Noise of garbage truck

General topics related to Living in Chile
Hasti

Noise of garbage truck

Post by Hasti » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Hi, I have recently moved to a new apartment in Ñuñoa close to the UMCE (Universidad Metropolitana de Ciencias de la Educación). There is a garbage truck which collects the garbage of the university every day at 5:20 am in the morning, making a lot of annoying noise for an almost 30 minutes. I went to the university complaining about the noise and they sent an email to the responsable company cydlimitada asking for the change of hours to be between 6:30 and 7:00 am. However there was no change. I insisted and they sent 2 more emails, but still no change.
Today I filled a complain form in "seremi de salud", but I would like to know if I can do more. Is it posible to call carabineros and complain? Based on a quick search in google, between 23:00 hrs and 6:00 hrs one can not make loud noises in the neighborhood. I am very desperate, any help would be highly appreciated.

passport

Re: Noise of garbage truck

Post by passport » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Good luck with your attempt to change the pickup time, hope it works. That being said, you might try foam earplugs in combination with sound cancellation headphones, even with some music or white noise piped in. That can be so effective that it becomes difficult to wake up to an alarm clock.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Hasti wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:09 pm
Hi, I have recently moved to a new apartment in Ñuñoa close to the UMCE (Universidad Metropolitana de Ciencias de la Educación). There is a garbage truck which collects the garbage of the university every day at 5:20 am in the morning, making a lot of annoying noise for an almost 30 minutes. I went to the university complaining about the noise and they sent an email to the responsable company cydlimitada asking for the change of hours to be between 6:30 and 7:00 am. However there was no change. I insisted and they sent 2 more emails, but still no change.
Today I filled a complain form in "seremi de salud", but I would like to know if I can do more. Is it posible to call carabineros and complain? Based on a quick search in google, between 23:00 hrs and 6:00 hrs one can not make loud noises in the neighborhood. I am very desperate, any help would be highly appreciated.
I know how you feel. Have you tried good ear plugs? I'd start looking for a new apartment, in case it doesn't stop. I was told they could start making noise here at 9am. Not good when you don't get to sleep until 6am.

This is what I use:
https://www.sodimac.cl/sodimac-cl/produ ... es/3450139

They don't help when your neighbor is knocking down a concrete wall 2 feet from where you sleep, but they might work for you.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Hasti wrote:
Make a formal complaint letter adressed to the Alcalde de Ñuñoa and bring it in person to the Municipality. Ask to speak to the person in charge of Aseo y Ornato ( or whatever is called) and don't leave until you get satisfaction. If they don't do nothing about it, the letter will serve as a backup.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Collect signatures in the area affected.

--------------------------------------------------
Mathematics is simply the science of prediction.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:45 pm

Talk to junta de vecinos and post your complaint on sosafe app.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:53 pm

And do let us know how it goes.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 pm

This is what I use:
https://www.sodimac.cl/sodimac-cl/produ ... es/3450139
These are OK but you can get better ones at aliexpress, look for moldable silicone earplugs.

Hasti

Post by Hasti » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:16 am

Gloria wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm
Hasti wrote:
Make a formal complaint letter adressed to the Alcalde de Ñuñoa and bring it in person to the Municipality. Ask to speak to the person in charge of Aseo y Ornato ( or whatever is called) and don't leave until you get satisfaction. If they don't do nothing about it, the letter will serve as a backup.
Thank you for the suggestion but the truck is not from the municipality, the university has hired a company (cydlimitada) to pick up the garbage. I am not sure if the municipality can help us in this regard.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Hasti wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:16 am
Gloria wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm
Hasti wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion but the truck is not from the municipality, the university has hired a company (cydlimitada) to pick up the garbage. I am not sure if the municipality can help us in this regard.
http://www.cydlimitada.cl/contacto/

Sometimes you need to let your fingers do the walking. Over and out!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.