RUT Number

General topics related to Living in Chile
questionsasked

RUT Number

Post by questionsasked » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:23 am

Hi All,

Last time I was in Chile I purchased a car and have a RUT number from that transaction.

What else can I do with this RUT number? Can I purchase an internet connection? Do other things with it?

Or is it restricted to purchasing a car?

Thanks,
Linda

Britkid

Re: RUT Number

Post by Britkid » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:20 pm

A RUT number can be used for other things including contracting utilities like internet.

Memorise your RUT and keep the cedula card with the RUT number on it with you at all times.

However, one concern I do have is that if your RUT was tied to a temporary or permanent residence it may expire or become less effective once that residence expired. So, if the RUT is recent and you are still on the same visa/residence permit from when you were last here, you should be fine. But if the RUT was from years and years ago you might not be able to use it.

I'm not completely sure so hopefully someone else can come and confirm or deny this - if not go and ask the appropriate organization here in Chile.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Okay, this RUT number was given to me to purchase a car last year. I thought maybe I can't use it for anything else. But I can? Thanks for the information.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:47 am

questionsasked wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:59 pm
Okay, this RUT number was given to me to purchase a car last year. I thought maybe I can't use it for anything else. But I can? Thanks for the information.
You apply for a RUT, nobody "gives" it to you.....and the question was how long ago was it "given" to you...it may have expired.....for someone who is bringing philanthropist to Chile you don't seem very aware of the basics.....
It's all about the wine.

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:32 am

nwdiver wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:47 am
questionsasked wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:59 pm
You apply for a RUT, nobody "gives" it to you.....and the question was how long ago was it "given" to you...it may have expired.....for someone who is bringing philanthropist to Chile you don't seem very aware of the basics.....
Why the arrogance and the hostility? Are you feeling threatened by what I have said on this forum? Why would you feel threatened by me? Because I suggest that you reevaluate why you are in Chile and how you could benefit Chileans more than you do? This is very important to me to get right.

If you don't have accurate information about RUT numbers, please don't respond to my post.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:31 pm

NW was not hostile or arrogant. He was clarifying the situation. Is it possible the seller helped you obtain a RUT and you thought it was assigned without an application?

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:41 pm

No, I thought that a RUT number issued for the purpose of purchasing a vehicle cannot be used for anything else.

Is that accurate or not?

Thank you.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm

A temporary RUT is just tax ID number for non-residents. After car or property purchases, not much more use to it maybe see if you can sign up for Chile's Walmart points program with it.

---- glad I was celebrating Xmas with my Chilean family than following the pudrida mierda that was dumped on this "expat" forum, it does remind me of an El Puelche joke though, carry on...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:55 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm
---- glad I was celebrating Xmas with my Chilean family than following the pudrida mierda that was dumped on this "expat" forum, it does remind me of an El Puelche joke though, carry on...
Why do you think expats are unpopular in Chile? Why do you think they get no respect? You have to give respect to get it, right? Why take the lowest form of Chilean culture and make it your own? Do you have personal standards that go beyond you and your "Chilean" family? Perhaps not.

Think on others more than you do before shelling out insults.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:02 pm

EL Puelche or Patagonia X :alien:

Pretty weak acting but entertaining none the less.

O y de nada for answering your idiot question.

I have never seen expats from developed countries in general as a group being disrespected unless you mean expats from less developed countries causing problems in Santiago or the northern cities, then you have a point, unless maybe you were talking about yourself as I can see how such a shining personality as yourself may rub Chileans and non-Chileans wrong.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:04 am

Something puzzles me. If you only ever had a temporary RUT for purchasing a car then you presumably never had residence in Chile. It would be interesting to know exactly how much time you have spent in Chile because your views of the country and expats seems to be very superficial. This often happens with tourists who write blogs with sweeping statements about Chile without a) being able to speak Spanish and b) accepting whatever views handed to them by whatever locals they come in contact with. Long term residents on this forum have a much better overview of the country even if their individual views may differ.

I think people are wondering how you formed your views and over what period of time because they come across as misinformed. All who have answered you on this thread are long time residents, except Britkid, and consider themselves residents rather than expats. We also represent more than one nationality and some are now citizens.

By the way, eeuunikkeiexpat's family are Chilean not "Chilean" and he isn't the only one to have a Chilean family.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:56 pm

Last active:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:03 pm

So after my post, -she/he/it/whatever SJW correct term- bailed.

--eeuunikkeiexpat