verifying a landlord or property manager

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

verifying a landlord or property manager

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:25 am

How can you verify that someone has the legal authority to rent out a particular house? I'm looking around for houses to rent, in case I need to move. And some of them are being rented out by the owner, and some by management companies. And one in particular is being rented out by a management company, because (according to the neighbor) the owner is out of the country. I know I can hire a lawyer, and they might eventually get around to it. But I'm hoping there's a way I can do it myself, before someone else rents it. I found this website that helps, if I have the owner's info:
http://www.conservadorcoquimbo.cl/

But I don't think it works for management companies.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Re: verifying a landlord or property manager

Post by admin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 am

ask for a copy of the power of attorney from the mangment company.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:05 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 am
How do you know if it's a forgery? Is there a way to look it up somewhere, so I don't have to rely on a copy the management company gives me? I don't have any particular reason not to trust these people. But they want the initial payment in cash, if my translation of "al contado y en efectivo" is accurate. So there wouldn't even be a bank involved until after the first month.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:05 pm
admin wrote:
How do you know if it's a forgery? Is there a way to look it up somewhere, so I don't have to rely on a copy the management company gives me? I don't have any particular reason not to trust these people. But they want the initial payment in cash, if my translation of "al contado y en efectivo" is accurate. So there wouldn't even be a bank involved until after the first month.
Bottom line is what's your gut feeling about it?

Looking at it from the other side of the frontline - as a landlord - if someone is paranoid trying to get a documented proof for every word I say, I just stop responding to them and move on.

This paranoia might be more of an American thing because I don't normally get stupid requests like that from the Brits, Germans, Austrians, Russians, Canadians or Chileans for that matter.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:31 pm

But they want the initial payment in cash, if my translation of "al contado y en efectivo" is accurate. So there wouldn't even be a bank involved until after the first month.
The translation is accurate. Do not give them cash, if they insist find a different realtor.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 pm
Bottom line is what's your gut feeling about it?
Something's been holding me back, but I'm not exactly sure what yet.
at46 wrote:
Looking at it from the other side of the frontline - as a landlord - if someone is paranoid trying to get a documented proof for every word I say, I just stop responding to them and move on.
I'm trying to avoid looking like that person:) But specifically requiring cash for the first payment, is a big red flag for me. So I did a quick search, and found this:
Avoiding Rental Scams
1. Never dealing in cash
A tenant should never pay a landlord cash for anything. This is especially true for a security deposit and first month’s rent.
https://bc-firm.com/avoiding-rental-scams/
at46 wrote:
This paranoia might be more of an American thing because I don't normally get stupid requests like that from the Brits, Germans, Austrians, Russians, Canadians or Chileans for that matter.
My problem is that I'm used to trusting people, and not having much trouble with it. But then I came to Chile, where it doesn't seem to work too well. So now I'm learning to be paranoid, until I get a better sense for how people are around here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:21 am

admin wrote:
ask the notary where it was signed for an orginal copy.

if you are realy parnoid about it, you would need to trace the whole chain of ownership.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:41 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:21 am

..."ask the notary where it was signed for an orginal copy."
Because a contract is not a public domain, I doubt very much any notary would allow a plain stranger to get a copy.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:49 pm

its a power of attorney for real estate. it has to be public record or it is not valid.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Gloria wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:41 pm
admin wrote:

..."ask the notary where it was signed for an orginal copy."
Because a contract is not a public domain, I doubt very much any notary would allow a plain stranger to get a copy.
It's a copy of the POW, not the contract. The last few times I signed a rental contract at a notary, they told me straight up they're only certifying signature and not going to keep the copy of the contract on file. Maybe it's different with a POW, worth giving it a shot.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:58 pm

admin wrote:
admin wrote:
ask the notary where it was signed for an orginal copy.

if you are realy parnoid about it, you would need to trace the whole chain of ownership.
Thanks, I didn't know I could get an original copy from the notary. I'm only somewhat paranoid in this case. But I'm also wondering if I'd be better off just finding another house, since this lease has a couple other problems too. I think there'll be more houses available next month, since the vacation season will be over.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:08 pm

let me put it this way. someone claims to be authorized to sign anything on behalf of an owner, they better have the verifiable paperwork to back it up. if they blink when asked, move on.

a couple of years ago we had an inheritance case. a guy had a name sufficiently similar to the owner, that he manged to slip his id past a notary to sign a rental contract. it was only discovered, when we were hired by the inheritors to complete the probate and they found people living in the apartment.