record heat in the south of chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

record heat in the south of chile

Post by admin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:14 pm

so local paper said yesterday was a record 35 degrees celcious in PM since records have been kept.

my high tech Chinese, 500 peso, thermometer says we broke that just now at 4 pm in frutillar. kick in lots of humidity, and it is down right dangerious. past the point where the human body can regulate its temp correctly. we sent all our people that work for us in the south home.
20190204_160337-467x877.jpg
looks like rain Wednesday in the 10th.

the 9th region is all on fire. drove through there yesterday, and in the hour we were there seen 5 fires along the road just getting started.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: record heat in the south of chile

Post by admin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:40 pm

why heat + humidity is so dangerious, and will get more dangerous:

https://slate.com/technology/2017/12/hu ... change.amp

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:43 pm

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:47 pm

so far frutillar is still pretty green still, but that can change pretty fast with this heat.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm

20190204_165932-600x800.jpg

papageno

Post by papageno » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm
20190204_165932-600x800.jpg
Is your thermometer in the sun? I'm in Puerto Varas, and it's not (quite)THAT hot. But still hotter than Playa del Carmen, where I just returned from... :shock:

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Poor poor poor inland people :mrgreen:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mem

Post by mem » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:01 pm

I was just about to post a thread where I whine and moan about this heat

We are near caburgua and the last 4 days have been absolute murder. We get up at the wee hours and close off all the windows and doors, block all the radiant heat from coming in and it is just not working...normally it works really well with the odd hot day. We can keep cool air in the house most of the day. But with this hellish heatwave we are having the house at 24 or 25 at 3am! Unheard of. Then it just rises all day. 24/25 is usually the high in the house with cooping up cool air in the house

Yesterday, I just couldnt handle it anymore. I set off in the car in the middle of the day when it is almost 40c out and make it my mission to procure an AC unit for the sake of myself and family. Of course this was going to be a crappy portable unit, versus a smart split/ducted system, cause I need something instant. Up until now I thought my various tricks to weather hot days was enough, but now I feel like I have no choice. It is utter misery.
I also have a lot of computer equipment that gives me gray hairs if the fans have to run at 100% just to stop from overheating. So I am motivated

So I get a unit and truck it home, when I arrive I am almost ready to collapse from carrying this heavy unit to my car and sitting in 40c tourist lemming traffic. I guzzle a few liters of water while sweating like crazy and get the thing assembled and now have it running. I am ashamed to be running such an inefficient portable AC unit and even with closing off most of the house and just using it to cool the main downstairs room it is only making it barely livable. I mean it is not dominating the heat it is just lowering the temp in the house by a few C. But its good enough for a quick fix to get past this heat wave.

ive been here for several summers and never, ever has it been this bad for so many consecutive days. I have no idea how tourists can enjoy themselves during this heat. It is not like this is Vegas where every building is 24/7 AC'd and there are no such things as power outages.

We went to town the other night and ate at a restaurant. The power went out in town, and the restaurant we were at had a generator...suddenly all these warm bodies of tourists started storming the place like a zombie apocalypse trying to get a table because the place we were at had a generator and lights and AC running.
What is even funnier or worse, is we were ready to go and I had to shoot off a flare just to get the cuenta. No joke, my wife and kids were outside and I was at the table waiting for the check and I couldn't even get the time of day from the waiter. Yeah they were busy, but with the zombie hordes at the door I would think they would be itching to clear our table (which could seat 6) to let in the fresh CLP lemmings...but no...I sat there for 15minutes trying to flag down someone to get the check while my wife gave me the dagger stare from outside wondering what was going on.
Alas...the inefficiency

I can;t stand the high season...the most miserable time of the year for me. The traffic, the heat, the power cuts. But this year is one of the worst for heat
Give me a cold rainy day any other time of the 10 months of the year and I am happy as a clam. I would much rather heat the house up to a comfortable temperature than have to contend with living in this microwave

Ok, rant over I feel a little better : )

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Our air conditioner leaked its gas and wasn't working, so it went up to 32°C inside, thanks to 36°C outside. The insulation of our house is well above the average but it's too small (55-60m^2) to sustain this heat for a whole day.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Currently cool as cukes at 20°C in Serena.

(The Relative Humidity sensor looks a bit dodgy though)
Forecast is for hotter weather next week, but I prefer it like this.
chart.jpg
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:41 pm

Bunch of whimps! with a little bit of heat ya´ll melting down! :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:04 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 pm
Currently cool as cukes at 20°C in Serena.

(The Relative Humidity sensor looks a bit dodgy though)
Forecast is for hotter weather next week, but I prefer it like this.
chart.jpg
17 grados, overcast with a cool ocean breeze during the heat of the day hours ago. The poor Santiago flaites were freezing their butts off. :mrgreen:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat