Post by 41southchile » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:30 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 pm
41southchile wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 pm
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:10 pm
So I still have the car.

About a half hour ago, 2 guys showed up asking about it. They didn't speak much English, and I don't speak much Spanish. But I think they said they could tow it away. I don't have time right now to go to Registro Civil to deal with all the paperwork, and the earliest I could do it, is probably a couple weeks from now. What's the worst that could happen if I just take the plates off, and let them have it? It'll probably never be driveable again. At least not before I could get the paperwork done. They want it to sleep in. So if they don't take it soon, they'll probably make other sleeping arrangements.
If it was me I'd just do that, take the plates off and let them have it.
That's what I want to do. But my main concern is, what would happen if they took the wheels off, then dumped the car somewhere? The tires are probably 5 or 6 years old, but they've been driven on for less than 50 miles. So maybe they just wanted some new tires? The last time I gave a car away, I got a ticket because it got abandoned in Detroit. I don't want to do that again.
I'd just take the risk, in the very unlikey event anyone from the muni was to ever contact you over it being abandoned just say you sold it and the transfer was in tramite. It's either leave it on your property or give it away and hope the people who take it are responsible, and they dont abandon the whole thing in a ditch if they are only after the tyres. But more likely they will leave it at a backyard mechanic or a gitano who breaks it down even further, they might still get a bit extra plus the tires.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: junking an old car

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:14 am

41southchile wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:30 pm
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 pm
41southchile wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 pm
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:10 pm
So I still have the car.

About a half hour ago, 2 guys showed up asking about it. They didn't speak much English, and I don't speak much Spanish. But I think they said they could tow it away. I don't have time right now to go to Registro Civil to deal with all the paperwork, and the earliest I could do it, is probably a couple weeks from now. What's the worst that could happen if I just take the plates off, and let them have it? It'll probably never be driveable again. At least not before I could get the paperwork done. They want it to sleep in. So if they don't take it soon, they'll probably make other sleeping arrangements.
If it was me I'd just do that, take the plates off and let them have it.
That's what I want to do. But my main concern is, what would happen if they took the wheels off, then dumped the car somewhere? The tires are probably 5 or 6 years old, but they've been driven on for less than 50 miles. So maybe they just wanted some new tires? The last time I gave a car away, I got a ticket because it got abandoned in Detroit. I don't want to do that again.
I'd just take the risk, in the very unlikey event anyone from the muni was to ever contact you over it being abandoned just say you sold it and the transfer was in tramite. It's either leave it on your property or give it away and hope the people who take it are responsible, and they dont abandon the whole thing in a ditch if they are only after the tyres. But more likely they will leave it at a backyard mechanic or a gitano who breaks it down even further, they might still get a bit extra plus the tires.
You're probably right. They said they wanted it to sleep in, because their house burned down. Whether or not that's true (I remember hearing sirens today), they're going to eventually want to dispose of it somewhere. And if they dump it before I can get the paperwork done, it still might be easier for me, assuming the worst case is a fine for having it hauled away.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin