car accident with israeli and Uruguay licences?

General topics related to Living in Chile
proger

car accident with israeli and Uruguay licences?

Post by proger » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:11 pm

I have to go tomrrow to the juzgado " por a dar accident í was involved in.
problem is that my international licncse was out of date, as I didn't have opurtinty to renew it because I was out of israel more than a year(the licence only good for a year).

I want to know if my israeli or Uruguay non international licences have any good as I'm in Chile no more than 4 months...
thanks

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: car accident with israeli and Uruguay licences?

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:48 am

I think my unexpired Michigan license was ok to drive with, when I first got here. But I don't know for sure, or if anything's changed since then.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:27 am

are you a full permanent resident?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

proger

Post by proger » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:08 am

admin wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:27 am
are you a full permanent resident?
my papers are still in the processing stage so I think not

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:57 am

that is really all depend on the court. no one may even ask. but if you have to submit a license i would say start with the uruguay license, then the international license if asked (even expired). really all that international license does is translate a foriegn language license.

one to watch out for the insurance company using it as an excuse to slither out of coverage.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:02 pm

I've had 2 Chileans tell me I don't even need a license. I wouldn't risk driving without one though.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

proger

Post by proger » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:55 pm

the licence of Uruguay was good, served as an international for my luck...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:46 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:02 pm
I've had 2 Chileans tell me I don't even need a license. I wouldn't risk driving without one though.
Yea, Chileans are horrible sources of information about Chile. :lol:

I am pretty sure that the cop that wrote me a ticket and took my license a couple of weeks ago for parking illegally, would have been just happy to tow my car instead if I had not been able to produce my licence.

Irony is I have been parking illegally in the same spot at the airport for about 9+ years, Right in front of the door, sitting in the car, with my blinkers on, waiting for people to arrive, along with hundreds of other drivers that do it every single day. The 50,000 peso fine was still cheaper than if I paid the 1,000 to 2,000 peso parking fee to the overpriced monopoly they have had the Puerto Montt airport. I am there on average about two times a week, and sometimes more.

That said, I seem to go through a full license and renewal cycle with my license never even been looked at. I have even been stopped for various paper checks on the highway, and they have never asked for my license. Other than that one ticket, I think I have had one cop look at my license in Chile. If I never needed to rent a car, no one would ever ask to see it.