The official thread re the future Valpo megaquake

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: The official thread re the future Valpo megaquake

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 am

I just went for a walk through one of those new neighborhoods with a bunch of white houses that all look the same. With roofs made out of those half-round clay-colored things. And apparently there's not much underneath those clay-colored things, except just enough narrow slats of wood to nail them to. And unfortunately the nails didn't hold very well last night. It's a good thing this is summer, and it doesn't rain very much here. I'm supposed to look at one of them tomorrow, so I'll be able to see how well the insides held up.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:46 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 am
I just went for a walk through one of those new neighborhoods with a bunch of white houses that all look the same.
ittle boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boxes

With roofs made out of those half-round clay-colored things.
Those are Tejas.
The traditional ones can be lethal weapons when a quake shakes them off a roof. They are also quite heavy, each one weighs over 2 kg, so a building's load-bearing qualities and its roof structure need to allow for that, which ups the cost. And all that weight up on top isn't a good idea in a seismic area. They also require periodic rehanging as Termites eat the wooden battens and salt air corrodes the fixings. In the days before wood sheeting and roofing felt, the battens were nailed directly to the rafters, so if the tile broke the rain came in. They may still build this way for (false) economy.

And tejas need to be "cured" before hanging, otherwise they eventually split. Found that out the hard way.

In short, a nice-looking PITA. Modern substitutes are better, though
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:10 am

yea those make no sense when there are bunch of lighter, safer, and more durrable options that still have the look.

you drive around anywhere where that was a common building material, and after a few years all the roof structure is sagging. that is, if a quake has not already taken out the structure. unfotunatly in chile, they often got replaced by crappy looking zink metal roofs, rather than something that preserved the look.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:27 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:46 am
I just went for a walk through one of those new neighborhoods with a bunch of white houses that all look the same.
ittle boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boxes

With roofs made out of those half-round clay-colored things.
Those are Tejas.
The traditional ones can be lethal weapons when a quake shakes them off a roof. They are also quite heavy, each one weighs over 2 kg, so a building's load-bearing qualities and its roof structure need to allow for that, which ups the cost. And all that weight up on top isn't a good idea in a seismic area. They also require periodic rehanging as Termites eat the wooden battens and salt air corrodes the fixings. In the days before wood sheeting and roofing felt, the battens were nailed directly to the rafters, so if the tile broke the rain came in. They may still build this way for (false) economy.

And tejas need to be "cured" before hanging, otherwise they eventually split. Found that out the hard way.

In short, a nice-looking PITA. Modern substitutes are better, though
These houses are only a couple years old. So I think they already have the modern substitutes, if you mean those things that only look like the heavy clay tejas. I'll probably walk by again tonight, to get a closer look. My appointment today got postponed until tomorrow, so I won't see the inside until then. The house I'm in now only lost a few tejas, but there's something underneath them. I think it was build around 2006.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:36 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:10 am
yea those make no sense when there are bunch of lighter, safer, and more durrable options that still have the look.
I think that's what those new white houses have. They look the same as those clay things, but didn't hold up too well to the earthquake.
admin wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:10 am
you drive around anywhere where that was a common building material, and after a few years all the roof structure is sagging. that is, if a quake has not already taken out the structure. unfotunatly in chile, they often got replaced by crappy looking zink metal roofs, rather than something that preserved the look.
I haven't seen the sagging problem here. The buildings with the solid construction seem to hold up well to earthquakes. Those roofs in that new neighborhood are the first real problem I've seen here, except for the beach where the tsunami hit in 2015.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 pm

i have seen some of the older houses with a little tiny trusses, with a 20+ span, spaced 3 meters apart, holding up thousands of pounds of shingles. over say 30+ years, gravity tends to win that battle.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:14 pm

I took another walk, and there's more roof damage than I thought. But the worst so far, is these new houses. It looks like horizontal 2x2's, spaced so that they can nail the top of each teja. They look like this:
https://www.easy.cl/es/easy-chile/teja- ... a-1053012p

I'm guessing the bottoms weren't nailed down, so every time the houses bounced, the tejas sorta flopped and got pried off a little more. And they eventually just fell off. And the ones that didn't fall off are probably not too secure anymore.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:44 am

In Serena the hopefully-aftershocks-and-not-precursors continue. We had quite a strong one just over an hour ago.

Fuerte réplica despierta a la Región de Coquimbo la mañana de este jueves

Yesterday, just in time as it turns out, we pulled down the wooden cornice above an old doorway which was barely hanging on. It must weigh 30 kg and it had been fastened using eight inch wooden stakes that had mostly pulled out of the adobe wall.

Here's a pic showing the problem with loose Tejas, an accident waiting to happen.
Never a dull moment in Chilito....
010a.jpg
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:35 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:44 am
In Serena the hopefully-aftershocks-and-not-precursors continue.
I remember seeing a line of cars moving out of the neighborhood after the 8.3 in 2015. And again after this one. It's probably a good idea, if you have some other place to go. I read the other day that the probability of any earthquake being a foreshock is about 6%. That's the worldwide probability. It didn't mention Chile specifically.
fraggle092 wrote:
We had quite a strong one just over an hour ago.

Fuerte réplica despierta a la Región de Coquimbo la mañana de este jueves
I was just getting to sleep when that one woke me up. The preliminary report had it at a 5.4, closer to Tongoy. Now it's a 4.8. I was pretty sure it was at least a 5.
fraggle092 wrote:
Yesterday, just in time as it turns out, we pulled down the wooden cornice above an old doorway which was barely hanging on. It must weigh 30 kg and it had been fastened using eight inch wooden stakes that had mostly pulled out of the adobe wall.

Here's a pic showing the problem with loose Tejas, an accident waiting to happen.
Never a dull moment in Chilito....

010a.jpg
I'm seeing lots of those around here too. My roof held up pretty well, but I still have to be careful of where I'm standing. I've been walking around checking out all the different types of roofs, so I know which ones to avoid when I rent or buy my next house.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:52 pm

It was the 80th anniversary the other day of Chiles most deadly earthquake, 1939 in Chillan, 30000 killed, it marked a turning point in construction standards and materials used in new builds in Chile. Some fascinating photos here
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... Chile.html
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:54 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:52 pm
It was the 80th anniversary the other day of Chiles most deadly earthquake, 1939 in Chillan, 30000 killed, it marked a turning point in construction standards and materials used in new builds in Chile. Some fascinating photos here
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... Chile.html
Yikes, I think I'll live in a yurt. I just walked by those new houses, and looked at a pile of concrete tejas that fell off. Those things look dangerous.

And while we're waiting for the Valpo megaquake, people in Japan are getting nervous because they're starting to see oarfish washing up on shore.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:59 am

Coquimbo is seeming a little less stable than usual. Maybe it's just aftershocks, but I'm starting to wonder.