huawei smartphone. You can always switch the carrier of the SIM latter if you need to. If a smartphone, create a totally locked down Google account for it. Simple.

As for charging with prepaid. You can keep it active by "receiving" an incoming call via say Skype at least once every 90 days and only charge it (Movistar needs 500 pesos minimum) when really needed. Each charge lasts for 30 days but is cumulative if you do not use it all and then charge it again in the future.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll plan to pick up a phone in the next few days. A dumbphone might be simpler, but a smartphone could be more useful. Neither one seems expensive.