Climate changing in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
41southchile

Re: Climate changing in Chile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:30 pm

No water = no mining = no money for Chile

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... neria.html
“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:11 am

Ok I'm going to be brutal, but saw this article https://www.soychile.cl/Santiago/Socied ... equia.aspx
They are collecting grass in las Condes schools and golf clubs to send to campesinos on social media, I get it people feel the need to do something in the face of this devastating drought in a large part of Chile, but, this is bullshit. Just like I saw a photo on WhatsApp the other day of a guy in the hills up north giving a cow that was skin and bones, nearly dead , a two liter bottle of water. (Cows need between 50 and 100 litres per day)
There is no point in prolonging the misery of these animals, any farmer in NZ whenever they know a drought is coming, the first thing you do is cut your losses and sell your animals, the cost of maintaining them is not economically viable, its cheaper to sell and rebuild numbers when conditions improve. It would be cheaper to sell the animals now for what the can get and for government , or citizens to give money directly to campesinos to survive, otherwise it's just cruelty to animals prolonging their suffering, even if it rained for the next week, which coming into summer seems unlikely, the pasture is dead and needs resowing and will be months before they can get feed. Unsurprisingly looks like Lavin is involved in this feel good waste of money and energy "plan"
“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:43 am

Feral goats and free-range Goat farming are environmentally damaging. Quite common In the IV Region, an area where deforestation and desertification are always big issues, but especially now with the current drought.

Anyone who has ever seen a herd of goats come through an area knows what a devastating effect they have on vegetation, they eat everything. But since there is nothing much for them to eat at present, local farmers are asking the government to provide them with forage.

Why is this environmentally damaging activity being encouraged by a government allegedly concerned with Climate Change ?
What should get the priority, the needs of subsistence farmers, or action on Climate Change?

There's no easy answer, especially when you see the people being affected.
Crianceros de Vicuña desolados.jpg
Finalizan entrega de alimentos a ganado afectado por la sequía en la región.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:22 pm

"Megasequía" en Chile: las catastróficas consecuencias de la mayor crisis del agua de los últimos 50 años
Fernanda Paúl
BBC Mundo
https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-amer ... a-49825857

This new story is worth a read.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:04 pm

AFAIK then the Crystal lagoon technology uses very little water. The one in the photo uses salt water from the ocean...

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:49 pm

Britkid wrote:
"Megasequía" en Chile: las catastróficas consecuencias de la mayor crisis del agua de los últimos 50 años
Fernanda Paúl
BBC Mundo
https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-amer ... a-49825857

This new story is worth a read.

De acuerdo con un reciente informe publicado por el Panel Intergubernamental de Cambio Climático (IPCC), la desertificación afecta a 2,7 millones de personas en el mundo
Only 2.7 million affected by desertification around the world? I wonder where exactly she found the '2,7 millones'. I can't download the full report, but that was not the number I have been able to find.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:16 am

Gloria, love your semi-new signature "I sayeth as I seeth."
In prehistoric times aka 60 years ago, baseball umpires used a similar saying.
The phrase comes from a story about an argument between three umpires. The first umpire says, "I calls 'em like I sees 'em." The second one says, "I calls 'em like they was." And the third one says, "They ain't nothin' till I calls 'em." :D
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

mem

Post by mem » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 am

Ok...about Greta.

Just watch this video...it shows her without a script and makes quite clear what is really going on with "Greta"

https://youtu.be/0bwLt_5t73g

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:22 am

That's pretty good lost gringo. Did you watch Houston-NY last night? All I could find was football.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:59 pm

ghibli wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:22 am
That's pretty good lost gringo. Did you watch Houston-NY last night? All I could find was football.
Fox Sports(Direct TV) has the baseball playoffs. and yes I watched. :D
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 pm

mem wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 am
Ok...about Greta.

Just watch this video...it shows her without a script and makes quite clear what is really going on with "Greta"

https://youtu.be/0bwLt_5t73g
Greta is actually pretty smart and knowledgeable about climate change. There are countless videos online of her doing detailed interviews. It proves nothing after hours and hours of that to show 1 time she had to ask someone to repeat a question. It sounded like on the second part she was probably trying to bring in the rest of the panel because she'd had lots of questioned directed at her rather than the others. Not because she couldn't have answered such a simple question.

This is a particularly unfair example of cherry picking.Try finding a video more than 2 minutes long that makes her look bad. I note this video is a taken out of context 2-minute segment.

There are hour long videos of her talking about climate change in non-scripted scenarios if you want to search for them. Just look on youtube.

I've seen her interviewed numerous times and never yet heard her say a single thing wrong about climate change.

The attacks on Greta are the most desperate denialism yet from the right. I mean, think about it. The right wing media which wants to deny climate change would LOVE to post a story about Greta making a factual error or saying something that isn't true. Hasn't happened ONCE yet. So instead they have to talk about her tone of voice, or make up lies.

It's beyond a joke. She speaks the truth.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Speaking of China:
"China’s total planned coal-fired power projects now stand at 226.2 gigawatts (GW), the highest in the world and more than twice the amount of new capacity on the books in India, according to data published by environmental groups on Thursday."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clim ... SKBN1W40HS

Sorry but Greta is a pawn being used to instill fear in gullible, mostly young, people.