looking to buy land in rural area (1-5 hectares)

General topics related to Living in Chile
proger

Re: looking to buy land in rural area (1-5 hectares)

Post by proger » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:00 pm

cool, nice to know.
I don't know really what is considered to be agriculture for them...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:06 pm

woooooo

I would like to buy some land for 5 million hectare too.

palena, right now, your looking at 20 million a hectare, and in high demand zones that is now more like 20 million per half hectare (e.g. futa).

if you find something under that, it is probably cheap for a very good reason. like, you need to spend 100 million to put a road in to it.

agro land designation for tax purposes realy means nothing other than it is zoned rural and pays lower taxes, than say something in a city zoned urban or comercial.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:13 pm

in fact, if someone called us up and said they found a property in palena for 5 million, and wanted our help completing the purchase, i would red flag the hell out of the deal and look under every last rock for the reason why it is 5 million. there would have to be a very good story to go with it. for example, a cousin offered a deal so you could spend time together or something, and I would still be overly suspicious and cautious in our handling of the purchase.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 pm

i can not even remember the last time we handled a purchase in palena for 5 million a hectare, that did not have total property size of like 100 or more hectares. even with big properties, that is getting hard to do. like 10 or 15 years ago, perhaps. they were not even that common back then.

proger

Post by proger » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:53 pm

thanks for the info, you what/which zone in Chile have this kind prices approx?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:03 pm

proger wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:53 pm
thanks for the info, you what/which zone in Chile have this kind prices approx?
i'm not sure you can even get a piece of dessert anymore for that. even the desert is sitting in top of some mineral or other.

for 25 million, you can find a parcel in the south, perhaps a hectare or two. even then you will spend a lot of hunting to sort out garbage properties from something useable and liviable.

as a rule, i would say on a budget, buy quality over quantity. in the long run, it will save you money.

proger

Post by proger » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:28 pm

maybe it's better in the upper part of los Lagos around Osorno and los rios shoreline area?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:25 pm

proger wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:28 pm
maybe it's better in the upper part of los Lagos around Osorno and los rios shoreline area?
Nope, prices have gone thru the roof.You'll see half hectare for $25 millions.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:02 am

proger wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:28 pm
Los Ríos has a hilly shore with impassable jungle, while (if I remember correctly) you wanted to do some farming. Also, everything close to the shore assumed to be good enough for tourists despite the cold water and very foggy weather (the shore town near Valdivia is literally called "Niebla").

The cheapest "parcelas de agrado" (5000m) far from the cities cost around 12mln here. Anyway, check Yapo frequently and you may find a gem underpriced by 15-20%: sometimes people who don't live in the region sell their land without understanding the price trends in the exact location (for example, they don't know about the road to a parcela getting paved soon). Or a seller may be in a hurry — we bought for a few millions cheaper than average because of this.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:15 am

Saw 20 hectares for sale the other day, 2 million per hectare, it was on the side of a hill (south side, so not a lot of sun) and no road access, only sea, down by hornopiren.
Just so we are clear, There is virtually no cheap rural land in Chile of say 5 hectares available anywhere anymore, that is the reality nowadays.
10 or 15 years ago you might have been able to pick yourself up some 5 hectare plot for 5 million a hectare as that's how it was then.
Now everyone has the internet they know what their land can be sold for by looking at Yapo or whatever, the owners are a lot more aware of what they have.
Santiago speculators, improved connectivity, easier finance, etc etc etc take your pick there are many reasons that have seen land prices increase a lot over the last decade in Chile (although it's the same worldwide too). Might have to reconsider your budget or really lower your expectations on what you are looking for.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 am

perhaps south of Coyhaique you might find something, but you are probably doubling your cost of living and development just being that far out. everything from gas to simply getting to the property will go up pretty seriously.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 am

if you live in a remote area, say anything south of pumalin, your costs of living there is easily double or triple, living say north of pumalin where there is good connectivity.

a few guestimates of additional costs:
a 4x4 vehical , pretty much is not optional. even with say a toyota hilux or similar 4x4, the roads down there will cut the life of the vehical in half. just life in the the campo. you will need a truck to get things to the property. not much delivery.

gas prices are typicaly the highest in the country. last time i was in futa and chaiten, 1000 pesos a liter was the going rate. gas stations are few and far between.

a lot of basic products are shiped in by ferry, so costs of basics go up, if they exist at all.

getting there, add another say 300,000 to even millions of pesos, just going to or from the area.

i got one client down there, the property costs a million pesos in float plane or about 500,000 by boat (after getting to the area) just to visit. when the weather turns, there is no getting to it (or away). with a chartered plane, from futa and chaiten, we have been stuck for 3 or 4 days due to weather when we were only suppose to be there a few hours.

basicaly to live kind of safly and comfortiably in the patagonia, you need deep pockets. never mind the price of property. the goverment spends a lot of money just to provide the most basic services to the area for the poor. in a sense, even the poor in the rural areas are backed by fairly deep pockets with travel subsidies and such.