cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

General topics related to Living in Chile
snobrd4life

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by snobrd4life » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am

Incoming texts and calls are free. Cheap friends and family used to ring me and then hang up before I would answer so that I would call them back and have to spend my minutes to figure out what they wanted.

In any case, credit is consumed in fractions of a minute, not an entire minute for a 5 second call.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:12 am

And yes, you can change the SIM as all Chile providers must work on any device sold by a licensed taxed Chile entity. There is even a process to switch carriers and keep the same number.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:18 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am
Incoming texts and calls are free. Cheap friends and family used to ring me and then hang up before I would answer so that I would call them back and have to spend my minutes to figure out what they wanted.
Thanks. I have an unlimited skype account, so I use that to call people back. Except I still have to pay extra for calling a Chilean cell phone, and I think the per minute cost is about the same as my prepaid Entel cost. I don't remember paying extra for calling US cell phones though.
snobrd4life wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am
In any case, credit is consumed in fractions of a minute, not an entire minute for a 5 second call.
That's good. I hadn't thought about that yet.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:25 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:12 am
And yes, you can change the SIM as all Chile providers must work on any device sold by a licensed taxed Chile entity. There is even a process to switch carriers and keep the same number.
So "liberado" just means the phone doesn't come with a prepaid card attached. It doesn't mean a non-liberado phone's been programmed to only work with 1 carrier. And that's cool I can keep my same phone number. Mine's pretty easy for me to remember, so I don't want to lose it.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Liberado is supposed to mean unlocked this can range from a minimum that it will work with all Chile providers to being completely unlocked and usable in all countries without needing additional hacks.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:04 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:34 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm
Do those prepaid SIMs have a time limit, or are they good "forever" until you use up your minutes?
All prepaid cards are "use it or lose it" unfortunately. I just stick the odd $1.000 on mine when I remember.
Not all, you can create an account with Virgin Mobile and register your number. Then if you lose your phone, you can buy a new SIM from them and transfer the number online (but don't put the new SIM into a phone until you are done or you'll receive a new number).