Climate changing in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Climate changing in Chile

Post by Britkid » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:22 pm

"Megasequía" en Chile: las catastróficas consecuencias de la mayor crisis del agua de los últimos 50 años
Fernanda Paúl
BBC Mundo
https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-amer ... a-49825857

This new story is worth a read.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:04 pm

AFAIK then the Crystal lagoon technology uses very little water. The one in the photo uses salt water from the ocean...

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:49 pm

Britkid wrote:
"Megasequía" en Chile: las catastróficas consecuencias de la mayor crisis del agua de los últimos 50 años
Fernanda Paúl
BBC Mundo
https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-amer ... a-49825857

This new story is worth a read.

De acuerdo con un reciente informe publicado por el Panel Intergubernamental de Cambio Climático (IPCC), la desertificación afecta a 2,7 millones de personas en el mundo
Only 2.7 million affected by desertification around the world? I wonder where exactly she found the '2,7 millones'. I can't download the full report, but that was not the number I have been able to find.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:16 am

Gloria, love your semi-new signature "I sayeth as I seeth."
In prehistoric times aka 60 years ago, baseball umpires used a similar saying.
The phrase comes from a story about an argument between three umpires. The first umpire says, "I calls 'em like I sees 'em." The second one says, "I calls 'em like they was." And the third one says, "They ain't nothin' till I calls 'em." :D
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

mem

Post by mem » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 am

Ok...about Greta.

Just watch this video...it shows her without a script and makes quite clear what is really going on with "Greta"

https://youtu.be/0bwLt_5t73g

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:22 am

That's pretty good lost gringo. Did you watch Houston-NY last night? All I could find was football.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:59 pm

ghibli wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:22 am
That's pretty good lost gringo. Did you watch Houston-NY last night? All I could find was football.
Fox Sports(Direct TV) has the baseball playoffs. and yes I watched. :D
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 pm

mem wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 am
Ok...about Greta.

Just watch this video...it shows her without a script and makes quite clear what is really going on with "Greta"

https://youtu.be/0bwLt_5t73g
Greta is actually pretty smart and knowledgeable about climate change. There are countless videos online of her doing detailed interviews. It proves nothing after hours and hours of that to show 1 time she had to ask someone to repeat a question. It sounded like on the second part she was probably trying to bring in the rest of the panel because she'd had lots of questioned directed at her rather than the others. Not because she couldn't have answered such a simple question.

This is a particularly unfair example of cherry picking.Try finding a video more than 2 minutes long that makes her look bad. I note this video is a taken out of context 2-minute segment.

There are hour long videos of her talking about climate change in non-scripted scenarios if you want to search for them. Just look on youtube.

I've seen her interviewed numerous times and never yet heard her say a single thing wrong about climate change.

The attacks on Greta are the most desperate denialism yet from the right. I mean, think about it. The right wing media which wants to deny climate change would LOVE to post a story about Greta making a factual error or saying something that isn't true. Hasn't happened ONCE yet. So instead they have to talk about her tone of voice, or make up lies.

It's beyond a joke. She speaks the truth.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Speaking of China:
"China’s total planned coal-fired power projects now stand at 226.2 gigawatts (GW), the highest in the world and more than twice the amount of new capacity on the books in India, according to data published by environmental groups on Thursday."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clim ... SKBN1W40HS

Sorry but Greta is a pawn being used to instill fear in gullible, mostly young, people.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:35 pm

needwaterandpeace wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:44 pm
but the level of pollutants in those countries seems to go far beyond anything that ever happened in the US (not sure about the UK, but probably similar).
Just an FYI, in the great Chicago fire the river caught fire because it was so toxic, in the UK, how about the great smog of London? 4000 dead in a few days. I suggest you maybe look a little more about what went down in history regarding pollution and what happened in the USA and the UK. Fortunately many places in US and UK are now only polluted and not deadly toxic. I dont understand how you can say , goes far beyond what ever happened in the US , that is beyond me tbh the US has possibly been responsible for some of the worst pollution in the history of the world.
Here's another one, this river caught fire 13 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_River
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

GringoVikingo

Post by GringoVikingo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:03 am

needwaterandpeace
Are you talking about Los Angeles in Bio Bio?
I have been in Los Angeles, and for me as an Nordic person it's to hot and dry in the summer.
I know that there is some spot east and around Laja with native forest, and water pockets.
Find a place where you are not sourounded by Eucalyptus.
Eucalyptus is consuming about 10 times more than native forest, and it cause lot of forest fire.
If you find a spot with lot of the native tree called Canelo, there is also lot of water, It's almost a holy tree for the Mapuche.
I don't have any bad experience with the Mapuche, I have one working for me one week, and he learn me a lot about the nature. And compare with others he don't steal anything from me. I have had workers that even steal toiletpaper!
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:53 pm

needwaterandpeace wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 am
41south, that is an interesting link.
Ok, so maybe pollution was bad in the US historically? And this led to an environmental movement? Good! Great! I am all for a clean environment! But the point I was trying to make is that I don't understand why Greta is being pointed at the US and the West, while India and China and Asia get a free pass, if she is so neutral. That is the point I was trying to make.
But to answer your question, I am not sure I've got permission to post hyperlinks yet. Maybe you can connect the parts here?
https:// allthatsinteresting .com /pollution-in-china-photographs
I didnt actually realise she was only pointing the finger at the west while everyone else got a free pass. If that is the case though, maybe its because the US and the west are richer economically and have more knowledge, they are developed, they are freer, they have more resources, they have more experience, they have industrialized already they now need to sort their shit out as they are better placed to be able to find solutions.
No matter what the developing world may say or the politically correct, it's the US and the west that should be leading the changes because they have most of the money and most of the knowledge in this area.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”