cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

General topics related to Living in Chile
snobrd4life

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by snobrd4life » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am

Incoming texts and calls are free. Cheap friends and family used to ring me and then hang up before I would answer so that I would call them back and have to spend my minutes to figure out what they wanted.

In any case, credit is consumed in fractions of a minute, not an entire minute for a 5 second call.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:12 am

And yes, you can change the SIM as all Chile providers must work on any device sold by a licensed taxed Chile entity. There is even a process to switch carriers and keep the same number.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:18 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am
Incoming texts and calls are free. Cheap friends and family used to ring me and then hang up before I would answer so that I would call them back and have to spend my minutes to figure out what they wanted.
Thanks. I have an unlimited skype account, so I use that to call people back. Except I still have to pay extra for calling a Chilean cell phone, and I think the per minute cost is about the same as my prepaid Entel cost. I don't remember paying extra for calling US cell phones though.
snobrd4life wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am
In any case, credit is consumed in fractions of a minute, not an entire minute for a 5 second call.
That's good. I hadn't thought about that yet.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:25 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:12 am
And yes, you can change the SIM as all Chile providers must work on any device sold by a licensed taxed Chile entity. There is even a process to switch carriers and keep the same number.
So "liberado" just means the phone doesn't come with a prepaid card attached. It doesn't mean a non-liberado phone's been programmed to only work with 1 carrier. And that's cool I can keep my same phone number. Mine's pretty easy for me to remember, so I don't want to lose it.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Liberado is supposed to mean unlocked this can range from a minimum that it will work with all Chile providers to being completely unlocked and usable in all countries without needing additional hacks.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:04 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:34 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm
Do those prepaid SIMs have a time limit, or are they good "forever" until you use up your minutes?
All prepaid cards are "use it or lose it" unfortunately. I just stick the odd $1.000 on mine when I remember.
Not all, you can create an account with Virgin Mobile and register your number. Then if you lose your phone, you can buy a new SIM from them and transfer the number online (but don't put the new SIM into a phone until you are done or you'll receive a new number).