Post by fraggle092 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:25 am

Just for a change, a post about Chile.
Pretty tame Video from Reuters:
Uber’s wild drive for growth in Chile.jpg
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Re: Uber in Chile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:50 am

Kind of a bs video article really, the most interesting thing was the Ad for Microsoft AI at the start and what they are doing in agriculture . Very few countries in the world have been able to keep up with new disruptive technological changes and new ways of doing business , other countries cant even (or dont want to ) keep a mass murder being live streamed to the world . When Zuckerberg was up in front of politicos in Washington last year, some of the senators he was in front of had absolutely no idea what he was even talking about and asking the most idiotic questions.
So yeah I fail to see what the point of this video is , what Chile is just one of many many many countries whose laws and regulations have not kept up with technological change ? And being Chile the drivers have come up with some very innovative work arounds in the regulatory vacuum. As they pointed out for about 2 seconds there is regulatory framework being developed but that shit doesn't happen overnight. Nothing to see here just another bs western media outlet looking for a non story , Chile is no different to any other country in the world and the challenges it is facing with new technology
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:10 am

I would not get in an Uber again in Chile with a gun to my head. The one time my wife and I got in an Uber in Santiago, called by a well meaning friend after a party, the asshole drove past the turn to our apartment and looked directly in the mirror at me as he did it. He thought, because we were speaking English between us, we did not know Santiago. When we called him on it, he says sorry, then does it again, pretending he can not find the turn. He did it three times. We finally told him to stop, we got out of the car at hotel, and grabbed a real taxi.

Uber, and similar "ride sharing" assumes a whole rat's nest of common law contract traditions and insurance laws. The taxi in Chile are super over regulated for a very, very good reason. I bet you 3/4ths of the guys driving Uber in Chile have no more than basic insurance (if they have more, probably because their car is owned by a bank or something), and probably half of them have some sort of serious criminal record (you are driving Uber in Chile, you are probably having trouble getting a job for a reason). Something goes wrong, who are you going to sue? The frigen wanker that probably does not even own his own car? Uber in the United States? Good luck with that.

That said, the one we have been using for some time is easy taxi. Works like Uber with app to call a taxi, but with a licensed and regulated taxi at the other end and the transactions are handled by credit card without the need to carry cash. Something goes wrong, there is big fat paper trail to follow to find the guy; and there is real consequences for them to loose their license and franchise.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 am

admin wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:10 am
I would not get in an Uber again in Chile with a gun to my head. The one time my wife and I got in an Uber in Santiago, called by a well meaning friend after a party, the asshole drove past the turn to our apartment and looked directly in the mirror at me as he did it. He thought, because we were speaking English between us, we did not know Santiago. When we called him on it, he says sorry, then does it again, pretending he can not find the turn. He did it three times. We finally told him to stop, we got out of the car at hotel, and grabbed a real taxi.

Uber, and similar "ride sharing" assumes a whole rat's nest of common law contract traditions and insurance laws. The taxi in Chile are super over regulated for a very, very good reason. I bet you 3/4ths of the guys driving Uber in Chile have no more than basic insurance (if they have more, probably because their car is owned by a bank or something), and probably half of them have some sort of serious criminal record (you are driving Uber in Chile, you are probably having trouble getting a job for a reason). Something goes wrong, who are you going to sue? The frigen wanker that probably does not even own his own car? Uber in the United States? Good luck with that.

That said, the one we have been using for some time is easy taxi. Works like Uber with app to call a taxi, but with a licensed and regulated taxi at the other end and the transactions are handled by credit card without the need to carry cash. Something goes wrong, there is big fat paper trail to follow to find the guy; and there is real consequences for them to loose their license and franchise.
Thought we were going to badly crash on an uber trip in Arica last year with my brother in law, they uber guy was a loose unit and I think unstable (or whacked up on coke ) . I pretty much always catch taxis in Santiago, although in saying that a couple of them have seemed like drug dealers too, I did get ripped off once with the old switch a roo of the billete in a taxi I was rushing to airport and concentrating on other things and didn't realise till I got out.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 am

In Valdivia taxists are super nice, always use their meters and never try to circle around. They aren't expensive either, so I can't see the need for apps.

In Santiago we also use EasyTaxi because Uber is a trash company who abuses its drivers and collected customers' data.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 am

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 am
In Valdivia taxists are super nice, always use their meters and never try to circle around. They aren't expensive either, so I can't see the need for apps.

In Santiago we also use EasyTaxi because Uber is a trash company who abuses its drivers and collected customers' data.
Yeah I have heard that from a couple of sources now, Uber is not a transport company in the traditional sense, the whole value of it lies in data collection, the drivers are just a necessary by product that they still need at the moment, doesn't mean the treat them right though. Their whole longterm goal is collecting all that data for when driverless cars come along. The data they are already collecting is massive and will be worth a lot, well it already is, but it is only going to become more valuable as technology changes.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:45 am

I use Uber all the time in Santiago. So far, no problems. I know that they are operating in a gray zone, but they are so much better than the taxis.
No bitching and complaining, newer and more comfortable cars, lower prices, more cars available in outskirts (try getting a taxi in Chicureo or get a taxi to drive you there without fixing a way too high fixed fee first...) etc.
Never had an Uber try to pull a fast one - In taxis on the other hand, happens all the time.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:24 pm

On Venezuelan/Columbian FB groups I see ads for Uber drivers all the time. Someone with a Chilean RUT buys a car and then rents it out to someone else to drive for Uber and other ride sharing companies paying a fixed monthly amount to the owner or the car. I see a lot of Venezuelans among the motorbike food delivery people here in the Fifth Region. One guy I talked to said he came here two month ago, bought himself a bike and is now making 500-600K per month delivering food, while working only 4-6 hours daily.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:58 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 am
Uber is a trash company
Agreed. So many reasons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber#Criticism

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:00 pm

at46 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:24 pm
On Venezuelan/Columbian FB groups I see ads for Uber drivers all the time. Someone with a Chilean RUT buys a car and then rents it out to someone else to drive for Uber and other ride sharing companies paying a fixed monthly amount to the owner or the car. I see a lot of Venezuelans among the motorbike food delivery people here in the Fifth Region. One guy I talked to said he came here two month ago, bought himself a bike and is now making 500-600K per month delivering food, while working only 4-6 hours daily.
I have a hard time believing that considering how saturated the market is. You can go outside and see groups of delivery guys hanging out on every corner.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:05 pm

GAminer wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:00 pm
at46 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:24 pm
I have a hard time believing that considering how saturated the market is. You can go outside and see groups of delivery guys hanging out on every corner.
I'm talking about the Fifth Region. It's exploded here just over the last few months. I haven't noticed any ads for delivery persons lately, but they were everywhere just a short while ago.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:09 pm

I've always used Uber in Chile and we were involved in an accident in 2017. All costs incurred were covered by Uber's insurance, as far as I recall. I'll check on that later today.

I had some crappy drivers in the past, but it's a tough sell for us to use taxis. They always had much crappier cars.