Site Admin

Re: record heat in the south of chile

Post by admin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:34 am

papageno wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm
admin wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm
20190204_165932-600x800.jpg
Is your thermometer in the sun? I'm in Puerto Varas, and it's not (quite)THAT hot. But still hotter than Playa del Carmen, where I just returned from... :shock:
that was in the shade. the real killer was lack of any wind. wind finaly picked up in the evening a bit.

this morning nice and cold. at dawn i have a light sweat shirt on.

i think the thing that makes it suck so bad, is that it happens so little here. I use to live in las vegas, and use to rock climb in the summers across the south west U.S.; but, when it is only a few days a year it seems sooo much worse. we basicaly live between 10 to 20 Celsius most of the year.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:20 am

admin wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:40 pm
why heat + humidity is so dangerious, and will get more dangerous:

https://slate.com/technology/2017/12/hu ... change.amp
Thanks for this, this is important information for dealing with high heat and humidity. Since it is so rare here it can be easy to underestimate the risk

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:00 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:43 pm
9th region fires:

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ania.shtml
Apparently, Chile bought two Russian fire fighting aircraft with an option for three more. These things have their work cut out for them. https://es.rbth.com/economia/81641-chil ... bios-rusos

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:12 pm

35 degrees and whining! Every freaking year back home when summer strikes, we have over 40 C with horrible humidity ! Especially in downtown Tokyo concrete jungle, heat trapped during the day carries over throughout the night so when waking up next morning you start the day with high temp already. Older folks do not perceive high temperature heat as younger people so they go to sleep without A/C and found next day dead !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:13 pm

Double posting.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Double post deleted.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:25 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:12 pm
35 degrees and whining! Every freaking year back home when summer strikes, we have over 40 C with horrible humidity ! Especially in downtown Tokyo concrete jungle, heat trapped during the day carries over throughout the night so when waking up next morning you start the day with high temp already. Older folks do not perceive high temperature heat as younger people so they go to sleep without A/C and found next day dead !
It's when you're acclimated to either heat or cold that makes it really hard to switch from one to the other.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:35 am

I have lived in climates above 40 c and below -40 c, for years. not too interested in spending much time living at either extreme anymore. Pretty happy with my southern chile average temps of around 10 to 20 Celsius.

Although does make me inclined to go shopping for a property a bit futher south in the patagonia for the long-term, in the event these heat spikes become more common someday.

probably just the crazy amount of tourist around frutillar is more motivating to find a summer escape further south than the temp.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:15 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:35 am
I have lived in climates above 40 c and below -40 c, for years. not too interested in spending much time living at either extreme anymore. Pretty happy with my southern chile average temps of around 10 to 20 Celsius.

Although does make me inclined to go shopping for a property a bit futher south in the patagonia for the long-term, in the event these heat spikes become more common someday.

probably just the crazy amount of tourist around frutillar is more motivating to find a summer escape further south than the temp.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....was wondering how much further south I would have to go before the pendulum switched and I was dealing with year around below zero lol. I thought maybe Puerto Montt/Varas which is quite a bit further south than where I am in Araucania, but it sounds like it is still got the business end of the heat wave as much as we did. Much further south and other amenities begin to drop off the map of decadence. ; )

Ive been running this portable AC unit I got for the last 3 days nonstop. It has been a real lifesaver...worth every peso I paid for it. Something crazy...first 2 days the thing was pouring out water. I kid your not...it was producing 10-20 liters of water a day! We could hardly keep the drain pain from overflowing. Then by the third day it has hardly produced any water. We weren't even using the dehumidifier setting, just the ac setting. Apparently we had a ton of water in the air and now the unit has removed all this water from the air. It is soooo much more bearable in the house.
I am still just in awe that so much water was in the air, it almost seems impossible.

Fortunately the heat wave is over and it is returning to normal now. Yes living between 10-20C was something I took for granted. Now I am going to look into a serious five figure BTU split/wall mount ducted system and get it installed in the house. Then I can just use the 9K BTU portable one I have for my office when the need arises. Not sure how long the portable will last running at the 24/7 duty cycle though lol : )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 am

short of antartica, or a glacier on top of a mountain, i dont think there is anywhere in chile that is near zero all year. even puerto natalias set a a record at a whopping 20+ celcius.

most of chile is a martime climate that is pretty stable all year around, just more or less rain depending on where you live. while we were having a heat wave in the south, in the far north dessert they were having flash floods.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:46 am

Inland from the coast changes that stability. If I lived on the other side of this hill, it would easily have been 25-30 vs. 17-20.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:33 am

Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile