Super Blood Wolf Full Moon Lunar Eclipse 20/21st

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

Re: Super Blood Wolf Full Moon Lunar Eclipse 20/21st

Post by admin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:22 am

i have to say that was one of the best night skies i have seen in southern chile, especially considering i expected to see nothing due to the clouds. just a lot going on jn the sky. very cool to be looking at a full, super-sized moon, and the milky way was brighter than the moon. in the middle of the eclipse i also had a satilite go zippping by south to north between the two.

someday i am going sit down with a historic list of eclipses in my life and try to count how many i have seen, and then figure out how many i would have seen if i had hung around where i was born. i have been very lucky to be in the right place in the world at the right time to catch eclipses. recent years southern chile seems to have yielded a whole mess of them, along with a lot of unpolluted viewing.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 am

Yes it was impressive and cloud cleared just in time last evening, I didn't think we had chance after the cloud/drizzle we had for most of the day yesterday.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:04 am

It was OK, very dark moon, by far less bright than usual, perhaps thousands of times less bright than a normal moon (?), even some of the stars looked brighter than the moon. It was quite red, especially around the edges, although some parts of it just looked dark. What was cool was when the regular moon started coming back and you could still see the whole red moon with a bright part at the bottom right. And then by the time you had about 20% of the regular moon back the rest of it I couldn't really see any more next to the light of a regular zoom.

Hard holding the camera still enough to take photos on a 40x zoom without a tripod, the slightest jitter on my hand and the moon was out of shot, got a few OK ones and about 50 blurry ones or photos of nothing.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:16 am

yea i made the mistake of setting up my tri-pod on the deck rather than the yard, which all the movment to telegraph through the lens.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:49 am

Photos posted online
https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentia ... e-jan-2019
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/21/scie ... rmoon.html

I am attaching some of my own photos. They don't really show any detail but are fairly true to what I could see with the naked eye.
rsz_p1120643.jpg
rsz_p1120613.jpg
rsz_p1120612.jpg
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 am

Just after the central part of the eclipse, with the uneclipsed moon starting to come back.
Attachments
rsz_p1120649.jpg

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:27 am

Yeah just a coincidence, how many major quakes have occurred when there wasn't a full moon? There was a guy after Christchurch quakes called Ken Ring aka the moon man, caused mass hysteria and panic claiming there was going to be another even bigger quake on the1st full moon after the deadly one in 2011 ( there wasnt) I think he hides out in the out back of Australia now, with his "theories"
Considering that its the Sun and Moon's pull on the earth that cause ocean Tides, its not so far-fetched to suppose that they could trigger movements in the Earth's plates as well in unstable areas. Not that I'm condoning some Kiwi nutter....

https://earthsky.org/earth/tides-and-th ... on-and-sun
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:45 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm
41southchile wrote:

Yeah just a coincidence, how many major quakes have occurred when there wasn't a full moon? There was a guy after Christchurch quakes called Ken Ring aka the moon man, caused mass hysteria and panic claiming there was going to be another even bigger quake on the1st full moon after the deadly one in 2011 ( there wasnt) I think he hides out in the out back of Australia now, with his "theories"
Considering that its the Sun and Moon's pull on the earth that cause ocean Tides, its not so far-fetched to suppose that they could trigger movements in the Earth's plates as well in unstable areas. Not that I'm condoning some Kiwi nutter....

My house tilts a little with the tides
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:29 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm
41southchile wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty far fetched, one is liquid water , the other is solid rock, I get how tides work and it makes sense with a body of water being influenced by the gravity of the moon, weather systems etc all influence that huge liquid body of water, but it's kind of a big leap to suggest the moons slight gravitational pull can lift up a fault line up 20 meters vertically or 40 horizontally as happens in some quakes .
Even to suggest the moon could pull solid rock up just 1 meter doesn't really make much sense to me, or even trigger a quake, why isn't the moon pulling us closer towards to it if it's that strong that it can lift up billion and billions of tonnes of solid rock up in a few seconds or cause that to happen in some random way by triggering it? do tides match when there is supposed moon related quake? I just think theres too many holes in the moon theory . As I say that's just me, people can believe what they want I guess, as long as it doesn't affect others, but in this case it does, and unnecessarily alarms and frightens/stressed people causing them to make bad decisions.
He is a kiwi nutter, but he's not the only nutter, they all have a bit of dubious pseudoscience thinking they have solved what thousands of scientists can't in their back shed while probably smoking some weed or something
and can be dangerous in stressful situations.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:29 pm

it's kind of a big leap to suggest the moons slight gravitational pull can lift up a fault line up 20 meters vertically or 40 horizontally as happens in some quakes .
Even to suggest the moon could pull solid rock up just 1 meter doesn't really make much sense to me,
That's not what I said or meant. To explain, suppose there are two overlapping tectonic plates that have been gradually building up stresses between them. It could be that the slight change in pressures caused by, say increased lunar proximity, could be enough to reduce the friction between them and trigger an event that was going to happen sooner or later anyway.

If you consider that far-fetched, what about this?

Earthquake Weather: Relationships between barometric pressure changes and seismicity

West, J.D., Garnero, E.J., and Shirzaei, M., School of Earth and Space Exploration, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:02 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 pm
41southchile wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:29 pm

it's kind of a big leap to suggest the moons slight gravitational pull can lift up a fault line up 20 meters vertically or 40 horizontally as happens in some quakes .
Even to suggest the moon could pull solid rock up just 1 meter doesn't really make much sense to me,
That's not what I said. To make it clearer, suppose there are two overlapping tectonic plates that have been gradually building up stresses between them. It could be that the slight change in pressures caused by, say increased lunar proximity, could be enough to reduce the friction between them and trigger an event that was going to happen sooner or later anyway.
Ok, but I did say "even trigger in some way" also in what I said before, maybe your right, I dont know , I still think those moon fanatics do more harm than good , but that's maybe just me being bias. And it still doesn't really help anything by being able to predict them or even come close to giving specific locations, it's just a lot of boy who cried wolf scenarios.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 pm

Not saying I'm right, its just an unscientific suppose. But have a look at the last bit of my post that I added after you quoted it. Don't think those guys are cranks...
Après moi, le déluge