Online Service Taxation

General topics related to Living in Chile
at46

Re: Online Service Taxation

Post by at46 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Santander is also introducing their proprietary payment terminals https://www.eldinamo.cl/actualidad/2019 ... -en-chile/

mem

Post by mem » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:23 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:22 pm
mem wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:49 pm
How would this work for example with Netflix?
Nobody knows yet. Its still being debated in Congress. It would have to be done in a way thay makes evasion difficult.

I guess that the government would probably pass the billing issue back to the ISPs and make them assess and collect the tax. That's how IVA is already collected.

As for VPNs, if a Chinese-type solution was in place, they could just block the standard ports. Then they come and ask you what you are using it for....
Well if you are using port 443/SSL for the VPN port it wont be able to be singled out as a "proxy" it will just look like regular traffic...even google makes you use 443 for searches. I do know that even the China firewall can be gotten through... that's how they learned of the HK protests. It will be interesting how tech savvy this bill will be if it passes

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:48 pm

mem wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Well if you are using port 443/SSL for the VPN port it wont be able to be singled out as a "proxy" it will just look like regular traffic...even google makes you use 443 for searches. I do know that even the China firewall can be gotten through... that's how they learned of the HK protests. It will be interesting how tech savvy this bill will be if it passes
True. But they do know the IP addresses at the other end of the tunnel....there are free and commercial blacklists widely available, I'm sure a state entity would use those.
hide me.jpg
hide me.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 312 times
There are plenty of ways to pass information, but watching movies through a tunnel shows a distinct traffic usage that would stick out like a sore thumb, without even trying to decode the content.

Here's an example of video through a private site-to-site tunnel I recently set up for remote cctv.
status_-traffic-graph-1.jpg
And not forgetting Deep Packet Inspection.
Après moi, le déluge

mem

Post by mem » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Hey fraggle - I have been looking into the chinese fw and how and what works through them. There is a lot to understand and it is too bad for those not technically inclined. Somehow I think chile will not go to the extent of the chinese national fw. Man i hope not

As far as DPI...a fair point and even on an SSL stream on port 443 headers can give away information.

With China they are using bgp to remove IP addresses from the routing table that they blacklist. So there isnt an opportunity to establish any kind of session.
Even still...there are several vpn providers that have gotten around even this by using "obfuscated ip addresses" which appear to be the first hop in a double vpn setup. There were 60 vpn providers tested out of Shenzhen and over a dozen were still able to bypass the great firewall.
Also with DPI there are data scattering plugins that you can use with openvpn or l2tp/ipsec that scramble the datastream so that the traffics headers and profile dont look like a vpn.

Honestly I dont want to have to go down this road, will just have to keep an eye on this bill

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Really, the more you try to obfuscate, the more you stick out. At some stage, its going to be more trouble than its worth, unless there is a very good reason for wanting to hide online activities....its been said so often but its true, there is no privacy on the internet. I don't think that all online activity is monitored as some people seem to think, but I'm pretty sure that unusual activity draws attention.
Après moi, le déluge

PXYC

Post by PXYC » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:15 am

I'm sure Netflix has no interest on facilitating tax evasion, that's a no no for any business, more so if you're financed on a stock overevaluation slash capital raises model. Unless you're Pirate Bay or something (and even those were eventually arrested), all these online service companies will just implement the tax collection policies that each country host demands, so the strategy for any government is just regulate the source.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:53 am

PXYC wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:15 am
I'm sure Netflix has no interest on facilitating tax evasion, that's a no no for any business
Very true. Also, the main reason people use VPNs is to access US-released video content from areas not covered by US Performing Rights agreements, which distributors like Netflix are obliged to honour.

Same thing happened in Europe, where SKY satellite TV channels could be received, but not legally viewed outside the UK. Sky would only switch the decoder card on after verifying a UK address by phoning the subscriber. This mechanism is sometimes circumvented by third parties - for a price.

https://www.satandpcguy.com/sky-tv/sky-cards-spain/
Après moi, le déluge

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:06 am

SII also seems to be chasing "influencers" due to possible tax evasion.

https://www.cnnchile.com/economia/sii-s ... _20190708/
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.