Super Blood Wolf Full Moon Lunar Eclipse 20/21st

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Re: Super Blood Wolf Full Moon Lunar Eclipse 20/21st

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 pm

And a propósito:
There appears much probability in the view first proposed by Mr. P. Scrope, that when the barometer is low, and when rain might naturally be expected to fall, the diminished pressure of the atmosphere over a wide extent of country, might well determine the precise day on which the earth, already stretched to the utmost by the subterranean forces, should yield, crack, and consequently tremble.
Charles Darwin -Voyage of the Beagle, 1845

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/944
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 pm
Not saying I'm right, its just an unscientific suppose. But have a look at the last bit of my post that I added after you quoted it. Don't think those guys are cranks...
Hmmmmmm, I lso started going down rabbit holes on the web after that earlier comment, and I have jumped the gun I think, re the moon relation and what's come out in the last few years , maybe that nutter kiwi wasnt just getting high, and they were a bit harsh into forcing him into exile in outback oz , come back Ken all is forgiven. I'll have to re evaluate my views on that and update myself I think.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:12 am

Very unlikely scientifically speaking that there is a relationship between lunar eclipses and earthquakes.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:16 am

Britkid wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:12 am
Very unlikely scientifically speaking that there is a relationship between lunar eclipses and earthquakes.
Who said there was?
I'm not a scientist of any kind btw. Are you?
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:37 am

Britkid wrote:
Actually scientists are divided on this and some suspect there is a link but they dont have evidence, the mass of water moved by the tides maybe enough to creaste pressure and strains , the straw that breaks s the camels back so to speak, so indirectly there maybe a relationship, the jury is still out apparantly

https://www.google.cl/url?sa=i&source=w ... 3603975024
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:50 am

Even speculation on global magnetic field changes. In the end, it is the mechanism that is the mystery.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:16 am
Britkid wrote:
Who said there was?
I'm not a scientist of any kind btw. Are you?
I have a degree in astrophysics as well as another masters degree in science.

Claiming that tides cause an earthquake sounds dodgy and very doubtful to me and probably wrong but it's not completely ridiculous.

However, using this argument with relation to eclipses specifically makes little sense since the difference in tidal forces between a regular full moon and an eclipsed full moon will be negligible since the difference between the relevant positions of the sun, moon and Earth between regular full moon and eclipse full moon are very small and hence the difference in gravitational forces will also be small (and yes I know this because I have studied the relevant astrophysics).

It probably is true that tidal forces in an eclipse are at a maximum, but it's probably only 2% or 3% higher or at the absolute most 5% or 10% than a regular full moon if you worked it out. (i.e. precise alignment of earth, sun and moon at eclipse vs very close alignment at regular full and new moon).

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:28 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:37 am
Britkid wrote:
Actually scientists are divided on this and some suspect there is a link but they dont have evidence, the mass of water moved by the tides maybe enough to creaste pressure and strains , the straw that breaks s the camels back so to speak, so indirectly there maybe a relationship, the jury is still out apparantly

https://www.google.cl/url?sa=i&source=w ... 3603975024
I just read the Atlantic article. It looks inconclusive. I do think the Atlantic is a trustworthy source - as well as being one of the few truly non-partisan sources in the US. It is anti-Trump, but it is neutral as far as I can tell on questions on Democrat vs Republican and liberal vs conservative.

However, note that I said that it was unlikely that there was a connection to eclipses specifically. The article only talks about tides and lunar phases but nothing about the eclipses specifically so it isn't actually a rebuttal to my comment since the goalposts have been moved.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Britkid wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm
[
I have a degree in astrophysics as well as another masters degree in science.
Claiming that tides cause an earthquake sounds dodgy and very doubtful to me and probably wrong but it's not completely ridiculous.
You may be a rocket scientist, but you seem to have comprehension problems. Where in this discussion has anyone claimed that tides cause earthquakes?? Tectonic plate interactions cause earthquakes. There may be external factors that affect these interactions. Yes?
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 pm

Keep in mind that water is very heavy, so there's a lot of weight shifting between high and low tide. And the interior of the earth isn't completely solid. So that's a lot of stuff sloshing around, because of the pull from the sun and moon. And the probability that something will happen during some type of extreme (like an eclipse) could easily be higher, than during a more moderate phase.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin