The official thread re the future Valpo megaquake

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Re: The official thread re the future Valpo megaquake

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:23 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:59 am
Coquimbo is seeming a little less stable than usual.
No such thing as "usual" when it comes to tremors, in this area at least.
There have been at least seven in the last couple of days, the last one woke me up at 0545 this morning.

One year, sometime between the previous local major event in 1997, and the mega-shake in 2010, we had 2 or 3 months of tremors, at least one almost every day. Then they stopped.

Chileans, (and I must admit me as well now), have a mild psychosis about these events, as you are never sure at the outset whether a tremor is going to be just a rumble and a gentle shake or is the start of something bigger.
Après moi, le déluge

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:23 pm
Chileans, (and I must admit me as well now), have a mild psychosis about these events, as you are never sure at the outset whether a tremor is going to be just a rumble and a gentle shake or is the start of something bigger.
That was the scariest thing about the 8.3 I experienced here.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:03 am

fraggle092 wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:59 am
Coquimbo is seeming a little less stable than usual.
No such thing as "usual" when it comes to tremors, in this area at least.
There have been at least seven in the last couple of days, the last one woke me up at 0545 this morning.

One year, sometime between the previous local major event in 1997, and the mega-shake in 2010, we had 2 or 3 months of tremors, at least one almost every day. Then they stopped.

I stopped worrying about earthquakes after the 8.3 a few years ago, where nothing really happened where I'm at. But that "smaller" 6.7, with all the roof damage, kinda woke me up to what could happen. I don't have that psychosis yet, since I still feel like anything that starts out as a rumble is going to be a small one. But that could change any minute now :shock:
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 am

BTW, in two hours, Happy Anniversary 2010 Quake!!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:38 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 am
BTW, in two hours, Happy Anniversary 2010 Quake!!
9 years already, remember it like it was yesterday. Mind you dont think I'll ever forget it, that memory is quite ingrained.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:24 am

7.0 in arica.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:13 am

admin wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:24 am
7.0 in arica.
Way up in Perú and very deep over 200km
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Maybe that's what's happening now. We had a 5.7 yesterday. And I was just walking home when we had a 4.7, and everything outside was shaking. That's the first time I saw that with anything that small. Usually I'm inside, and just hear them. Maybe they're just closer than I'm used to. The main thing that concerns me about these, is they're right out across the bay.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin