problem with Banco Estado's online banking

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 am

I was looking over my transfer history a couple days ago, through the Banco Estado website, and one of them had the wrong name listed as the recipient. The email I got when I did the transfer had the correct name. But the name showing through the website now, is someone I never heard of. Has anyone else had that problem? It's just one transfer that had this problem, but the recipient happens to be someone I was already suspicious isn't who they claim to be. I thought I was just being paranoid, but now I'm not so sure.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8233
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:21 am

Interesting, isn't name supposed to match RUT and bank account? Try running a Google search on the RUT to see if it comes up with the correct name.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:31 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:21 am
Interesting, isn't name supposed to match RUT and bank account? Try running a Google search on the RUT to see if it comes up with the correct name.
The original name and RUT matched. But I only have a partial name and no RUT for the new one.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:37 pm

I'm doing some experimenting with this. I created a Nuevo Destinario through the Banco Estado website, and entered the info for the recipient. Except I entered the wrong account #, and the website accepted it. Then I tried transferring 1000 pesos, but go this message:
Monto supera el saldo maximo permitido para este producto.
The error message was useless, but at least it didn't let me transfer to an incorrect account. I'm still suspicious...
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:37 pm
I'm doing some experimenting with this. I created a Nuevo Destinario through the Banco Estado website, and entered the info for the recipient. Except I entered the wrong account #, and the website accepted it. Then I tried transferring 1000 pesos, but go this message:
Monto supera el saldo maximo permitido para este producto.
The error message was useless, but at least it didn't let me transfer to an incorrect account. I'm still suspicious...
Did you set it up as a "Nuevo Destinatario" from Banco Estado or from a different bank?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:13 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:37 pm
I'm doing some experimenting with this. I created a Nuevo Destinario through the Banco Estado website, and entered the info for the recipient. Except I entered the wrong account #, and the website accepted it. Then I tried transferring 1000 pesos, but go this message:
Monto supera el saldo maximo permitido para este producto.
The error message was useless, but at least it didn't let me transfer to an incorrect account. I'm still suspicious...
Did you set it up as a "Nuevo Destinatario" from Banco Estado or from a different bank?
from Banco Estado... the destination was Banco de Chile
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

adamhos
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by adamhos » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:23 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 am
I was looking over my transfer history a couple days ago, through the Banco Estado website, and one of them had the wrong name listed as the recipient. The email I got when I did the transfer had the correct name. But the name showing through the website now, is someone I never heard of. Has anyone else had that problem? It's just one transfer that had this problem, but the recipient happens to be someone I was already suspicious isn't who they claim to be. I thought I was just being paranoid, but now I'm not so sure.
I had that happen once a couple months ago, as well. Was reviewing the statement and I saw a name I didn't know. After remembering who I sent it to, I contacted them and they said it came through fine. It was also someone I send transfers to regularly, so it wasn't something weird with creating a new recipient or anything.

On the off chance some poor guy is getting his name in all the transfers, it showed up as "TEF A S HECTOR MXXXXXXX" in the statement (I replaced last name with X's myself)

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:23 pm

adamhos wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:23 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 am
I was looking over my transfer history a couple days ago, through the Banco Estado website, and one of them had the wrong name listed as the recipient. The email I got when I did the transfer had the correct name. But the name showing through the website now, is someone I never heard of. Has anyone else had that problem? It's just one transfer that had this problem, but the recipient happens to be someone I was already suspicious isn't who they claim to be. I thought I was just being paranoid, but now I'm not so sure.
I had that happen once a couple months ago, as well. Was reviewing the statement and I saw a name I didn't know. After remembering who I sent it to, I contacted them and they said it came through fine. It was also someone I send transfers to regularly, so it wasn't something weird with creating a new recipient or anything.

On the off chance some poor guy is getting his name in all the transfers, it showed up as "TEF A S HECTOR MXXXXXXX" in the statement (I replaced last name with X's myself)
Mine went thru ok too. It wasn't the same name as yours though.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: problem with Banco Estado's online banking

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 am

I made a deposit, 2 rent payments, and an internet payment today. I think the website is showing the correct balance, or at least it's close. But the transaction info is all wrong. I'm guessing it's just a bug in the code that reports the latest transaction info. Is anyone else seeing problems like this?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Post Reply